Author Topic: 2015 Biking Thread  (Read 18915 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Re: 2015 Biking Thread
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2015, 02:14:32 pm »
I've been really contemplating selling my DH rig to get a XC bike. I went to Fernie once this year, it just feels like a waste. And my bike sits in the dining room, so I don't really have room for 2 :(

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2015, 02:55:59 pm »
I wouldn't go "XC", get something that is more of a trail (enduro) style bike.

Trail bikes will have about 120-160mm travel and will still be able to DH decently. As long as you watch out for some of the larger drops/jumps (+4'). And XC bike might not be able to handle repeated drops/jumps.

Something like a Giant Trance or Scott Genius are great options for around here.

FTR.. There's SOO many trails around calgary, it's crazy.  Between fish creek & Eastlands (good for a quick ride), to West Bragg Creek/Moose. Then there's Canmore, banff.. The list goes on.. With all sorts of variety within any distance of the city.
Jeff

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2015, 09:40:37 pm »
I wouldn't go "XC", get something that is more of a trail (enduro) style bike.

Trail bikes will have about 120-160mm travel and will still be able to DH decently. As long as you watch out for some of the larger drops/jumps (+4'). And XC bike might not be able to handle repeated drops/jumps.

Something like a Giant Trance or Scott Genius are great options for around here.

FTR.. There's SOO many trails around calgary, it's crazy.  Between fish creek & Eastlands (good for a quick ride), to West Bragg Creek/Moose. Then there's Canmore, banff.. The list goes on.. With all sorts of variety within any distance of the city.

I guess saying XC was incorrect, was typing quick at the office. It would be something a bit more than that, in the 120-160mm range that could handle some jumps, but not be a hog on trails. I live close to Fish Creek so go there for a ride sometimes, but a Stinky just isn't efficient. I've always been intrigued by Bottlerocket's, but not sure how they are on a trail. None of my buddies ride DH, the ones who do ride do trails in Canmore and what not, as with the gf. Makes having a dedicated DH rig kinda useless :(.

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2015, 11:37:31 pm »
I guess saying XC was incorrect, was typing quick at the office. It would be something a bit more than that, in the 120-160mm range that could handle some jumps, but not be a hog on trails. I live close to Fish Creek so go there for a ride sometimes, but a Stinky just isn't efficient. I've always been intrigued by Bottlerocket's, but not sure how they are on a trail. None of my buddies ride DH, the ones who do ride do trails in Canmore and what not, as with the gf. Makes having a dedicated DH rig kinda useless :(.

I used to have a nomad, it handled anything i did with it. Light enough to pedal arounf, and sturdy enough to race dh on.
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2015, 07:56:07 am »
if you don't ride proper DH, there's no point in buying a DH bike.
modern enduro/AM bikes handle moderate DH fairly well, frames are strong enough, but the geometry isn't ideal for steep/fast gnar. and enduro wheels, particularly aluminum ones, seem to be on borrowed time when used in the rock. rode with two guys in Silverstar this summer who rode their enduro bikes (one 27.5, one 29er), both had major issues with wheels - at last count they had 10 total broken spokes, and one folded rear 29" wheel between the two after 3 days. saw a couple of guys in Whistler that folded their rear wheels training for the Crankworx enduro race as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2015, 06:30:31 pm »
coop3422 it sounds like you'd be happy on a bigger all mountain or "enduro" bike. Something with variable geometry and/or suspension travel settings that you can tune to match what kind of riding you do. Most of the riding in the Okanagan requires some climbing, but those same trails or routes can have some pretty gnarly downhill sections with big rocks, drops, etc. so most people here need a bike that does everything pretty well. I know guys on a Giant Reign, Devinci Spartan, Rocky Mountain Altitude, Knolly Warden, just to name a few.

It goes without saying, but good suspension is going to be the key thing on a bike like this!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2015, 09:56:28 am »
coop3422 it sounds like you'd be happy on a bigger all mountain or "enduro" bike. Something with variable geometry and/or suspension travel settings that you can tune to match what kind of riding you do. Most of the riding in the Okanagan requires some climbing, but those same trails or routes can have some pretty gnarly downhill sections with big rocks, drops, etc. so most people here need a bike that does everything pretty well. I know guys on a Giant Reign, Devinci Spartan, Rocky Mountain Altitude, Knolly Warden, just to name a few.

It goes without saying, but good suspension is going to be the key thing on a bike like this!

Yeah, something in that range will likely be the ticket. Although I'm sure I won't get much for my bike, this time of year for sure. Might take a look at what others are listed at.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #207 on: October 28, 2015, 06:09:52 pm »
My Giant Reign X2 is great and handles anything I through at it from trail days at West Bragg and Revy to a day at Silverstar. The one thing I'd suggest would be that if you go for a mid range build would be to look at upgrading to a rear air shock like the CC air can. Or do what I did and get a Fox dhx air 5.0 and put a smaller volume air can on it for that oh so wonderful plush ride.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2015, 10:33:24 pm »
Or just get your air shock PUSH'ed or tuned by Avalanche.  My Fox CTD rode like itshay, but it's got an Avalanche tune on it and it rides pretty damn smooth.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2015, 10:58:00 pm »
What made you go with avalanche? Vs the guys in bc?

I'm debating sending my shocks away this winter to get them rebuilt and tuned. I've got fox ctd as well.
Jeff

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #210 on: October 29, 2015, 11:16:41 pm »
It needed servicing.. the debate was whether to get it done by the Canadian arm of PUSH or Avalanche..  I'm not an expert rider by any means, but Avalanche came highly regarded by a lot of the Knolly riders on MTBR.  They seemed to have dealt more with Ava then with Push.  Craig Seekins (the guy behind Avalanche) was very responsive to questions.  He's great on the phone as well.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2015, 09:57:46 am »
Craig @ Avalanche absolutely rocks! when he first came out with his fork cartridges I was the very first person to put one in a 888. his adapters were dialed in for Boxxers, but 888 adapters were still in the prototype phase when I bought mine. the ones he sent didn't fit right for my 888, and within 3 minutes of sending him an email he responded with his personal cell # to get everything properly measured and sorted out. new adapters were built in less than a day, and he didn't charge me to ship new adapters via same day courier.

Avy goodies are works of art. CNC'd (and anodized) aluminum used everywhere, the valving is absolutely spot on, and Craig bends over backwords to make sure you're happy. given the choice between Avalanche and PUSH, my money would go to Craig every time.

now that he's able to work his magic on shocks that are garbage from factory (specifically the DHX Air, yes I've owned one), that's something I'd strongly consider instead of PUSH or Cane Creek. I've ran CCDB air rear shocks on my DH bikes for the last 2 seasons (with multiple DB coils on the 3 DH bikes before that). and as awesome as they perform, Cane Creek's customer service couldn't be more brutal. had I kept my DHX Air, it would be sent to Craig and my DB airs likely would go away.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein