Author Topic: Rathburn's 2015 WRX - Roxanne  (Read 27898 times)

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
Rathburn's 2015 WRX - Roxanne
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:15:38 am »
Well, I've finally joined the ranks and actually have a Subaru now. I'm no longer that weird non-Subaru owning guy on the Subaru forums. Decided to get red, because why the hell not. Subaru makes a good red. It was less of a wait than the dark grey anyways.

Yes, you read that correctly: Roxanne. She don't have to put on the red lights.

*Don't worry, all you hardcore detailing maniacs out there, I know the Subaru red is made from the blood of small Japanese school children diluted with tears of wild Tanuki, so I didn't use the brush or anything.

First Impressions: this car is awesome. It's stiff, it's tight, it's fast. It makes whoosh noises!! The boost guage and configurable screen is pretty cool. It's going to be a DD, so no plans for any crazy mods or anything, but I'll definitely hit up some AutoX. I did order it with the short throw shifter and STI exhaust from the dealer, neither of which are installed yet, as they are waiting for the parts to arrive.

First Thing I've picked up for it after the aforementioned shifter and exhaust is a new set of boots. 06/07 BBS wheels from an STI.

I plan on getting them powder coated gold. Then I'll switch the Dunlop's over and use the stock wheels for winter.

It's going in to get 3M'd tomorrow, and I plan on picking up a set of Rally Armor's when they're available. Next Summer I might move to an 18 inch wheel, I was originally thinking RPF1's, but the RP03 is catching my eye these days as well.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Rathburn's 2015 WRX - Roxanne
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:57:16 am »
RPF1 is best RP
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:58:40 am »
Welcome to the red WRX club! :)

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:07:04 pm »
They switched to 5x114.3? I missed that memo.

Looks good in red!

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:11:50 pm »
...06/07 BBS wheels from an STI.  I plan on getting them powder coated gold.

BBS does not recommend powdercoating their wheels.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »
Thanks for the compliments, all.

RPF1 is best RP

I was thinking that, I remember when they were legit McLaren wheels in F1, but it seems like everyone has em these days. Plus, RP03: dat concave

Why you make decisions so hard?

They switched to 5x114.3? I missed that memo.

They did, the WRX and WRX/STI now share hubs.

BBS does not recommend powdercoating their wheels.

I've heard rumblings of such things. WRX_RA seems to think its ok, though I would probably use them for AutoX, and I'm guessing that's probably where the potentially compromised strength would matter most. I shall investigate more. Potentially a spray-bombing of some acceptable gold colour is in order then.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:14:59 pm »
2L master race!

I like that red a lot.  After seeing a red one in the showroom, I had seriously considered getting that colour instead of white.

I've heard rumblings of such things. WRX_RA seems to think its ok, though I would probably use them for AutoX, and I'm guessing that's probably where the potentially compromised strength would matter most. I shall investigate more. Potentially a spray-bombing of some acceptable gold colour is in order then.

I believe Enkei also says powder coating will void any warranty on their wheels.  I've been having a heck of a time finding gold coloured wheels in the style and size that I want, so I had considered getting some powder coated.  I've heard that it's not so much that it'll immediately cause your wheels to break, but prematurely ages the wheels, making it more brittle.  However, they are your wheels, do what you want with them, just repeating what I've heard and read. 
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:23:10 pm »
2L master race!

I like that red a lot.  After seeing a red one in the showroom, I had seriously considered getting that colour instead of white.

I believe Enkei also says powder coating will void any warranty on their wheels.  I've been having a heck of a time finding gold coloured wheels in the style and size that I want, so I had considered getting some powder coated.  I've heard that it's not so much that it'll immediately cause your wheels to break, but prematurely ages the wheels, making it more brittle.  However, they are your wheels, do what you want with them, just repeating what I've heard and read.

Hellz yeah!

I have a feeling the red will be a little more rare. I think it looks awesome, really glad I went for it.

Yeah, uckfay, I dunno. I've heard so much either way. Maybe I'll just plasti-dip em and see how that goes. Then I could get rolling on them sooner! They actually look pretty spiff in silver once I got them all cleaned up. I was as if they'd never been cleaned. I'm glad they have the BBS centres instead of the STI ones.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 02:34:11 pm »
There are low-temp powdercoating options out there. I know this, because bike wheels are even more temperamental to that heat, so if you want to do any kind of powdercoating to them, you have to the the longer, slower method.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 02:52:39 pm »
There are low-temp powdercoating options out there. I know this, because bike wheels are even more temperamental to that heat, so if you want to do any kind of powdercoating to them, you have to the the longer, slower method.

First world problems :(
Maybe I'll just plasti 'em first and see how I like it before committing. Then I can change it up on the fly. The car looks good with black rims too, the stock ones are just so ugly though.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 08:05:08 am »
Work has commenced on turning silver into gold.

I started with a plasti-dip gunmetal undercoat, half a can per wheel, and then added half a can per wheel of plasti-dip gold metalizer.

Happy with the results so far, we'll see how they look when I bring them out into the sunlight though.

Offline chico_kj_23

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1993 WRX, 2011 G37X, 2018 4Runner
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 10:03:01 am »
Looking good so far! I have to agree with your opinion on the stock wheels though. They are some of the ugliest stockers that I can remember on a WRX. Its like they couldn't make their mind up on whether to do a 5 spoke or split 5 spoke design, so they just said uckfay it and did both.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 11:27:42 am »
I've decided to order up some Rokblokz mudflaps since Rally Armor seems to be taking their sweet-assay time with a 2015 application. http://www.rokblokz.com/wrx-sti-sedan-2015.html
They look good, and the logo is a little more flash than the RA logo, and hell, who doesn't need more flash on a bright red car?

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 11:49:21 am »
I've decided to order up some Rokblokz mudflaps since Rally Armor seems to be taking their sweet-assay time with a 2015 application. http://www.rokblokz.com/wrx-sti-sedan-2015.html

Yup, I'm about to do the same.  How much did they charge you for shipping?

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 01:05:49 pm »
Shipping was $22 USD, I think total it was about $125 CAD after conversions rates. Not too bad compared to the Rally Armor GR/GV application which costs $160-170 before shipping. Plus I like the matte look of the Rokblokz better. I see Rally Armor has updated their pictures for the VA application though, so they might be close.

Do you have anything else currently planned for your car, Rich?

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 01:31:28 pm »
Shipping was $22 USD, I think total it was about $125 CAD after conversions rates. Not too bad compared to the Rally Armor GR/GV application which costs $160-170 before shipping. Plus I like the matte look of the Rokblokz better. I see Rally Armor has updated their pictures for the VA application though, so they might be close.

Do you have anything else currently planned for your car, Rich?

Heh, cheaper and it didn't take them two months to develop and produce them.  I'm sold.

Besides looking for new wheels, I'm just waiting for Cobb to crack the ECU and I'll be heading back to Airboy for a retune. 

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 01:49:14 pm »
Heh, cheaper and it didn't take them two months to develop and produce them.  I'm sold.

Besides looking for new wheels, I'm just waiting for Cobb to crack the ECU and I'll be heading back to Airboy for a retune.

Nice, any thoughts on wheels yet? Colour, style?

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 02:18:12 pm »
Nice, any thoughts on wheels yet? Colour, style?

Gold, 17", something like my old Enkei NT03+Ms would be ideal, but I can't seem to find them in the right bolt pattern in gold anymore.  I have my eyes on a set of gold OZ ultraleggera.  I also wouldn't say no to a set of 17" gold BBSes.  I'll probably pull the rubbers off of the OEMs, throw them onto the new wheels, and put some winters onto the OEMs.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 02:54:49 pm »
Gold, 17", something like my old Enkei NT03+Ms would be ideal, but I can't seem to find them in the right bolt pattern in gold anymore.  I have my eyes on a set of gold OZ ultraleggera.  I also wouldn't say no to a set of 17" gold BBSes.  I'll probably pull the rubbers off of the OEMs, throw them onto the new wheels, and put some winters onto the OEMs.

Yeah, sounds like you're thinking along the same lines as me for now.

Offline Arcturus

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2010 Forester XT
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 07:40:28 pm »
They look good, and the logo is a little more flash than the RA logo, and hell, who doesn't need more flash on a bright red car?

The flash is also completely optional as the Rokblokz decals ship separately (within the package).
2010 Subaru Forester XT (Sold)
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon (Sold)

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 09:06:15 pm »
The flash is also completely optional as the Rokblokz decals ship separately (within the package).

Yeah, I noticed that. It should be pretty cool, I went for red logos on black flaps. They're probably gonna be a itchbay to get straight though.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 08:16:33 pm »
Finally starting to all come together, got my tires moved onto the '07 BBS wheels, thanks to Yella's crew down at Kal Tire.

And also got my Rokblokz bolted up on Friday night. The kit arrived in about a week, and was super easy to install. The only downside, I was short a washer and two rear nylon fender clips. However a quick trip to Auto Value, or whatever the uckfay it's called, fixed it easily enough. Gotta say, I'm really happy with how they look, and I much prefer the non flappy matte look to the Rally Armor look.

All together now:

Love the gold on red, looks amazing, and to further that point, I've already started planning for next summers look, which should fill those fenders a little better...

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 09:49:12 pm »
If you want to sell those BBSesssses, I know a guy...
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 09:55:21 pm »
If you want to sell those BBSesssses, I know a guy...

Haha, the 17's? I just got 'em mounted! I don't have tires for the 18's yet, wasn't planning on it this summer...

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 10:02:06 pm »
Haha, the 17's? I just got 'em mounted! I don't have tires for the 18's yet, wasn't planning on it this summer...

He wants to downsize from 18s so probably has tires available.

contact info here:

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=56

<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole