Author Topic: 2013 STi base HU issues  (Read 2017 times)

Offline rroberto1

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2015 FXT
2013 STi base HU issues
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:41:50 pm »
Hi All,

Been doing some digging but can't find what i'm looking for regarding my issue.  I have the base STi unit (no Nav)

So since day one of purchase, i've never been able to do the following:

- Have bluetooth activated to receive calls but ALSO have my iPhone plugged in via USB and listen to music through the HU.

So if I want to listen to music from my phone it has to be through BT and not directly connected (which I prefer).  OR I turn BT off on my phone and plug it into via USB and it will work for music.  Strange.

Has anyone run into this or know of a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: 2013 STi base HU issues
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:50:34 pm »
Not sure - have a look here  http://avic411.com/

Offline rroberto1

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:35:27 pm »
Thanks man. Will have a look.  Its such a mystery for something so simple! 

I may just end up replacing the HU with something aftermarket.

Offline WGN 2NV

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: stage 2 07 wrx wagon
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:23:42 pm »
It's my understanding that BT is a wireless connection, so plugging in your phone would disable it. As far as I know, there is no way around it.

Offline blessthekellen

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • professional sparky
  • Ride: 98 SF5
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:07:39 pm »
Plugging in a unit that is sync via bluetooth shouldnt affect its ability to stream wirelessly.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:24:14 am »
Plugging in a unit that is sync via bluetooth shouldnt affect its ability to stream wirelessly.

This. You should be able to have it plugged in for charging, but still stream via bluetooth.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline rroberto1

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 10:19:48 am »
Thats correct.  it does charge while playing wirelessly via bluetooth.  Thats not an issue. 

For example, we have a Honda CRV that allows me to plug in my phone to play and control music through the headunit BUT allows me to take/make phone calls via bluetooth AND play music via bluetooth if I want to.  All our previous vehicles with this ability have functioned without issue. 

The STi can't do it for some weird reason.  When I do plug it in with bluetooth active and select "AUX" to play music wired to my phone it will play for 2 seconds, then stop.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:25:46 am »
Strange. But I don't understand why you would want to play over AUX instead of Bluetooth when the A2DP streaming is an available option. That sounds more like a phone setting instead of the headunit. Some phones have the option to output to bluetooth or headphone jack. I know my headunit (aftermarket) is bluetooth, but can't support music streaming, only phone conversations via BT.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline rroberto1

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:49:31 am »
Strange. But I don't understand why you would want to play over AUX instead of Bluetooth when the A2DP streaming is an available option. That sounds more like a phone setting instead of the headunit. Some phones have the option to output to bluetooth or headphone jack. I know my headunit (aftermarket) is bluetooth, but can't support music streaming, only phone conversations via BT.

Sorry let me clarify on that!  I didn't mean to play music through "AUX as in headphone jack".  I meant to say I hit the "aux button to scroll through the menu to get to my iPhone as a music source via the apple cord/usb connection.

That being said I have wondered the same thing if its actually my phone that is the issue (maybe the stereo doesn't work in harmony with the latest IOS update etc). 

The whole idea to be able to plug in and listen/charge my phone with a DIRECT connection yet have the ability to take calls via bluetooth is very much standard issue with most new cars today. 

To recap, if i turn bluetooth OFF on my iPhone, the headunit will play/control music directly via USB connection.  Once bluetooth is turned back on with my iPhone, that is no longer possible.