Author Topic: esp1818's STi: Track Day Update - Faster more Fast  (Read 13815 times)

Offline esp1818

• Stubbly Faced
    • My Flickr Page
  • Ride: '09 SWP STi
Re: esp1818's STi: Track Day Update - NO FADE!
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2017, 06:47:50 am »
The car puts down about 400whp and weighs around 3050 lbs without driver. I've been using ATE TYP200 brake fluid. I'll have to replace some valve stems and add some cooling to get the car ready. I also run in the yellow group in the 1:33~1:35 range. I think the car has a 1:30 in it, but I'm not quite there yet.

I'm thinking you want at minimum the CP5060/355 kit, considering you have 100whp on me and only 300lbs lighter than me. I would give Essex a call or an email and explain what you have and what you want and they will be able to steer you in the right direction. They have great customer service.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2017, 03:23:56 pm »
What's stopping you from getting out there? Just fresh brake fluid, fresh oil, and decent brake pads, that's all you need.

I need an event to happen ;) I'll be signing up for the September 17th lapping event at Castrol

Offline the_saint

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 STi
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2017, 08:34:01 pm »
I need an event to happen ;) I'll be signing up for the September 17th lapping event at Castrol

Nice :)

Hoping to get out to Castrol this season :)

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2017, 10:36:55 pm »
Let's all aim for Sep 17 then! Sorry OP we turned your build thread into "let's talk about Castrol road course" thread, and I feel I am partially responsible for it haha.

I'll be patrolling the FS section of corvette forum for a used set of AP kit, if nothing comes up FS I'll just bite the bullet and call Jeff@Essex before next track season.

Offline esp1818

• Stubbly Faced
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »
Let's all aim for Sep 17 then! Sorry OP we turned your build thread into "let's talk about Castrol road course" thread, and I feel I am partially responsible for it haha.

I'll be patrolling the FS section of corvette forum for a used set of AP kit, if nothing comes up FS I'll just bite the bullet and call Jeff@Essex before next track season.

I see nothing wrong with talking about Castrol in this thread, anything racing goes haha.

The track day on August 7th went without an issue again. Although it did rain for most of the day so heat wasn't much of an issue.

It did rain quite heavily near noon when my session was on track. There was a lot of standing water on the long straight which caused someone to hydroplane, lose traction, clip another car, and hit the wall. Clean up took quite awhile and I lost a fair bit of seat time because of it.

I didn't record times or videos this time. I got an instructor this time out to smooth out my driving and hopefully be faster. His name was Harry and he is an awesome instructor! He's very animated in the passenger seat so he's conveying what he wants through voice and body movements that you can see in your periphery. He is also very encouraging. Even though it was raining, lost out on seat time, and didn't get any quick laps in I had a really good time!

@SlowLGT I just finished signing up for the September 4th Track Junkies event, will you be out there?

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2017, 01:43:46 pm »

Offline esp1818

• Stubbly Faced
    • My Flickr Page
Re: esp1818's STi: Track Day Update - Faster more Fast
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2017, 10:43:54 pm »
How was the Sep 4th event? I followed your path and decided to bite the bullet... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-classifieds/4033435-ap-big-brake-kit-w-spare-rotors-for-c6.html

Nice!

Sept 4th event went great and I had a really good time. The weather was nice. For the day I had set a goal to beat my personal best of 1:34.62 and be in the low 1:34.xx or high 1:33.xx. Well, I smashed my personal best by 1.85 seconds making my new personal best 1:32.77! I was so happy with that I was riding that high for two days haha. The instruction really paid off. As I was out there driving I could still hear Harry telling what to do. I didn't think that the next event after instruction I would knock so much time off.

I also just discovered a thing called "virtual best" in Harry's Laptimer which combines all your best sector times to make a virtual best time. My virtual best time is 1:31.25 which is 1.52 seconds faster than my personal best. So with that, my goal for next time is 1:31.25.

Video of my new PB

Some pictures
by Jeff Wallace

by Josh McKenzie

by Josh McKenzie

by Josh McKenzie

by Josh McKenzie

by Josh McKenzie

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2017, 11:17:24 pm »
Wow, 1.85s is a big improvement. What did you differently compared to previous events?

Offline esp1818

• Stubbly Faced
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2017, 07:08:48 am »
Wow, 1.85s is a big improvement. What did you differently compared to previous events?

Smoother braking, better line in the corners (turn 1-2, 5-6), and no braking between turn 5-6.

Looking at the data I made up a lot of time in turn 1, 3, 6, and 11. The funny thing is I gained 0.5 a second in turn 11 (when comparing it to the 1:34.62 lap) and I wasn't even consciously working on that corner. I think it was because I took a better line through 10 to set me up better for 11.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2017, 12:02:10 pm »
amazing work!

I can't wait to come back to Edmonton and have Castrol so close. I should be able to get enough track time to help get me close to what you are doing.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2017, 12:15:44 pm »
amazing work!

I can't wait to come back to Edmonton and have Castrol so close. I should be able to get enough track time to help get me close to what you are doing.

You should just ditch the Subaru and buy a Corvette. 

...And sell me that steering rack. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2017, 12:17:32 pm »
You should just ditch the Subaru and buy a Corvette. 

...And sell me that steering rack.

+1 to buy a Corvette. Don't really care about jellynuts getting your steering rack or not. >:D

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2017, 03:22:52 pm »
HAHAH you guys are Savage, not a fan of the older corvette, honestly until this latest version I hated them all for their looks.