Author Topic: Official WSC Hockey Thread  (Read 87057 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Official WSC Hockey Thread
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:20:09 am »
Since last season, there were so many individual threads about the NHL season, I thought I would start up one thread that can be used for discussion, bragging, and all the other misc topics that come along with our love for hockey.

So, to start things off on a good note: Anyone see the Canucks-Flames game yesterday? Any of you Flickers fans catch the result? Just a couple innocent questions to lead me to this: 6-0!!!

With that out of the way, some questions to get the discussion started:

1. Without using the typical "Wait-and-See" attitude, was it a good move for the Flames to pick up Bertuzzi?
2. Who is better, Crosby or Ovechkin?
3. Giving reasons, who is your favourite to win the cup this year?
4. Will the Oilers perform this season or should they stick to rebuilding for one more season?
5. Why do the Leafs suck so much (disregardinging their win over detroit last night)?
6. Who is the best goaltender in the NHL?
7. Who is the most underrated player in the NHL?

Before I let you guys go at'er... GO CANUCKS!!
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
Re: Official WSC Hockey Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:23:48 am »
1. Bertuzzi isn't any less washed up than he was for the past 2 years.
2. Crosby overall but I would rather have Ovechkin on my team.
3. Detroit to repeat.  They added Hossa to a cup winning team.
4. I have a feeling they'll get out to a slow start (most of the first 15 games are on the road) but really pick it up to come in around 6th in the conference.
5. Jeff Finger was their big signing for the summer.
6. After last night?  Luongo.  The Flames could have put the Canucks away early if it wasn't for him.
7. Willie Mitchell.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:24:50 am »
Flames Suck.

That is all.

Kidding (not really).
I don't really keep up to the second on player stats and trades, but I think the Oil might have another year before they can really be a force with a chance.
Of course, I still think their biggest problem is the coach. Too old, too stuck in his ways.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:27:19 am »
Of course, I still think their biggest problem is the coach. Too old, too stuck in his ways.
I'm guessing you didn't watch the last half of last year?  After Horcoff went down with his shoulder injury, MacT pretty much said "uckfay it" and let the guys do what they wanted.  He's never done that before and I think it really changed his outlook on things.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:34:33 am »
Ya, I did notice that. I just wasn't sure if the "outlook" change was permanent. I thought maybe a summer would bring him back to regular?
I haven't watched any of the pre-season, so I can't really say what's going on so far.

Maybe we could get lucky, and it will change for the better. Time will tell.

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • testing, testing, 1,2,3...!
    • Shane
  • Ride: 2018 WRB STi and 2000 JDM Forester STi
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 10:42:06 am »
If I get a chance to watch a bit more hockey this year, I might be able to comment on these questions... for now, Calgary's got some work to do...

and Vancouver... sorry Z, but I just checked with Webster... and they updated the meaning of SUCK = Canucks... ;)

*(and let's not talk about the last 2 5/6 pt wins over Cal...)

FS: 2014 BMW 320i x-drive 2.0 turbo awd. PM for details

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:52:58 am »
well done S... you've rhymed suck and canuck...

umm... just throwing this out there, last night was embarrassing for the flames...
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:04:04 am »
And my thoughts on the questions i previously posed:

1. The flames cant really lose. He's publicity whether you love or you hate him. He's cheap (compared to what he used to go for). He's proven to have played well with Iginla and seems to be more relaxed this season. Its a one year deal right now and if he doesn't perform, he gets passed along.
2. Ovechkin. Crosby has too many supporting players and is a pansy. He acts like a baby if he gets hit.
3. Detroit. For the same reason listed above. They didn't take anything away from their cup-winning team really, and they added Hossa.
4. They need to make a solid decision and just say they're still rebuilding. Give their young talent a bit more tie and i think they're gonna be a real threat next year.
5. Cause they think their the center of the Canadian hockey universe and it pisses me off.
6. Brodeur has the numbers to back him up, but he's also had a ridiculous team in front of him. I think Luongo is next in line. His positioning is so solid and he never panics and flails in the crease. Although, the nucks defense is fairly good and although he may see a lot of shots, they dont give away many really bad chances.
7. I was gonna say Mitchell as well, but since thats already been taken... Marc Savard...

Offline [j]e[f]f

• **banned**
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Stage 2 WRB 06 STi
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:10:39 am »
i saw the 3rd of the vancover game
1 fight 3 goals :P

random...
im going to the calgary and edmonton game next saturday.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 01:26:58 pm »
did I correctly hear on the radio that someone brought the Cup out on a Harley, handed it to another player, who raised it up high in the air, kissed it, then put it back down upside-down??
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 01:33:28 pm »

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 01:40:32 pm »
"It's upside down."

"Well, never mind. We're soccer boys. What do we know?"

LOLL

I am surprised the crowd kept on cheering... hurrah for canadian apathy I guess :)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 01:48:31 pm »
Here's what happenned.

It was NHL Rocks or something like that. A new thing the NHL is trying to do to get people excited about the start of the season. Def Leopard was playing. One of the Red Wings rode a chopper out with the Cup on the back of it, they undid the latches, he hoisted it up, then passed it to Kyle Quincy (lead singer) who hoisted it up and then put it down upside down. Some stage hand put it right side up. The lead signer was too coked out to care. The concert was in Detroit.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 01:54:53 pm »
How excited must that stagehand have been to get to handle the Stanley Cup?
~ Calvin ~

Offline kolumbo69

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 02:55:53 pm »
1. Yes I think it was a good move to for calgary to pick up a big first liner, it's just to bad it had to be bertuzzi
2. Ovechkin is Ten times the player crosby is because he plays with heart. Crosby is over hyped peice of itshay, no talent assay clown
3. Flames of course. Except for last year detroit always duds in the playoffs
4. The oilers really who cares they suck ...... On a serious note they have good young talent but to much stress breaks young players easy
5. Because they like to gloat over their hockey history worse then every oilers fan likes to remind us of the good ol days. Yah u were good then, but history doesnt make up for you sucking now!
6. Luongo, I hate him so much as a calgary fan,but the amount of quality he stops every night is very impressive
7. Ovechkin, I hate everytime they do stats on him they always try to push crosby. Come on everyone he single handed brought washington to the playoffs

Just my .02 as I am a very close minded Calgary fan Woot
Speeding legally 4 days a week!

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 03:28:21 pm »
Except for last year detroit always duds in the playoffs

Isn't it 4 times in the last 11 years that they've won the cup?

Offline STI_AL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2006 STI w/Rocket Rally ProTune
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »
Random hockey joke:

Q:  How are the Calgary Flames similar to a Tea Bag?

A:  They're both good for only 1 cup.

The Montreal Canadiens rule the world and everyone else can suck assay!  <----That's the bottom line!
Go Habs Go!

Offline SulfurLad

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • now, 20% more!
    • Azzurriffopubijix
  • Ride: 08 WRB STI + many bicycles
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 01:26:44 pm »
We were in Montreal two days ago en route from Paris to Calgary.  We met up with the brother in law's girlfriend on St Catherine's St for a sandwich, and while we were waiting for her found a major hockey celebration going on on ... agh, forget the street.  In front of the Hard Rock Cafe.  Made me feel welcome back in Canada with all this hockey and displays from the HHOF out on the street too.  They even had a portable ice rink set up out there with some old-timers playing off against the RDF staff.  I'll get some pictures up eventually.  :)

1. I think it's a good move.  He hasn't been healthy the last couple years, but has a lot more potential than our last hired gun (Nolan) did.  I think Bertuzzi's got a bit more left in his career and that Minne (who is screwed imo) paid way too much for Nolan.  Nolan was good to have and made stuff happen, but I'm hoping for more speed and goals out of Bertuzzi.
2. Neither.  Crosby needs to mature to become a leader, and Ovechkin loves the game too much to remember he's got a team with him.  They're both exciting to watch though, and I'm looking forward to seeing them grow more this year.  Pitts is just around the corner from some powerful cup-winning teams, I think.
3. Flames, because if they don't do it soon, it'll be "too late" for this generation.  :)
4. I think they should build a bit more, focus on the organization.  New owner is good, now they need major rink renos, or even a new building.  I thought the Dome was pretty ghetto (in a charming way though), but after seeing Cirque Du Soleil in Rexall this summer, that place is tired dude.
5. Ego, poor organization, sense of entitlement.  :)  I've lived in Toronto before, and they are the permanent "team of the future".  Go buds!  LOL
6. I'm gonna say Kiprusoff, and it's not just the Flames fan in me speaking.  The amount that the Flames let him get peppered in the playoffs for the small amount of goals he lets in is phenomenal.  Let's hope we get our D back, it's been missing.
7. I like Anson Carter as underated.  Unfortunately I think he's a bit past his prime now, and asks for too much cash, but there you have it.  The Canucks had him, and him and the Sedins (as much as I hate to admit it) made the best line Vancouver had.  Then in typical Nuck fashion, they didn't get him again.  LOL

Just my opinions, but I know I'm right.  :P
throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 05:08:49 pm »
did anyone else hear the new anthem for hockey night in canada? I am not a fan of it. Acutally quite disapointed. Out of 15000 I thought there would have been something better.

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline Waller

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 06:15:24 pm »
+1

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 07:33:14 pm »
Anybody down for another hockey pool this season?

Offline Waller

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 08:30:30 pm »
I'd be in for a pool.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 10:12:52 pm »

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 10:46:13 pm »
I am signed up for the pool!!!!! and have just about no idea what I am doing. But that may be due to the shwak of beers I have drank so far tonight. I wish I knew how to change my team name. I kinda screwed that up

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline Dyno69

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Im The Man
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 11:08:54 pm »
Random hockey joke:

Q:  How are the Calgary Flames similar to a Tea Bag?

A:  They're both good for only 1 cup.

The Montreal Canadiens rule the world and everyone else can suck assay!  <----That's the bottom line!

Its actually, how are a bra and the calgary flames different, a bra has 2 cups ;)

im signing up for that pool thing right meow!!!

k i have 2 teams can you delete the western subaru club one i tried to find the thing and made it accidently