Author Topic: 2020 Biking Thread  (Read 709 times)

Offline Anskiere

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 10 sti, 90 300ZX
Re: 2020 Biking Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 03:19:14 pm »
Done a lot of Fernie bike park, a day at pano, and Myra canyon.  Even managed to make it to the Thursday night race series in Fernie!  I'm the guy in the P9 jersey but took all the photos but that one.  I live like 2 minutes from east lands so I did a lot of riding there early in the season to get broken in a bit.  Moose has seemed really busy this year but I'd like to make it.  Going to Silverstar and Sun Peaks next week and going to shuttle Martha Creek in Revy.

EDIT: Is there a way to make the photos smaller?  I suck at this

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 10:06:20 am »

EDIT: Is there a way to make the photos smaller?  I suck at this

Add an S, M or L at the end of your link before the .jpg. Looks like an absolute blast though!

I had a pretty nasty fall on the Mercy Me jump line at Pano a week ago and have had to get some time off the bike since. Looking to get back on within the next week or so before I hit Fernie at the end of the month here.

Offline Anskiere

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 10 sti, 90 300ZX
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 07:11:36 pm »
Thanks, that's good to know.  Hope your feeling better, I'll be out the next couple weekends so hit me up!  Gonna take a newer rider on Project 9 this weekend, always a fun time

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2020, 02:45:06 pm »
I haven't owned a bike in years. I use to ride a 20" BMX when I was a teenager, then I bought a hardtail dirt jumper bike when I was in my early 20's but ended up selling it because I didn't ride it for probably 2 years due to knee pain whenever I would ride. Never really had a good mountain bike or roadbike either, so I didn't know what I was missing out on.

But after we moved back to Toronto, my brother in law had a roadbike sitting in the garage doing nothing for the last couple years, so I decided to take it out on a ride. Never had the chance to really ride a road bike before, so getting used to the narrow tires was weird, but I really enjoyed getting out and riding. A week or two after I started riding his bike, I was out on a run on garbage day and someone in the neighbourhood was throwing out an older TREK mountain bike (late 90's Trek Mountain Trek), so I ran home, grabbed the truck and picked it up. It was in good shape, just needed a bit of work on the derailers to get the full 21 speed and the grips replaced (the old ones were so old, the rubber was essentially melting). Since I grabbed that bike, I've probably put in over 150km in the last 3 weeks of just riding around the area I live. It's so much nicer to have a proper sized mountain bike that's set up correctly, vs having the pain caused by pedaling a smaller bike or standing all the time.

I'm now really considering buying a better bike in the next couple of months. Might look into a Dual Sport style bike so I can also enjoy it on the trails in the parks near by too.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2020, 06:41:57 am »
Not sure where in Toronto you're living, but there are tons of trails in the Don Valley. If you're willing to drive, there's Durham Forest to the east, The Hydro Cut in Kitchener/Waterloo, Albion Hills to the north, and then up in Barrie is Hardwood Hills and Copeland Forest, and in Gravenhurst is Buckwallow.

Trail Forks has pretty much all of the trail systems, but the ones I've listed I've been to and enjoy every time I ride them. They aren't Moose Mountain or Canmore....or anywhere else in the rockies, but they're what we have here in Onterrible.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2020, 04:18:21 pm »
I had the opportunity to get back on the bike this past week, and have been pretty stoked to ride again.

Spend some time in Revelstoke, and am super happy that they're pushing towards an expanded summer bike park. It's going to be unreal once they open more trails and are fully lift accessible. In the meantime, the Stoke climb definitely takes some effort and if you continue onto Mackenzie Ridge, you'll be pretty sore on the way down if you don't have a lot of saddle time prior to the ride. The fact that the 5620 trail is 15 km long is something else. Think of Crank it up in Whistler, but waaaay longer and with bigger more consistent hits all the way down. It's fantastic, but you know... you probably wouldn't like it.

The second spot I went to was Fernie, BC. I enjoyed the two days I spent riding here, but it was certainly dry and a bit of rain would have gone a long way. Overall, the bike park was good but I still think I prefer a park like Panorama simply because of the variety of trails that they have. Pano's tech blacks are more manicured sort of speak, and Fernie's are more raw. I also enjoy wood features, and Fernie's were a bit limited in that column.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 12:07:43 am »
Any recommendations on easy flowy trails to take my 6yo daughter on between Calgary and Banff?  We're going camping in Banff this weekend, I'll be bringing my gravel bike and her 20" hardtail.. would like to do some easy riding in-around the Kcountry if time permits..

Probably gonna do the Legacy Trail and the 1A where it's closed to cars, but if she's got the energy maybe hit up some nice easy trails or singletrack...
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 12:07:38 pm »
Any recommendations on easy flowy trails to take my 6yo daughter on between Calgary and Banff?  We're going camping in Banff this weekend, I'll be bringing my gravel bike and her 20" hardtail.. would like to do some easy riding in-around the Kcountry if time permits..

Probably gonna do the Legacy Trail and the 1A where it's closed to cars, but if she's got the energy maybe hit up some nice easy trails or singletrack...

Why not go to the Canmore Nordic Centre? There are quite a few trails in the area there, and even a little skills park/pump track. It'll give you some variety of things to do instead of riding next to the highway.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2020, 01:55:34 pm »
Why not go to the Canmore Nordic Centre?

Will check it out.. but she went with her mom and step-dad in July and she didn't like it..

Though maybe she'll feel more confident if I'm riding with her... :) 
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?