Author Topic: What is your favorite beer?!?!  (Read 50186 times)

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
Re: What is your favorite beer?!?!
« Reply #350 on: April 23, 2012, 11:38:18 am »
Tried some Royal Jamaican Ginger beer on the weekend and I must say I prefer it more than Crabbie's.  More ginger taste and has a bite to it.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #351 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:04 am »
This is probably my current favorite and has been a regular in the fridge for a while now. Great citrus aroma on the head, light fruit flavor on the tongue combined with the unique taste of Belgian malts, and a lip smacking hit of bitterness on the finish. Great on it's own or with hearty, spicy dishes. Love this stuff!

I would like to retract this statement. This is better... so much so that I bought quite a few bottles because I won't be able to get it once I'm in BC.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #352 on: April 23, 2012, 04:48:46 pm »
nice, that looks good.  and since it's from WR, easy to get.  i'll be on the look out for it on my next liquor run.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #353 on: April 26, 2012, 09:20:32 am »
If you like Blanche de Chambly,  give the Ephemere apple and Ephemere Black currant a try.  Great light summer beers.

From Unibroue,  my faves are the Maudite,  and the Trois Pistoles. One of the specialty beers I really want to try is called Terrible.

those beers you listed except the terrible I have tried, and none of them were fit for drinking.  I had them on a ski trip in big white and couldnt even give them away to my drunk friends.  I ended up pouring them down the sink.  (Unibroue, Maudite, Trois Pistoles)

i am interested in this ephemere apple.  where would i find it?

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2012, 09:25:40 am »
i am interested in this ephemere apple.  where would i find it?

I picked some up from Sherbrooke this past weekend and it really isn't anything special at all.  I still have 4 bottles left even out of a 6 pack.

Pomme Lambic is just so much better.   

stefan

« Reply #355 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »
I would like to retract this statement. This is better... so much so that I bought quite a few bottles because I won't be able to get it once I'm in BC.

Interesting.. I like it but, I was a little disappointed with some of its characteristics. I'm not sure Belgian is a good qualifier because the head falls pretty short of a good Belgian. Taste wise it's more like.. Belgian-inspired.

Offline ScoobyDoo911

• Patchy Faced
  • Eat Sleep Boost!
  • Ride: 2011 Subaru WRX STI OBP Stage 2.
« Reply #356 on: May 02, 2012, 08:20:26 am »
Tried apricot beer this weekend... wow that was crazy!
A Turbo: "Exhaust gases go into the Turbocharger and spin it. Witchcraft Happens and you go FASTER"-Jeremy Clarkson.

Offline hands..off

• Patchy Faced
What is your favorite beer?!?!
« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:26 am »
I was at Craft beer market a few weekends ago and also tried an apricot beer. It was Alley Kat, and more amber than I was expecting (because I'm sure they advertised it as a pale ale... Though I did have too many to remember). It was interesting but delicious!

Offline Habby

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Subaru WRX
« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55:47 pm »
Definitley Brewhouse Pilsner  ;D

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2012, 10:52:55 pm »
Interesting.. I like it but, I was a little disappointed with some of its characteristics. I'm not sure Belgian is a good qualifier because the head falls pretty short of a good Belgian. Taste wise it's more like.. Belgian-inspired.

The wife and I both had a glass, the head on her was much more "Belgian". I'm not sure what it is, but I really like the combination of the Belgian yeast with loads of hops.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »
Had some sort of Wild Rose something tonight, I know Dalhousie and Crowfoot both has a sampler of 15 bottles of it on right now, completely forget what it was...
Had "spring" in the name, was super good!!

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2012, 11:18:47 am »
Picked up a case of Bud Light Lime Mojitos last night.  Anyone else try them yet?

Offline RatFink

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: My Upass...
« Reply #362 on: May 19, 2012, 10:51:03 pm »
Tried apricot beer this weekend... wow that was crazy!

If you like apricot beer, give this stuff a try: http://mcauslan.com/en/produits/bieres-regulieres/st-ambroise-labricot-de-ble/
It's available at most co-op liquor stores around the city and is probably my favourite drink on a 30 degree day.

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #363 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:47 am »
Picked up a case of Bud Light Lime Mojitos last night.  Anyone else try them yet?

I am on my 3rd case. They are like drinking juice. Very Tasty. The only thing about them is that I find they need to be drank very cold otherwise they taste a bit off.

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline zer0cool

• **banned**
  • Patchy Faced
  • XELR8 Addict
  • Ride: 2012 SWP STI
What is your favorite beer?!?!
« Reply #364 on: May 20, 2012, 04:07:18 pm »
Brahma Beer is by far my favorite. I can't find it anywhere anymore. The bottle was shaped also. So smooth and zero aftertaste.
Racecar Spelled Backwards Is Still Racecar

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2012, 07:48:26 am »
Brahma Beer is by far my favorite. I can't find it anywhere anymore. The bottle was shaped also. So smooth and zero aftertaste.

try cobra, if you can find it.  same idea, but i found it even smoother then brahma.  Its an Indian beer

Offline The Goat

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2011 STI Sedan WRB, 1997 JDM Forester S/TB
« Reply #366 on: May 21, 2012, 11:55:51 am »
I had Mikkeller "Ris a la M'ale" last night it is very very good hard to describe all the flavors in the bottle and the fact that none of the flavor is over powering make it an amazing beer. Even my none beer drinking friends enjoyed this beer.
"When there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire"

2011 GR STI
1997 S/TB Forester

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #367 on: May 21, 2012, 12:13:16 pm »
I had Mikkeller "Ris a la M'ale" last night it is very very good hard to describe all the flavors in the bottle and the fact that none of the flavor is over powering make it an amazing beer. Even my none beer drinking friends enjoyed this beer.

Mikkeller makes some fantastic beer, I am particularly fond of their 1001 IBU IPA.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline The Goat

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #368 on: May 21, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »
Ya I like a lot of the mikkelar stuff except "Beer geeks breakfast"I could not drink that

2011 GR STI
1997 S/TB Forester

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #369 on: June 09, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »
FAT TUG IPA

IPA fans, this is a notable brew and a "must have". I am not sure if it is available in Alberta (or further east), but you should try to find it.

It's by Driftwood Brewery out of Victoria. I've had a number of their beers, but this is the best so far. A very floral nose, with a hint of citrus. I have no idea what kind of hops are in it, but I would hazard a guess that they are of the Cascade variety. On the palate you get a fantastic array of citrus and some exotic fruit flavors. Everyone things light beer is for summer, but I would suggest that a fine north western style IPA is a much better drink for a hot summers day. The finish is fantastically hoppy, bitter and sharp but well balanced by the malts. It's friggin' delicious and will be a regular in the fridge this summer.

Snapseed by THE EDJ, on Flickr
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline RatFink

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: My Upass...
« Reply #370 on: June 15, 2012, 10:30:50 pm »
Had a beer at Dieu de Ciel last week in Montreal during the F1 race, it was brewed with Pinot Noir in it, and it was absolutely fantastic.

Offline The Goat

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #371 on: August 11, 2012, 06:32:01 pm »
Back from the dead

Anyone using Untappd App? its on both Android and iOS. I am having trouble stumping it, I has every beer I have tried in the last 15 days. If you have it feel free to add me "The Goat"

2011 GR STI
1997 S/TB Forester

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #372 on: August 12, 2012, 10:22:48 am »
Just tried an english beer last night called Black Sheep Ale.  It was excellent.  highly recommended.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #373 on: August 12, 2012, 11:15:34 am »
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline The Goat

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #374 on: August 19, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »
I purchase lot of beer today after discovering the Sherbrooke Liquor store in Edmonton (AKA Best in Alberta). Yes I have been to Kensington in Calgary. I purchase a few things but the highlight of the hall is ...

A 6 pack of "Westvleteren 12" this is a Belgium Trappist Monk beer. Trappist beer normally are only available for purchase from the monetary in Belgium and I think Norway. This is a limited release one time only, they are trying to build a new brewery so they made an exception this once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

Now I can not decide if I should even drink this beer. Keep in mind this is easy to get right now but soon will be very hard and only get harder over the years. Currently they sell for $79 for the 6 pack with 2 glasses. If you exclude the glasses that about $13 for a beer. For now these are getting stored maybe drink one on my birthday.

2011 GR STI
1997 S/TB Forester