Author Topic: Bike Insurance?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline HondaBilly

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 WRX
Bike Insurance?
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:13:53 am »
Do any of you guys have your mountain/downhill/road/jump bikes insured?  I recently purchased a new bike and I'm tossing around the idea of adding it to the house policy. 

Offline Dutchy

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Camaro SS 1le
Re: Bike Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:01:07 am »
I've got both of mine insured. The one was a must do to the cost of it. Your yearly amount might go up $100 but it's worth it considering how often bikes get stolen.

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:10:09 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but I though they were covered under the house policy?
Jeff

Offline HondaBilly

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 WRX
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:20:56 am »
They are up to a certain dollar amount.  My current policy covers $1000 with a $1000 deductible for bikes.  I think because bikes are stolen so often that it got so expensive for insurance companies that they had to include the huge deductible to prevent fraud.

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:47:26 am »
Didn't know that.. Just thought if I had the receipts it was covered.

Just checked and my bikes are covered.So GTG.
Jeff

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:30:51 am »
After my first bike got stolen I got insurance as soon as we bought the next one, the first one we only got $1000 for under my parents house insurance. Ironicly I bought the smart make and model of bike and it got stolen a year later, which I received full value for a new one. When I got my Santa Cruz it was insured up to $7500.

Go into any bike shop and they'll give you a quote to send into your insurance company. I got one from pedalhead and one from Calgary cycle.
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline Dutchy

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Camaro SS 1le
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 12:16:18 pm »
Being a new bike call to see if your coverage will be enough to pay for it.  If not fax your receipt to them and they'll bump up the amount of replacement.  I've got 7000 for one bike and 2500 for my second bike. My house insurance went up when I added. My $7000 bike.  I also have a zero deductible on that.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:23 pm »
After my first bike got stolen I got insurance as soon as we bought the next one, the first one we only got $1000 for under my parents house insurance. Ironicly I bought the smart make and model of bike and it got stolen a year later, which I received full value for a new one. When I got my Santa Cruz it was insured up to $7500.

Go into any bike shop and they'll give you a quote to send into your insurance company. I got one from pedalhead and one from Calgary cycle.

Yup, that is what I did when my bike was stolen years ago.  Best part was when they did the insurance quote they do retail value.... Nothing on my bike I put on it was purchased at full retail (staff discount + bell sports clearance FTW).  That plus updated equivalent model I got quite a lot more for my bike especially since it was starting to fall apart and needed a bunch of new parts.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 01:13:28 pm »
Yup, that is what I did when my bike was stolen years ago.  Best part was when they did the insurance quote they do retail value.... Nothing on my bike I put on it was purchased at full retail (staff discount + bell sports clearance FTW).  That plus updated equivalent model I got quite a lot more for my bike especially since it was starting to fall apart and needed a bunch of new parts.

So you're why snackers'es's insurance is going up!
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole