Author Topic: What are the first things you should do when you get your car from Japan?  (Read 5540 times)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
Hello, I am hoping to make a topic about what things should be done to an imported car when it gets off the boat.
This list I hope will be useful to me and anyone else that is looking to import or is in the process of importing or even buying a used car.
(hopefully this topic will be of enough quality to make it to JDM FAQ)

As we all know these cars most likely have been sitting in a compound somewhere collecting dust and have not received routine maintenance.

Recently I have purchase a 1995 Subaru Impreza WRX STi and I am importing it through William at JDM Connection, Shout out to him for all his help thus far,
and have been making a list of things to do to the car when it gets here.

Here is one of the pictures that have been haunting me throughout the waiting process of getting an import.
(more to come with my introduction thread when the car is sitting in my driveway)

That all being said I have made a list of things that I will be doing and would like to know everyone else's opinions on that list, eg. if I should add something to it.

If you are looking to import and would rather have all the fluids and things replaced (at a cost) talk to your importer, most times this can be arranged at a cheaper rate then getting a shop to do it in Canada. (I did it myself because I for sure know when it was done and I plan on doing all the work I can to my car in the future and see this as a good way of getting acquainted with it;))

General Inspection of Vehicle condition
Very First: Fix anything that needs to be fixed

(in no particular order)
1.)Install a block heater (Canadian winters)
2.)Replace the coolant and add coolant conditioner to prevent head gasket failure (OEM Subaru Long Life or Motul Inugel Coolant)
3.)Replace the tranny fluid (motul)(shout out for k_LX for being a good friend and ordering the majority of these parts/fluids for me, Also thanks to Ryan at VEX Performance for getting the fluids for my car)
4.)Replace the rear diff fluid
5.)Replace the air filter
6.)Replace the fuel filter (Motul Injector cleaner also a good idea)
7.)Change the oil, oil filter (Use OEM filter, good Synthetic Oil)
8.)Change break/clutch fluid (If needed)
9.)Change the power steering fluid
10.)Drain the Intercooler Spray for winter (and refill with windshield washer spray )
11.)Install daytime running lights(to pass out of province inspection)
12.)Replace washer fluid with winter washer fluid (importing in winter)
13.)Test battery, if needed replace (optima red top)
14.)Windshield wipers (replace if needed)
15.)Start looking for (Good deals) on Coil Pack Replacements (I will do the spark plugs at that time)
16.)Winter tires (William already helped me get some on in Japan)
17.)Clean Idle Air Control Valve and Mass Airflow Sensor if improper idle
18.)Clean, clean, clean!

What are people's opinions of this list? Would you add anything? Take off anything? Thoughts, Concerns?

Thanks for your time and thank you in advance for your input.

*Updated Dec. 28th 2010, 10:48 A.M

The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
Re: What are the first things you should do when you get your car from Japan?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:57:28 pm »
Use windshield washer fluid in your IC spray

Coilpacks are usually fine in the STI (Type RA's are all fine) don't replace unless they are actually failing

welcome, and nice ride!

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline Grasp

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Soren
  • Ride: All Toyota, All the time haha! 1990s Hiace Van, Crown Athlete with 1J! and Altezza
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:23:52 pm »
Number one on the list would be fix whatever needs doin' first! :) 
Out of the ones I've had, 3 of them had something that was urgent - 2 cooling related - blown rad/top reservoir, or brakes.  Other than your list - watch for MAF issues - I'd just leave it, but if you hesitate, clean the MAF, and likely you'll be golden.

Great looking car man!  congrats, the wait is always hard! :D

I forgot - Clean, clean clean!  Make it yours.
Right is tight. Come Check out the Import-Era
http://import-era.com

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:29:22 pm »
Number one on the list would be fix whatever needs doin' first! :) 
Out of the ones I've had, 3 of them had something that was urgent - 2 cooling related - blown rad/top reservoir, or brakes. 

that's too bad :(

pic by Black Archer

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:37:14 pm »
Check your rad hoses had both of mine go after doing the coolant

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:48:49 pm »
Are these MAF or MAP based?

While you're doing the maintenance, I would add that you should clean the MAF (if they are MAF-based) and clean the IACV.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline sniper512

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2003 Bug to the Eye
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »
MAF based with a MAP for altitude I believe.

Offline Gt93

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1997 gravel express
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:50:27 pm »
I think as long as you have the button for the fog lights on during the inspection they might over look the daay time running lights. I have never had a car from canada and never had the daytime running lights.

Offline sniper512

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:15:18 pm »
Haha that's how mine passes every time. I have had 3 in the last year. Our amazing BC police :(.

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
What are the first things you should do when you get your car from Japan?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:57:41 pm »
I think as long as you have the button for the fog lights on during the inspection they might over look the daay time running lights. I have never had a car from canada and never had the daytime running lights.

Didn actually need them until 1994's up er ...... Maybe 93 can't remember

pic by Black Archer

Offline Marshal

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 07:10:23 pm »
what about replacing a timing belt?  seeing as how the rubber usually fails with age, not kms

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:52:06 pm »
List updated, thanks guys, If something is still missing feel free to add your piece.

what about replacing a timing belt?  seeing as how the rubber usually fails with age, not kms

I considered adding timing belt replacement to the list but opted not to due to price of the replacement opposed to waiting until summer to do it with a buddy who is a mechanic on a weekend. The car is still in the 80 000km's range I would assume it is still alright but definitely will be looking into whether it has been replaced and what kind of condition it is in. Thanks!
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 08:57:41 pm »
If you're draining the coolant already, might as well remove the rad and do the timing belt yourself.

Just take your time... set aside several hours for it.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Marshal

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 09:06:56 pm »
first timing belt took me 6 hours, now, i can have it disassembled, assembled, and running in under 2 hours.
The key is to do it three times haha

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 09:29:18 pm »
Problem is that I am a university student and don't have any tools here, most of them are back in Slave Lake, how much is a timing belt? should i also then replace the same things that I had to do on my Tacoma when i did the timing belt on it, Water pump, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, crank seals, cam seals...?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 10:13:27 pm »
dont need to do the seals....

but water pump, idler pulleys and auto-tensioner.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 11:40:18 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies still not fully decided on the timing belt just looking around for pricing on them not rushing to buy one considering I don't know the condition of the belt yet. Anything else to add?

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • RA Motorsports - Element
    • RA Motorsports
  • Ride: 1987 Corolla GT-S, 1990 300SE, 2009 SX4 AWD, 2018 FXT
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 12:29:13 pm »
Didn actually need them until 1994's up er ...... Maybe 93 can't remember

pre '90 didn't
everything else did
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Need powder coating? PM me!

Offline jdmautoimports

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1996 Tommy Kaira M20b (coverted from a GF8 STi)
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 05:50:17 am »
Good list but unless you are planning on doing all these things yourself then have these done in Japan. The shop rate is cheaper than Calgary (where I am from), the mechanics there know these vehicles (most exporting shops also chop cars for parts so they have mechaics on hand) and can get parts a lot easier and usually cheaper than we can. And the big thing is when the car gets here (finally) then you do the DRL's have the OOP done and enjoy the car not work on it for another week so you can enjoy it.
Of course if you have the knowhow it is cheaper to do the work yourself and you get to learn about the car in the process. But when eve I import for myself, I always go to Vancouver (for a little R&R) and drive the car back to Calgary so I want to have the car in good order before it leaves Japan.
Just my two cents.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 10:42:00 am »
Good list but unless you are planning on doing all these things yourself then have these done in Japan. The shop rate is cheaper than Calgary (where I am from), the mechanics there know these vehicles (most exporting shops also chop cars for parts so they have mechaics on hand) and can get parts a lot easier and usually cheaper than we can. And the big thing is when the car gets here (finally) then you do the DRL's have the OOP done and enjoy the car not work on it for another week so you can enjoy it.
Of course if you have the knowhow it is cheaper to do the work yourself and you get to learn about the car in the process. But when eve I import for myself, I always go to Vancouver (for a little R&R) and drive the car back to Calgary so I want to have the car in good order before it leaves Japan.
Just my two cents.

Thanks for the reply, William had made that option available to me but I opted to do it myself. That being said I am doing it myself because I have the tools and the know how but that can't be said by everyone so I will add it to the list that the option is there. Thanks, welcome to WSC.  :)

Offline koalorka

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: STi Version II
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:54 pm »
Apart from observing the behaviour of the engine and transmission under low and high operating regimes, I would just change the fluids and tackle only immediate problems. Plus it's cold, I spent 30 minutes outside taking off the intercooler a few days ago and my genitals almost snapped off.

I suggest that you do source a coolant filler tank because it will fail eventually (they all do on the early turbo cars) and they are difficult to find. I found one new in the UK for $45 which was a steal, they normally sell for $170-200.

I'm running Motul 300V engine oil (expensive!) with a OEM GC8 filter I got from a dealer (it's a blue unit, made by Honeywell here in Canada).
Redline 75W90 gear oil in the rear LSD.
Tranny fluid looked new so that will remain until the spring.

Enjoy the car and post pictures when you get the chance!

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 01:44:41 am »
Apart from observing the behaviour of the engine and transmission under low and high operating regimes, I would just change the fluids and tackle only immediate problems. Plus it's cold, I spent 30 minutes outside taking off the intercooler a few days ago and my genitals almost snapped off.

I should be able to find a warm garage to use  and thats unfortunate about your genitals but hilarious

P.S. How the hell does the intercooler water tank come off? I wanted to remove it and drain it but can't figure out the attachment point.

Enjoy the car and post pictures when you get the chance!

In all honesty I was just going to get my car into a warm garage, wait for it to thaw out and just hold the button till it ran out.

and thanks, I am getting more and more excited about the car as the days pass and my parts and fluids pile grows, look out for my intro thread and the start of my build thread :)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 09:53:47 pm »
Anything else or is the list finalized? The car is set to arrive this week in Edmonton.

Offline curo72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 08:59:20 pm »
Not sure but I thought getting it tuned to run properly on our gas was a big one.

Offline sniper512

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 09:12:17 pm »
Its well debated. I suggest it as I have felt the difference even running stock boost.