Author Topic: Looks like I'm one of three new members today  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
Looks like I'm one of three new members today
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:19:27 am »
I'm still not (officially) an owner yet, but the dealership is bringing in a 2013 Impreza for me, and I anticipate it'll be ready for me this week.

Long story short, until last month, I was a happy owner of a 2001 Integra (one that I bought new) until I got into an accident and was told the car was deemed a "total loss"; I'm 100% certain I had right of way, so I'm pretty choked about the whole situation.  Tried many other vehicles, but given my height, not many cars that suit my style fit me.  The 2012 Impreza was an excellent fit - not only for me in the driver's seat, but also for me behind the driver's seat with it set at my seat setting - and I was told that there were no substantial changes to the model (especially in terms of cabin space).

While it's sad for me to lose my Integra (especially since it was the last model year that Acura sold it here), I'm totally looking forward to owning the Impreza.

And no, it's not the WRX line - just the touring package on the base model (ie. 148 hp).  It's adequate, and adequate is all that matters to me (my days of driving solely for fun are pretty much in the rearview mirror; having a reliable daily commuter is good enough - having pep, decent handling, and great fuel economy are bonuses  ;D ).
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Offline Way_Gone

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2014 WRB STI Tsurugi
Re: Looks like I'm one of three new members today
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 12:24:01 am »
Nice, welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll find yourself very happy with your Impreza. They are still great cars in their n/a trim.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:01 am »
Thank you  :)

Truth be told, I did investigate buying an Impreza back in '01 - but if I remember correctly, they were only available in one colour at the time.  Since I wasn't that big a fan of blue (and especially not that sharp a blue colour), I quickly moved on to other models, and settled on the Integra.

Offline K9 Mum

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4X4
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:55 am »
Welcome!  You will love your Impreza as much as you loved your Integra.  Sorry to hear it was a total loss.  This forum is full of a bunch of great people.  Enjoy!

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:11:54 am »
Thanks.  I miss my Integra.   :'(

...and I can't wait to finally get my hands on my new Impreza.  Only a few more days, from what I gather...

Based on what I've read on site so far, I certainly agree that there appear to be a lot of great members here.  Definitely better than the other Subaru site I've come across (or maybe they're just more argumentative there...)

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:17:39 am »
Welcome to the club!

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:15:19 am »
Thanks!  I get my car today!  :)

Offline khris08

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 STi
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 12:34:37 pm »
Welcome! post some pics when you can.  :)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:09:36 am »
Will do.   ;)  I was hoping to get some shots done yesterday or today (it's one of the few things I regret not having done with my Integra when it was new), but yesterday was awfully cloudy with some light rain, and today has just been torrential rainfall for most of the day (and when the sun came out, I was nowhere near my car or my camera).

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:40:11 am »
Welcome :)  I have very fond memories of Integras.  It's a shame circumstances forced you to lose yours. 

May your new Impreza bring healing and closure! 

And pics in the rain can be sexy too :D
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:17 pm »
And pics in the rain can be sexy too :D

That's true.   ;D  Although I'd be worried about my camera in that case...

On a more serious note, thanks for the kind words.  I was personally more partial towards the styling of the 2nd generation Integra - I preferred the straight lines on it much more than the curves on the 3rd generation - but I was still very pleased and satisfied with the one I had (final model year, as mentioned earlier).  Especially since they went and changed the offering after it to the RSX (and then discontinued the line a few years later).  I never had any major complaints about it, although its fuel consumption was starting to get suspect in the last few years - abnormally high, but possibly due to driving patterns.

I'm still in the "breaking-in" period with my new car, so I haven't really taken it out for a drive yet.  As timing would have it, I should be done breaking it in at the end of this month.  Looking forward to seeing what this car can really do.  We had some early snowfall last year: bring it on, I say!!  >:D

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:24:15 pm »
I now have photos of my car, but no idea how to embed them into my post (and I don't want to upload them elsewhere).  Hmm.   :-\

EDIT:
I just RTFM over on "Questions and Complaints".  I now understand why I can't embed the photos onto my posts (technical and rationale).  Given that I would prefer not to upload them onto another site at this time, I guess the photos will have to wait.  Sorry.   :-[

Offline jaybo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2012 STI
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 07:25:26 pm »
Welcome to the club!!

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:58 pm »

I'm loving the information that I'm getting here on this site.  Probably shortened the "learning curve" significantly.  In some ways though, I feel like there's a bit of information overload.  ;)

In case anyone happens to know (because I haven't been successful so far in locating this information), any idea if the stock radio console can display non-latin characters, like (for example) Japanese or Chinese characters?  I know the manual says that it's only English or French, but I can't help but think that there's got to be some kind of hack out there that can make it display non-latin characters...

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 02:09:16 pm »
Since I have a photo to share in the "You park like an..." thread (that'll be uploaded once I get home, as I don't have any SD card readers nearby), I figured I might as well open up a flickr profile and upload my car's photo on it.

So, here y'all go.  :)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 10:14:38 am »
Completely missed the fact that my WSC "birthday" was earlier this month until I checked my profile.

Since then, I've had a few more shots of my car.  Here's after its first touchless car wash:

Its first snowfall (and currently, its only snowfall):

And after its first (and so far, only) detailing:

Generally, no major complaints with the vehicle.  There are some small quirks, but I think any vehicle (or any mechanical device for that matter) would have its own oddities.  It wasn't quite what I was in the market for (I was shopping for a BRZ at the time), but I'm perfectly ok with it.  For now.  Let's see what the new WRX specs and design look like, and whether or not the BRZ is still in production in a few years, when I'll be considering moving onto a different vehicle...

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 10:45:37 pm »
Thinking of trading this in for a '15+ WRX (maybe '17) or BRZ ('15+ assuming I fit).

I've heard from a friend that the BRZ is "underpowered".  Is the WRX handling as good or better than the BRZ?   :P

(Yes, this is the drunk me talking ;) )

Jarvatr0n

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 11:17:19 pm »
I'm new to owning a subaru but, I read a lot if not all positive reviews from subie owners! I am sure you will enjoy it as much as each and every subie owner!  ;)

Welcome!

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 11:38:10 pm »
I'm new to owning a subaru but, I read a lot if not all positive reviews from subie owners! I am sure you will enjoy it as much as each and every subie owner!  ;)

Welcome!

No, no.... Welcome to YOU!  :D

(but seriously, what is "it"?   :P )

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 04:58:26 pm »
I can't believe it's been almost 3 years now - both in terms of joining here, and in terms of ownership of my GJ.  And I'm going to celebrate that milestone (and the end of the bumper-to-bumper warranty :( ) by taking my car on an extensive roadtrip - Vegas and back.

I wonder how much it's going to like me after I put it through such a gruelling exercise?   :P

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 12:32:49 am »
Update (upgrade) - moved from my '13 Impreza to my new '18 WRX (CVT), sport trim.
(No, I'm not a new member any more ;) )

Only drove it home from the dealership so far.  Will provide my impressions after I've given it some road time.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 12:49:40 am »
I started reading the first post without looking at the date, and was like uhhh..... what?  :sarcasm:

Anyways, congrats on the acquisition! Pictures to come with the impressions I hope :)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 01:00:47 am »
Thanks - I do have a photo, it's on facebook, but I haven't figured out how to link it over here.  However, my avatar is essentially the same pic (edited for size and cropped for coherence).

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 10:25:03 am »
Congrats on the upgrade!
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline hunts_13

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2016 WRX
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
Congrats on the upgrade. I've had my Cvt for about a year and half now and have no complaints about it :)