Author Topic: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Long Overdue (from laziness) Update  (Read 50917 times)

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Long Overdue (from laziness) Update
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:47:50 pm »
For quite a while I've been deciding on what I wanted to get for my next vehicle; I needed something that could suit all my needs. I wanted something sporty and fun to drive as I missed my Supra which is currently stuck in Nova Scotia, I needed something with room to haul stuff inside for moving and driving up north for work which is the purpose my 4Runner served, I needed something reliable and not white knuckle driving on snow/ice unlike my 4Runner in the winter (2wd with AT's, though was dead reliable) but like my old 2001 Forester S. I eventually decided the only thing that really fit my needs and budget was an 03-05 Forester XT.

I was very picky and searched for a few months, some overpriced, some too far away, some rusty, and eventually had a guy from Vancouver contact me about his white 04 XT which was registered in Alberta so no OPI. I ended picking it up for 9750 down from his original 11k because I had to drive to Vancouver to get it and there was some minor rust where the paint had cracked from where he rolled the rear wheel arches and didnt bother touching it up. It's also a 5mt with leather and sunroof, and the guy seemed pretty OCD which is nice (or at least I thought).

Among Fields of Gold
by Jonny W, on Flickr

Black and White
by Jonny W, on Flickr

Mods Done by the PO
Mods Done by Me

Engine Mods:
STI TMIC & BPV
Mishimoto Radiator
Mishimoto Coolant Hoses
Mishimoto Intercooler Hoses
S2 Air Oil Seperator
Moroso Oil Pickup
06 STI Oil Pan
Cobb Turbo Heatsheild
Subtle Alternator Shroud
Subtle Chimney Duct
Grimmspeed Crossover Pipe
Grimmspeed Ceramic Coated Uppipe
Megan Racing 3" DP
STI Catback
AMSOIL EA Air Filter
Great North Performance Lightweight Crank Pulley
Protuned with an included Tractrix 2.0 by Racing Greed 199hp @5700rpm 208ftlbs @3400rpm (conservative tune, was dyno'd at 228hp and 239ftlbs at higher boost)

Drivetrain Mods:
Gold Work XC8 17x8 +50, with 225/50R17 Michelin PS AS3
215/60R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8
STI Brake MC and Booster
Stainless Braided Brake Lines
Slotted Rotors
Stoptech Street Performance Pads
Transmission Rebuilt at 209k
Kartboy Shifter Bushings
Kartboy FXT Short Shifter
TIC Narrow Pivot Bushing
Group N Pitch Stop Mount
Group N Transmission Mount
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
Grimmspeed MC Brace
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings

Suspension:
Forester STI Inverted Struts
Forester STI Pink Springs
3/8" Paranoid Fabrications Saggy Butt Spacers
20mm STI Rear Sway Bar and STI mounts
Kartboy Comfort Outrigger Bushings

Exterior:
Paint matched STI Hood scoop
Hella Super Tones
Modified mesh front grill
Yellow Tinted Fogs
Flapatax Mud Flaps
Hood Strut Mod
1/4" RA Motorsports Aluminum Skidplate

Interior/Electronics:
Boost Gauge
2006 Aluminum Accent Cluster Surround
Compustar Pro 901 2 way Remote Start and Security
Dash Mounted Pioneer AVH-P3200BT Headunit
Weathertech Digital Liners
KAP Industries Fire Extinguisher Mount and 2.5lb Extinguisher
Subaru Battery Warmer

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Cheezy Nickname TBD
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:48:09 am »
Fuelly Info:

Current Maintenance Info:

Oil: 211.9K 5w40 Motul 8100 w/Subaru Blue Filter
       217.8K 0W40 Rotella T6 w/7712 Napa Gold (Wix) Filter
       222.7K 0W40 Rotella T6 w/7712 Napa Gold (Wix) Filter
       227.3K 0W40 Mobil 1 Syn - Euro Forumula w/N3R1-14-302 Tokyo Roki "RX8 Filter"
       232.0K 0W40 Rotella T6 w/N3R1-14-302 Tokyo Roki "RX8 Filter"
       239.5K 0W40 Rotella T6 w/N3R1-14-302 Tokyo Roki "RX8 Filter"
       245.2K 5W40 Rotella T6 w/N3R1-14-302 Tokyo Roki "RX8 Filter"
       253.0k 5W40 Rotella T6 w/N3R1-14-302 Tokyo Roki "RX8 Filter"
       260.1K 0W40 Rotella T6 w/N3R1-14-302 Tokyo Roki "RX8 Filter"

Transmission Fluid: 209K 75w90 Motylgear
                                260K 75w90 Motul Gear 300

Rear Diff Fluid: 209K 75w90 Motul Gear 300
                         260K 75w90 Motul Gear 300

Coolant: 211K OEM Subaru Blue w/Conditioner

Thermostat: 211k OEM

Brake Pads/Rotors:  226.5k Stoptech Street Performance Pads, 175k Unknown Rotors

Brake Fluid: 175k Unknown Fluid
                    258k Castrol GT LMA DOT 4

Power Steering Fluid: 225k Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Fuel Filter: 207k OEM
                  260K Wix 33558

Cabin Air Filter: 211k Charcoal Filter - Brand Unknown
                          227.5k Charcoal Filter - ATP RA-37

Spark Plugs: 185k NGK LFR6AIX-11
                     260K NGK ILFR6B

Timing Belt: 260K Gates TCK328N w/Gates WP 43548

Accessory Belts: 260K Gates K050345 Alt & PS
                           260K Gates K040353 Air Con
                           260K Gates 38030 Idler

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:39:39 am »
I like you. You're good peoples.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
I'm afraid you're going to have a bad time trying to find an oem replacement for an FXT transmission.
As rare as a manual 04/05 FXT is, it's even more rare to find a 4.44 transmission/diff/gearset.

Replace filler neck plate and Clean Rust off of Filler Neck: Have parts in hand just need to get off my assay and do it.
I am curious about this.
Can you list the parts you're talking about? I have some rust issues in that area as well.

About the STi brake MC and booster, did you drive a stock forester XT before this one to see the difference?
I've got an STi MC and booster in my parts pile, and am curious if I need to do both, or if just the MC will solve that spongy forester feeling.

Suspension: I need to get low and wide enough so that I can be allowed to compete in AutoX with the fozzy, not to mention making it just plain old handle better without being slammed. Current plan is to run WRX struts with WRX lift springs. That way I have full access to the aftermarket strut options of the WRX, but should be around the height of forester specific lowering springs on forester shocks. I'll likely go with adjustable whiteline sways, just so I have the ability to play around with it.

WRX wagon suspension on the forester is awesome for my use. DD plus "fun" at autox.
IMO, you won't be competitive in a forester unless you put proper coilovers on, or at least stiffer springs (RCE yellows)
Putting WRX takeoffs on a forester just makes you a stock (06-07) wrx.

Bars and tires will definitely help in the competitiveness, but you'll still be a step away if you don't go beyond wrx level struts and springs.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=24850.msg528565#msg528565

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:38:40 pm »
I like you. You're good peoples.
Thanks bro. I was just reading your mini build thread that looks like one interesting headache haha. If you need an extra hand and I'm not up north working just give me a shout.

I'm afraid you're going to have a bad time trying to find an oem replacement for an FXT transmission.
As rare as a manual 04/05 FXT is, it's even more rare to find a 4.44 transmission/diff/gearset.
I've found a sister forester to mine that is being parted out. I'm going to see if I can get the guy to give me his vin so I can get subaru to look up the part numbers to see if they're identical. If that doesn't work what would you suggest? Any good subaru transmission rebuilders around?

Quote from: snackers
I am curious about this.
Can you list the parts you're talking about? I have some rust issues in that area as well.
Here are the pics of the parts and area:

For the surface rust on the neck itself I have a small toothbrush sized wire brush I'm going to use to remove the bulk of it, and then seal it with rust converter. For the inside of the mouth where theres some minor rust dust I will likely use metal polish and an SOS pad as I don't want paint inside of there. The parts in total were only like $15 and they had them all in stock.

About the STi brake MC and booster, did you drive a stock forester XT before this one to see the difference?
I've got an STi MC and booster in my parts pile, and am curious if I need to do both, or if just the MC will solve that spongy forester feeling.

The PO installed both along with the SS lines, so I don't have a real feel for what a stock SG forester is like. Its certainly far better than my old 01 Forester S, but it wasn't something I really paid attention to while driving it. If you come down to Calgary for one of the car meets you're more than welcome to feel it for yourself.

WRX wagon suspension on the forester is awesome for my use. DD plus "fun" at autox.
IMO, you won't be competitive in a forester unless you put proper coilovers on, or at least stiffer springs (RCE yellows)
Putting WRX takeoffs on a forester just makes you a stock (06-07) wrx.

Bars and tires will definitely help in the competitiveness, but you'll still be a step away if you don't go beyond wrx level struts and springs.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=24850.msg528565#msg528565
I've read through your whole Fozzy build thread. Very nice, and I'm going about my build fairly similarly. Its first and foremost a DD/Roadtrip vehicle, that may see the odd poorly maintained dirt road or parking lot. So I don't want something as agressive and expensive as coilovers. I don't really expect to be competitive at autoX, I just want to be able to try it for fun. I don't plan on using WRX takeoffs, I'll likely be looking at koni inserts, billstiens, etc etc. And for springs something like the king lift springs that are taller as well as a bit stiffer and progressive.

Also heres what $335 of LED's look like:

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 01:58:22 pm »
Nice order of LED's. I just my order in last weekend and hope to install them soon.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:15:41 pm »
Nice order of LED's. I just my order in last weekend and hope to install them soon.
Thanks. I unfortunately realized after the fact that Diode Dynamics infact didn't have all the bulbs for the forester listed on their site for the breakdown. My own fault I suppose for not double checking myself, but now I have something to spend those Diode points on. What LED's did you end up going with?

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:28:29 pm »
I don't know about transmission rebuilders, but any shop that's trusted should be able to do it so long as you give them the specs of the gears.
A subaru 5mt isn't a mystery like the 6mt dccd.

Your rust issue is exactly mine. I was hoping to not have to replace the entire filler tube.

Good plans with the suspension.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:47:25 pm »
I don't know about transmission rebuilders, but any shop that's trusted should be able to do it so long as you give them the specs of the gears.
A subaru 5mt isn't a mystery like the 6mt dccd.

Your rust issue is exactly mine. I was hoping to not have to replace the entire filler tube.

Good plans with the suspension.
I'm 95% sure I found a transmission, just waiting on the vin to confirm its a match with mine. However its $700, private sale so no real guarantee no matter how much they swear by it being good, and its in a field 20 mins out of Calgary, and I would have to tear it out of the Fozzy corpse myself. Ugh... I might look into the rebuilding option. At least that way I would get a proper warranty on all the work, not just on the part.

I don't really see any need to replace the filler neck unless I remove the plate and it ends up being a nightmare behind it. I'm just doing this because I'm from Nova Scotia and rust gives me Vietnam Flashbacks. I'll take some pics when I pop the cover off.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »
Your LED order fills me with envy, if it's any consolation :D

I've also go the same filler neck rust, and was hoping it was just around the hole (ie. P/N 42056AA011). Does P/N 42060GA081 go underneath that?

You can have a go in my FXT tomorrow at the QP show & shine, if you want! I'm running JDM wagon springs & struts, which feel much stiffer than my WRX's Tanabe DF210s + Tokico DSpecs.

Also, no MC brace, nor STi booster, but my LGT brakes are gigamiles ahead of the OEM brakes. They bite as hard as my WRX with fancy SS lines, Perrin MC brace, DBA Club Spec T3 rotors, EBC greens, and RBF600. What a pile of hype to spend money on!
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »
Your LED order fills me with envy, if it's any consolation :D

I've also go the same filler neck rust, and was hoping it was just around the hole (ie. P/N 42056AA011). Does P/N 42060GA081 go underneath that?

You can have a go in my FXT tomorrow at the QP show & shine, if you want! I'm running JDM wagon springs & struts, which feel much stiffer than my WRX's Tanabe DF210s + Tokico DSpecs.

Also, no MC brace, nor STi booster, but my LGT brakes are gigamiles ahead of the OEM brakes. They bite as hard as my WRX with fancy SS lines, Perrin MC brace, DBA Club Spec T3 rotors, EBC greens, and RBF600. What a pile of hype to spend money on!
Thanks, hopefully the LED's live up to the hype.

Yes GA081 is the rubber seal/bushing between the neck and the body that AA011 sandwiches into place. I'm fairly certain its isolated to that plate and where the plate rust got onto the filler neck mostly because that plate is unpainted for whatever reason. I'd paint it, but no place to do it, and it was only like 5 bucks anyway.

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that. I've been pondering the LGT brakes, but then I'd be trapped into running 17's all year long. Also I've seen a lot of reports on the Fozzy forum of them feeling very spongy.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 02:12:56 am »
Did some late night pre-meet detailing.

Polished the headlights with the 3M headlight kit. Fairly impressed with the kit other than the non resealable pouches of cutting compound and wax. Theres likely enough materials (sandpaper and paste) to do 3 cars. Though my drill only has enough battery capacity to do one headlamp if you take your time and do it right.

Grabbed a white tire crayon at crappy tire and whited out the lettering on the tires. I like the look, the crayon should do for the park and polish purposes but I'll have to look into a proper tire marker.

Tore out the windshield wiper bottle and fuel filter/bracket to install the Grimspeed MC brace. At that point I realized that Jutes didn't include the required longer/extra bolts to actually install it. My fault for not double checking I guess. Bummer none the less. Might be able to find some tomorrow, they look like m6x1.25x20 or so.

I figured If I bother polishing/waxing the Fozzy I'll do it tomorrow to kill time. Aspen white is pretty hard to see any difference in no matter how much elbow grease used, especially because there is literally no pearl or flake just 2 stage white. It makes it low maintenance and easy to touch up, but is it ever depressing to detail.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 09:22:24 am »
Just got back from Dominion Automatic Transmission. They took it for a test drive (free of charge) and their initial impression is that its the front differential bearings, Vex thought it was something coming from the rear but I'll take their opinion with a grain of salt; as I have no idea what they did to diagnose it other than charging me .75 of an hour of labor on top of the general check over to tell me they wont repair transmission issues, just swap in used ones or do complete overhauls. Nothing against Vex, I just don't think I'd recommend taking transmission problems to them unless you just want another transmission swapped in place or the transmission entirely rebuilt. Which is fair enough, I just wish I knew this was the case before I paid an extra $80 to find this out.

Dominion is going to put it up on the hoist and confirm where the noise is coming from (also free of charge), either later this afternoon or tomorrow morning. They quoted me 8 hours for the basic removal and reinstall, and up to 12 hours if they tear it open. Which is not too bad all things considered.

Also the pictures from the Quarry Park Park & Polish are in, and I've got the rest of the odds and ends to deal with the minor rust touch up.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »
I got the Forester over to Dominion automatic for a transmission teardown. Apparently it is the "transfer shaft" bearing that failed, it disintegrated and got metal filing through some other bearings as well. Trying to figure out exactly where/what they're describing as the "transfer shaft" in the tranny, they said its apparently common so perhaps what they're describing is called something else in the Subaru relm. On the bright side it is just bearings apparently, no chewed gears or differentials. Waiting to hear back on what the damage is going to be price and availability wise.

Also my clutch is apparently on its last legs, which I'm not hugely surprised at seeing as I found no record of it being replaced. It looks like my local options so far are either minimal or expensive, I'd love to chuck in a stage 2 south bend clutch but no one has stock on them around here. So its looking like either OEM, Excedy aftermarket stock, or Excedy aftermarket upgrade. Vex wants 630 for the upgraded clutch kit which I think is a little too rich for what it is, the OEM clutch doesnt look to be available as a kit so buying it all individually makes it expensive, and Excedy aftermarket stock is well aftermarket stock.

What oil is going back into it I'm still debating between Redline 75w90ns, MotylGear 75w90, or Subaru High Performance (aka Extra S) Gear oil. I have to double check if the Fozzy has a mechanical or a clutch LSD to see what fluid to get for it.

I also picked up a Fozzy specific Kartboy short shifter kit from Vex, and picked up a forged Beatrush pitch stop mount off of kijiji for $80. Figured it would be easier to fire it in now with the tranny out.

If any one has any suggestions of clutch kits that can be had locally (and lot at a crazy price point) I'd appreciate it.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 02:43:25 pm »
I told you it was one of the transfer bearings :D Very common failure and probably the same failure as my vehicle. They are located in the tail housing of the transmission.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2071286

Part # 24, 26, 28, 32

I priced the bearings from Subaru a few weeks back and I think it was only about 160 ish for the 4.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 02:44:09 pm »
I told you it was one of the transfer bearings :D Very common failure and probably the same failure as my vehicle. They are located in the tail housing of the transmission.
Thats not what they told me, they said it was in the front of the transmission. If I find out that it was in the tail housing of the transmission and I blew 8 hours of labor on removing the whole unit I'll be a bit displeased.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 02:45:53 pm »
So I am guessing they removed the entire transmission instead of just the tail housing? Might as well replace the clutch and the associated parts at this point.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 02:54:17 pm »
So I am guessing they removed the entire transmission instead of just the tail housing? Might as well replace the clutch and the associated parts at this point.
That's correct, and I specifically mentioned to them that Vex thought it was coming from the rear and that if it was it could be done without removing the transmission; just the tail shaft housing. They might have a point with bearing contamination however though seeing as how much metal was on your drain plug on the main case.

I'm going to have them replace pretty much everything that required the tranny to be out. I'm debating the rear main seal, I see a lot of people saying if its not leaking don't touch it and that its easy to screw up.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Bearings, bearings everywhere...
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »
One thing that I would recommend is to buy the bearings from Subaru rather than a 3rd party supplier. A good transmission shop will make sure it is shimmed correctly but there will be a less chance of error using Subaru OEM parts.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »
That's correct, and I specifically mentioned to them that Vex thought it was coming from the rear and that if it was it could be done without removing the transmission; just the tail shaft housing. They might have a point with bearing contamination however though seeing as how much metal was on your drain plug on the main case.

I'm going to have them replace pretty much everything that required the tranny to be out. I'm debating the rear main seal, I see a lot of people saying if its not leaking don't touch it and that its easy to screw up.

Sorry to hear that they didn't initially diagnose the problem properly. I ended up having to tackle the problem myself as most shops just wanted to replace the part with a used transmission (which may still have bad bearings) than replacing the 4 bearings on my vehicle (assuming that is the problem).
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 03:06:29 pm »
One thing that I would recommend is to buy the bearings from Subaru rather than a 3rd party supplier. A good transmission shop will make sure it is shimmed correctly but there will be a less chance of error using Subaru OEM parts.
Indeed, I will definitely confirm that with the tranny shop. That being said if they're NSK or Koyo bearings and they will warranty their work (which I assume they will) I wont have too much of a problem with it.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »
Sorry to hear that they didn't initially diagnose the problem properly. I ended up having to tackle the problem myself as most shops just wanted to replace the part with a used transmission (which may still have bad bearings) than replacing the 4 bearings on my vehicle (assuming that is the problem).
We'll see what happens when they get back to me with the bearings and associated part numbers. It sounds like the clutch needed replacing anyway, but I certainly don't like wasting gratuitous amounts of money either. Especially when I'm waiting on this to be done so I can go back to work, and have had to pass on several gravytrain jobs as a result of waiting.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 05:05:48 pm »
I'd love to chuck in a stage 2 south bend clutch.

Why? You're not making any more power than an oem exedy can handle.
A "stage 2" clutch does not correlate to your "stage 2" subaru.

What oil is going back into it I'm still debating between Redline 75w90ns, MotylGear 75w90, or Subaru High Performance (aka Extra S) Gear oil. I have to double check if the Fozzy has a mechanical or a clutch LSD to see what fluid to get for it.

Neither. It's a sealed viscous, which means you can put chocolate pudding in there. The fluid in the rear pumpkin is used strictly as a cooling agent, not a lubrication agent.
Whatever you put in the transmission is good enough for the rear diff.

If any one has any suggestions of clutch kits that can be had locally (and lot at a crazy price point) I'd appreciate it.

Not locally.
Gripforce.
Exedy OEM (stage1)

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 05:20:16 pm »
Why? You're not making any more power than an oem exedy can handle.
A "stage 2" clutch does not correlate to your "stage 2" subaru.
I've heard great things about southbend clutches both from my experience in the Supra community, and looking into its applications in the Subaru community I see more of the same. They make some of the highest rated full face stock engagement clutches available. My power goal would likely be 250-300 tops, their "stage 2 daily driver" is rated at 345ftlbs crank so its well within the threshold and TBH the large expenditure feels less crappy if I'm at least "upgrading" as cheesy as it seems.

Honestly I think the whole "stage X" label when it comes to cars is kind of foolish considering the diversity of car mods, I've never even bother learning what constituted a "stage" until I got my Fozzy as no one in the Supra community ever referred to their cars as "stage X".

Neither. It's a sealed viscous, which means you can put chocolate pudding in there. The fluid in the rear pumpkin is used strictly as a cooling agent, not a lubrication agent.
Whatever you put in the transmission is good enough for the rear diff.
Ah interesting, good to know. I take it your picture of your gear oil in 10secdream's thread must have been for your sti and it uses a different kind of LSD.

Not locally.
Gripforce.
Exedy OEM (stage1)
I'll have to see if I can cross reference the part number from Exedy's line with the one Napa offers, as an added bonus I still have access to NapaProlink's site so I can see how much the shop is marking up the clutch kit when they quote me.

EDIT: The Napa site doesn't show what the Exedy part number is because it bounces through one of their distributors (altrom) but looking at the fitment list and clutch disk size it appears to be the OEM replacement, no listing for the stage 1 HD clutch (the stage 1 and oem replacement are separated on their site, the oem is a 228mm disk the stage 1 is a 230mm disk).

EDIT 2: WOW the difference in pricing between NAPA in Nova Scotia and in Alberta is INSANE. Retail for the part in Nova Scotia currently: $445 Retail for the part in Alberta currently: $585... ridiculous. Definitely makes Vex's price look more justified.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 05:35:10 pm »
Ah interesting, good to know. I take it your picture of your gear oil in 10secdream's thread must have been for your sti and it uses a different kind of LSD.

Correct.
Nothing stopping you from using it in your r160, but it isn't a requirement.

About the clutch... I'm all for "upgrade to better parts while you're in there", except in this case.
Pick a brand you trust, sure.
Picking a stickier pad material? ("stage2") Just my opinion, but I wouldn't unless you immediately plan to do mods that drastically increase the power output from the engine that requires that stickier clutch.
The oem clutch has some "give". If you upgrade the clutch material, all you will be doing is transferring the shock further down the drivetrain. In this case, then next step is the gears in the trans.

Granted you already have some issues with your transmission, but do you want to have to replace broken gears too?
A "stage 2" clutch might not be as drastic as a 6puck, but I'd still consider the consequences of a stickier clutch on otherwise oem equipment (trans gears, driveshaft, all related bushings)