Author Topic: Favorite Mountains and/or Lifts/Runs  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Favorite Mountains and/or Lifts/Runs
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:46:48 pm »
I haven't seen any topics discussing everyones favorite places to ride so let's see where this goes.

I want to start exploring different mountains and find out what everyone else likes and why. So, what is your favorite mountain to ride?

Do you like it for the powder? The park? etc..

Here are a few of my favorite mountains. (Haven't been to very many)

Sunshine - Great park. Mellow mountain, fun to rip around with a group of friends.

Revelstoke - Incredible! So much powder and great runs! Much steeper than sunshine, more of a challenge which I like.

Jasper - Been going since I was a little kid and have always just loved it there.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
Re: Favorite Mountains and/or Lifts/Runs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:58:51 pm »
itshay, just posted this in another thread. But yeah, my favourite slopes are:

Red Mountain
Revvy
Kicking Horse

Oh oh oh and I like fernie too. Don't know why. Maybe its because it falls in the same category as Red for the old style ski resort feeling.

Kinda like Whitefish too for that reason.

I stay away from Sunshine like the plague.

Offline WGN 2NV

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: stage 2 07 wrx wagon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:39:57 pm »
The only two I've really ridden are marmot and sunshine. Love them both but prefer sunshine. Went out to fernie for the first time last year and it rained the day we rode, so I'm going back this year in February.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:21:58 pm »
Yeah, one of the downsides to places like Fernie ( or Red, whitefish, etc) is that there may be a few rain days. But when it snows!! Oh boy!!!

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:23:59 pm »
Apex Mountain - I can be on a chair in 45 minutes? Pow turns in less than hour from my front door? Awesome steep terrain, technical glades, cliffs, good snow, and a decent park? Wait… no lift lines!? It sounds too good to be true, but it's not.

Castle Mountain - Excellent terrain and somewhat of a hidden gem. Not so much anymore I guess. 2 of my top 5 days ever have been here. Go up to the top, follow the cat track to skiers left just about as far as it will go. World class glades and few hidden cliffs.

Revelstoke - Excellent terrain and legendary snow. Awesome place. Too bad laps down the backside take upwards of hour. Hike up to the top and drop in… You can have some good adventures in bounds.

Kicking Horse - Excellent terrain and good snow. Some very, very steep stuff here. Would be third on my list if there was more than one lift to get to the goods… The gondola is fast, but on a busy weekend you spend as much time in line as on the hill.

In that order.

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline jk

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: No longer a Subaru :/
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:34 pm »
Marmot is kind of my home mountain, with 20-30 days a year.  Knowing every nook and cranny can make any hill fun.

Grand Targhee, WY is probably my overall favourite resort. Unbelievable cliff skiing, absolutely no lines, rad locals, cheap on-hill accomodation, all the snow Jackson gets and more, great hike-in areas and super diverse terrain. Another awesome part is a promotion they've done for a few years where anyone with an Alberta resort season pass gets free lift tickets to promote tourism!

Favourite run has to be following the lift line of chair 10 at Vail. I was there two years ago with blower deep snow, its steep and consistent, and there are great cliffs (some in a hittable 10-20 ft range and some deathtraps) you can spot on your way up!

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 07:37:39 am »
Kicking Horse - Best terrain, good on mountain accomidations and the Local Hero bar.  Ill second Evans concern about only one lift though

Lake louise - this ones probably the closest to me.  Its fun but not as challanging as the horse

Offline Fredrico

• Patchy Faced
  • So far behind, I think I'm in 1st
  • Ride: 2004 WRX
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 08:09:38 am »
Revelstoke for back mountain powder. 5 minute hike opens up the whole back side.

Kimberly Resort. Small mountain, usually a few degrees colder than Fernie. Absolute blast for powder runs and ripping through the glade trails.

Offline Scrambles

• Patchy Faced
  • That's doable.
  • Ride: 2004 E55 AMG
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 08:26:14 am »
Ive got to say my favorite mountain I've been to was probably red followed closely by Revvy.  I have only been to each a couple days so no favorite runs.

Mostly if I'm staying in Alberta I go to marmot.  Favorite run would be caribou knoll. I haven't been down it without awesome snow even when the rest of the mountsin sucks. Lots of various sized cliffs and drops and a few spots to build powder kickers. Sucks don't bother.

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 01:10:26 pm »
Fernie hands down. Few places in the world can match it if you know your way around. Whitewater/Red Mountain are close seconds for me though, always good skiing and short lines.

This is my first winter skiing Revy, we'll see if it lives up to its reputation  >:D

Offline jk

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: No longer a Subaru :/
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 05:22:02 pm »

Favorite run would be caribou knoll. I haven't been down it without awesome snow even when the rest of the mountsin sucks. Lots of various sized cliffs and drops and a few spots to build powder kickers.

Shhhhhh  ;)  >:D

Offline Scrambles

• Patchy Faced
  • That's doable.
  • Ride: 2004 E55 AMG
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »
Shhhhhh  ;)  >:D

Good call, edited for clarity.

Also relevant though I'm sure everyone has seen it:

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »
^^^ haha. Loved it. Never saw it before.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 08:41:54 pm »
Fernie hands down. Few places in the world can match it if you know your way around. Whitewater/Red Mountain are close seconds for me though, always good skiing and short lines.

This is my first winter skiing Revy, we'll see if it lives up to its reputation  >:D

since when are whitewaters lines short? I'd hate to see what you call a long line. I'm going to mt cain again this year.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 10:27:20 pm »
since when are whitewaters lines short? I'd hate to see what you call a long line. I'm going to mt cain again this year.
shorter than louise, fernie, whistler, big white, etc.. the 20+ times i've been there.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 10:28:52 pm »
shorter than louise, fernie, whistler, big white, etc.. the 20+ times i've been there.

Apex is better. Go there. Actually don't. More pow turns for me.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 11:03:23 pm »
Apex is better. Go there. Actually don't. More pow turns for me.
never been, i've heard good things though! maybe i'll come poach your line sometime this winter  >:D

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 11:10:32 am »

bleh too many people for me man. I'll stick to my fav. little hill and get fresh tracks for days in the trees.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 05:10:23 pm »
bleh too many people for me man. I'll stick to my fav. little hill and get fresh tracks for days in the trees.

Fair enough! I guess i've just gotten used to all the people and lines skiing fernie for the last 12 years  :-\