Author Topic: Westlake Studded Tires  (Read 1809 times)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Westlake Studded Tires
« on: February 26, 2017, 08:15:05 pm »
I bought some Westlakes last year for the soul purpose of racing them in the winter.  I bought them because they were the cheapest option at the start of the season.  If you can fit 14's or 15's, end of season Walmart deals are far better. 

So far, they've seen 8 events but the last one had some pretty sharp ice formations which I think damaged the tread.  I should also note that that day had three drivers.  Just to recap on some notes:

• 205/something/17
  • two years old
  • 6 events at 25 PSI
  • 2 events at 15 PSI

Here's some unhelpful pictures of when they were new:

3.5mm
by Wong's Bokehgraphy, on Flickr

Shred me

Studded

And here's some pics of the wear:

Note the colour is still on the tread (so fresh)

And a video to give some perspective:

I'd still recommend them for ice racing tires for those of us cursed with Brembos.  Sometimes, it actually looks like I know what I'm doing on the lake and it's all thanks to these tires. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
Re: Westlake Studded Tires
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:47:08 pm »
I also used these tires (in a 15” size”) with the same studs for ice dice last year. Great tires for the lake for racing because they are cheap and have stiff tread blocks that resist stud fold, but wouldn’t likely choose them for street tires.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:18:08 am »
I have more or less the same setup on my Ford Explorer, running the SW606 model. They have seen deep snow, slush, ice, etc. and have performed far above expectations. They have a consistent feel and are predictable under braking, sliding, and accelerating. Can’t ask for much more in a winter tire. I’ve previously used studded General Altima’s Arctic’s, Blizzak’s, and a few others. I’d recommend them over more expensive options any day of the week.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 11:23:32 am »
Nice review, Jonny. I don't have much input or feedback to add, but oh man those studs look so big!! I didn't realize they could stick out that far? I thought the ones on my Nordfrost 200's were big but I realize in comparison mine do not seem to protrude out past the tire much. Maybe it's a different style though and those are more for really driving on the ice and such.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 09:27:58 pm »
Nice review, Jonny. I don't have much input or feedback to add, but oh man those studs look so big!! I didn't realize they could stick out that far? I thought the ones on my Nordfrost 200's were big but I realize in comparison mine do not seem to protrude out past the tire much. Maybe it's a different style though and those are more for really driving on the ice and such.

They are oversized studs, for ice racing on ghost lake. They are not practical (or safe) for use on the street

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:28:46 pm »
They are oversized studs, for ice racing on ghost lake. They are not practical (or safe) for use on the street

OooHHhhh!! Neat!