Author Topic: Anyone know how to install double din dvd?  (Read 3501 times)

Offline WRXWAGON

• Inarguably bearded
  • Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: WRX WAGON
Anyone know how to install double din dvd?
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:58:53 pm »
Does anyone on here do audio installing for cash? Looking to install a double din in my 2002 wrx. Specifically a Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS.
Would like someone with experience. Thanks!

Offline Tricky [RCAF]

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: WRX swap Impreza coupe For Sale, 06 WRX wagon
Re: Anyone know how to install double din dvd?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:31:17 pm »
I had never done one before and was able to do mine without any difficulty. you should try it yourself, if you fail you can always find someone to help you afterwards but I would wager that you could manage it.

Jesse.Korpan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:36:00 am »
to help you out as well you will want to send blessthekellen a PM and ask if he can do up a wiring harness for you everything will be plug and play and its all fairly easy.

Offline rveedub

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: VF52 Fail-Hatch
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:35:44 am »
I just had that installed it's a great deck.

If you want to use app radio and be able to use the touchscreen for your phone, though you need to install an HDMI female and then an iphone/android to HDMI component.

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:11:08 am »
Not sure how different the interior of a 02 is compared to a 07, but a double din bolts right up to the factory mounting points.  No adapters required.  Get a wire harness, and go have at it.
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 02:00:34 pm »
Not sure how different the interior of a 02 is compared to a 07, but a double din bolts right up to the factory mounting points.  No adapters required.  Get a wire harness, and go have at it.
93-07 imprezas are all the same once the dash cover is off and probably the simplest car to wire a Head Unit into honestly. All you need is a $7 harness adaptor for an impreza and some butt-connectors/soldering iron and you're good to go. It shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes start to finish.

Offline Tricky [RCAF]

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: WRX swap Impreza coupe For Sale, 06 WRX wagon
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 02:25:02 pm »
I bought my harness from Visions FYI, but I am sure many places stock it.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 02:55:58 pm »
A brand new stereo will come with the headunit side of the harness, and you can buy the manufacturer one from most stores (Future Shop, Best buy, Visions), and then just match the colours, and then you have a plug and play harness. As long as the OEM wiring was never spliced into by some shoddy install that is.

I usually grab the 2 harnesses, my crimper (~$10-$15 from can tire), some crimps (~$5), sit down for 5 minutes and make it myself. The only thing you'd really need to attach directly to the harness would be a remote wire for the amp.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:38:57 pm »
It's not hard at all.  My wire harness was cut up by previous owner.  I went online found the wiring codes tied them together with the head unit and then used heat shrink.  I'd try it once and if your still not getting it after an hour, come back.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:18:36 pm »
It's pretty easy as long as you know how to solder. I don't recommend using butt connectors. But do recommend using heat shrink and electrical tape.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline ChanceSkeleton

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SRP Sedan
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »
A brand new stereo will come with the headunit side of the harness, and you can buy the manufacturer one from most stores (Future Shop, Best buy, Visions), and then just match the colours, and then you have a plug and play harness. As long as the OEM wiring was never spliced into by some shoddy install that is.

I usually grab the 2 harnesses, my crimper (~$10-$15 from can tire), some crimps (~$5), sit down for 5 minutes and make it myself. The only thing you'd really need to attach directly to the harness would be a remote wire for the amp.

What do you do if the factory harness was spliced and the original adapter isn't there anymore? I pulled my stereo this weekend to install a new head unit and I guess the previous owner hacked it up.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 01:54:43 pm »
What do you do if the factory harness was spliced and the original adapter isn't there anymore? I pulled my stereo this weekend to install a new head unit and I guess the previous owner hacked it up.

It's pretty ittshay to deal with, but it can be done. I haven't done it myself in a long time, but I think most of the colours should still match (IE: yellow for battery, red for power, black for ground, orange for lighting, blue for power antenna/remote), If you're trying to find which speaker is which, I found that putting the wires across a AA battery will cause the speaker to make a sounds as you power/unpower it. A volt meter would probably do wonders for tracing lines.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »

It's pretty ittshay to deal with, but it can be done. I haven't done it myself in a long time, but I think most of the colours should still match (IE: yellow for battery, red for power, black for ground, orange for lighting, blue for power antenna/remote), If you're trying to find which speaker is which, I found that putting the wires across a AA battery will cause the speaker to make a sounds as you power/unpower it. A volt meter would probably do wonders for tracing lines.

I suppose you could pick up an OEM harness and resplice it back together, then get an adapter.  I'd assume the wire colours would match up.
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline ChanceSkeleton

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 02:44:55 pm »
I suppose you could pick up an OEM harness and resplice it back together, then get an adapter.  I'd assume the wire colours would match up.

Yah, this is what I'm probably going to do. The new head unit I'm putting in was pulled from my wrecked protege, so it will also get replaced soon since it's already a 5 year old HU. I'd rather fix it back to the stock harness so I don't have to deal with this mess again down the road.

Now with that being said, I suppose I have to order the OEM harness from somewhere. Thoughts? I don't even know what to search for.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 03:16:11 pm »
I'm not sure how easy it would be to put a new one on.... I mean, you could try and find one from a wrecked car, cut off the plug, and then attach the plug to your car.

Offline blessthekellen

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • professional sparky
  • Ride: 98 SF5
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 06:35:57 pm »
Ive repaired them, they arent a big deal. But honestly if you have an aftermarket in there, the coloring is already matched so why not just hardwire right to the wires? Ive done this more often than not when its already cut.

Or just buy this.

http://metraonline.com/part/71-8901

Offline ChanceSkeleton

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 01:35:21 pm »
Managed to spare some time to do the install, everything went alright. HU powers on, but the previous owner wired up the speakers wrong (left is right and vice versa), didn't realize until I was messing with the balance and fade. Gonna end up pulling it again and fixing everything hah!