Author Topic: Pioneer Avic-6000NEX ****CARPLAY****  (Read 4456 times)

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: HawkEyE
Pioneer Avic-6000NEX ****CARPLAY****
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:08:09 am »
So I got this unit because I hate the stock HU and looking for some ideas but please no bashing, I want some decent bass and don't wanna go over board. May be a small amp which could easily sit under the seat somewhere and a slim sub. Things which I have already ordered
Pioneer Avic-6000NEX (Received)
Steering wheel control module, I would like to retain almost all of steering wheel controls if not all of them.
Wire Harness
dash kit
Speakers?
Amp?
Sub?

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
Re: Pioneer Avic-6000NEX
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:12:24 pm »
I've heard pretty good things about the 6000, so I think you're on the right track with that.

Personally I'm in a similar situation. I pretty much hate everything about the stock HU and I do want an improvement in sound.  My plan is to go one step at a time though, because I don't want to start running wires and custom fitting things if there's no need.  I'm going to start with the head unit and see how much that improves the sound quality.  If it's still pretty underwhelming, I'll find some appropriate speakers.  If you find good speakers and they have enough power, you may find you don't even need a sub depending on your preferences. 

If you want to really find the best solution, you would likely be best asking a larger audience on larger Subie forums or even on car audio forums.

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 04:47:32 pm »
I've heard pretty good things about the 6000, so I think you're on the right track with that.

Personally I'm in a similar situation. I pretty much hate everything about the stock HU and I do want an improvement in sound.  My plan is to go one step at a time though, because I don't want to start running wires and custom fitting things if there's no need.  I'm going to start with the head unit and see how much that improves the sound quality.  If it's still pretty underwhelming, I'll find some appropriate speakers.  If you find good speakers and they have enough power, you may find you don't even need a sub depending on your preferences. 

If you want to really find the best solution, you would likely be best asking a larger audience on larger Subie forums or even on car audio forums.
Good advice, may be I should get the upgraded speaker kit from Subaru which comes with tweeter as well or just install the HU and see if that makes any difference, highly doubt though.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:07:03 pm »
Good advice, may be I should get the upgraded speaker kit from Subaru which comes with tweeter as well or just install the HU and see if that makes any difference, highly doubt though.

The headunit will make a difference. I have a pioneer avh 4400. Absolutely love it. If you're gonna upgrade, don't waste your money on stock stuff. I replaced all the speakers in my car and recently added a sub and amp. It's not the best most booming sound system but it's more than enough for me. Whole setup cost around 2500. If you're just looking for a decent setup, look to jl audio for the speakers and amp. Visions has really good deals on them sometimes.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 03:21:43 pm »
The headunit will make a difference. I have a pioneer avh 4400. Absolutely love it. If you're gonna upgrade, don't waste your money on stock stuff. I replaced all the speakers in my car and recently added a sub and amp. It's not the best most booming sound system but it's more than enough for me. Whole setup cost around 2500. If you're just looking for a decent setup, look to jl audio for the speakers and amp. Visions has really good deals on them sometimes.
Thanks, The speakers you got required any modifications?

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »
I think I got everything I need to power the HU and make the steering wheel controls work. I would like to replace the speakers but don't know which ones I should pick, I know they are 6.5 direct swaps with a harness adapter. Anyone wanna give me a hand to install this may be!! Cheers

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 11:49:55 pm »
Thanks, The speakers you got required any modifications?

Sorry about the late reply.

Only modification needed was removal of the oem connector. I went a bit excessive and put in crimp connectors and soldered everything, then used heat shrink on all the connectors, followed by wrapping up all the wires with electrical tape.

Oh and I almost forgot, spacers. Front speakers need spacers. The oem speakers are shallow. Windows will hit aftermarket ones. If you're handy, you can make it out of wood. If not, you can buy them. I don't remember where I bought mine from. I'll try to search for you. I'm not 100% sure the '15 has the same problem though.

Edit: found it.
http://www.iaperformance.com/index.php?cPath=44_60_61_62&osCsid=vsuoesglajq5t2453opc51ukq4
That's where I got mine from. Hopefully yours uses the same stuff.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 08:12:28 am »

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
Re: Pioneer Avic-6000NEX ****CARPLAY****
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 12:36:04 pm »
My thoughts on Carplay and the Stereo itself:

I love it when it actually works, I think I have a faulty stereo. I get all sort of errors and since I bought it from ebay Pioneer would not honour the warranty.

Carplay is amazing imo, I never had to look at my iphone while driving. I noticed I kept my eyes on the road a lot more since I had the stereo.

It announces text and send text, bring up the navigation and play songs for you by just talking to Siri.

Sound quality is pretty crisp.

I'm thinking about buying another NEX series and this time I will get extended warranty (lesson learned)

Do you guys know anyone who fixes or troubleshoot these kinda systems?

Never buy Pioneer on Ebay or Amazon, you will not get any warranty.

Please let me know if you have any questions!!

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »
Have you looked into firmware updates or something like that?

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 12:52:44 pm »
Have you looked into firmware updates or something like that?
I updated it to the latest firmware, I get a Navigation error and I believe carplay is dependent on the navigation Antenna.

I noticed when the navigation works properly carplay worked too. May be I have a faulty antenna, I didn't have time to take it apart.

Siri has gone quiet, it shows I get a text but doesn't announce the message, When I ask Siri a question it does'nt respond.

I will yank it out and put a new one in but I really wanna stay with the NEX series, it made my life a whole lot easier.

Offline TQuon

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 09:34:43 pm »
Did you get it at a really good price or something? Those models are being phased out for the new models - 4100, 5100, 6100, 7100, 8100

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 07:17:28 am »
Did you get it at a really good price or something? Those models are being phased out for the new models - 4100, 5100, 6100, 7100, 8100
I bought it las june, I got it pretty cheap considering how pricey it was when it just came out. This model is still very pricey in the stores!!
Yes I'm aware of the new lineup, prolly will go for the 8100 this time but before that I will try to have this one fixed. It seems like a software issue rather than a hardware or just a faulty Nav Antena.

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 09:02:47 am »
I finally yanked out the Pioneer and took it to the shop, Its been over a week and they haven't said anything yet.
Did anyone every have radio fixed?

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:16 am »
I thought I'd give an update on what happened to my Pioneer. It broke down back in April 2015!

I brought it to the Pioneer authorize dealer, they said it required a SD card reader chip. They kept telling me part is on back order so I finally decided to take things in my own hand.

I called Pioneer USA several times and after two months of relentless calls, itchbaying and complaining Pioneer just sent a new Unit :)

Now can someone help me with the install? wiring is still in the dash. It will probably going to take 20 mins. Thank you for listening