Author Topic: Rotella T6 for high mileage? Which oil filter?  (Read 6925 times)

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '22 Venza | '03 S2K
Re: Rotella T6 for high mileage? Which oil filter?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 09:32:54 pm »
all my personal research was from cutting filters to determine engine failures, never was a cut new filter. Seeing how the majority held up to time was my basis of judgement. Could i be wrong in my findings, absolutely lol. But having a filter media turn to dust or seeing what looked like erosion kinda puts the cherries on top. I dont want to run crap either just like the rest of you hahah. Im passionate about the trade, and im happy that everyone here is good itshay and pretty much get along with everyone here. Id never purposely lead you astray if i wouldnt do it myself. I want whats best for everyone too, i dont have fancy micron testing etc but ive seen some gnarly itshay lol

I do know that if you like k&n filters, buy mobil1 instead i believe theyre a tad cheaper yet are damn near identical coming from the same manufacturer. You just wont get the nut on the end

The rx8 topic shoulda been brought up at the beginning! frick

Safe to say Rotella T6 and 2009 rx8 N3R1 14 302 filters ftw?

As long as you don't have an EL header that interferes with the filter (like the Killer B holy header as mentioned above). The RX-8 filters are longer, but do fit and are rated for the same pressure as the initial Roki ones made for the Subarus.

Rotella T6 is the best bang for the buck oil for a turbo EJ Subaru. If you're looking to pay more, Motul 5W40 is a great oil as well and the Subaru dealerships sell it (at quite the markup). If you're after Motul, I'd get it through First Gear. If Rotella is your cup of tea, Canadian Tire should carry it AFAIK.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Ride: C6
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 10:00:19 pm »
Wallyfarts has rotella also. Im still hesitant, but you guys all swear by it so ill take the plunge. I love motul in my bike plus it smells like candy, the price keeps me from running it in the car.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 10:12:03 pm »
Rotella is fine. Any oil filter is likely fine as long as you change it consistently. However, I'd do oil analyses to be safe.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 10:58:56 pm »
I've been using a popcan stuffed with cardboard in both cars. Two years and my cars are still running strong. I change them once a year.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 11:01:30 pm »
I've been using a popcan stuffed with cardboard in both cars. Two years and my cars are still running strong. I change them once a year.
Still better than fram.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 11:11:40 pm »
Still better than fram.

Yeah, it really depends on what oil I use. My car didn't like the Shell Rotella, kept leaking all over the place. Maybe the molecules are too small or something?  Anyway, switched to Royal Purple and it's been great.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 07:03:10 am »
We all know you just itshay into the oil filler neck.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 07:23:14 am »
i use a Napa Gold 7712 Filter (similar to roki) and Shell Rotella.  I have zero comment on if thats the best oil for the engine nor do i care in the slightest. 

its good oil.  and i put it in the kar.

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 09:06:19 am »
Napa gold is wix

Offline wrx-zrx

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 10:21:22 am »
The problem with throwing out judgments and claims on the quality of any product will be met with the same response here each and every time.
If you don’t have actual proof to back up your beliefs you’re going to run into trouble.

all my personal research was from cutting filters to determine engine failures, never was a cut new filter. Seeing how the majority held up to time was my basis of judgement. Could i be wrong in my findings, absolutely lol. But having a filter media turn to dust or seeing what looked like erosion kinda puts the cherries on top. I dont want to run crap either just like the rest of you hahah. Im passionate about the trade, and im happy that everyone here is good itshay and pretty much get along with everyone here. Id never purposely lead you astray if i wouldnt do it myself. I want whats best for everyone too, i dont have fancy micron testing etc but ive seen some gnarly itshay lol

I do know that if you like k&n filters, buy mobil1 instead i believe theyre a tad cheaper yet are damn near identical coming from the same manufacturer. You just wont get the nut on the end

The rx8 topic shoulda been brought up at the beginning! frick

Safe to say Rotella T6 and 2009 rx8 N3R1 14 302 filters ftw?

The proof you cite in this example is lacking one very important aspect, you do not, and can not know how long the filters from these damaged engines have been in use, nor can you say what the conditions of use were. You are free to make educated guesses based on your experience and share them (remember, most here do not know your experience so expect that to be questioned as well) but to post a statement like “brand X oil filters are crap, don’t use them” based on evidence like this is not helping anybody in the community and it won't be well received.

You may not have fancy micron testing etc. but it's not hard to find someone who does.

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 10:40:45 am »
I get my Rotella from Auto Value.... cheaper than Canadian Tire (by a couple bucks) most of the time.

Offline gedarby011

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Black Subbie
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 11:12:50 am »
Would the company anyone sends their oil in for analysis possibly do some sort of analysis on the filters too?

Reading this thread has me interested in finding some sort of data for that.

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX DGM Hatch... w/ stickers!
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 11:23:46 am »
I'm more interested in why we have to send it to get analysed in the first place... My office has a lab in it with a ton of oil analysis equipment, I'm sure they could do UOAs on the side. Why can't we get it done locally?
I'm sure that at least one of the 16 chem PHDs are interested in cars there. I'll have to ask them.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 11:27:35 am »
I'm more interested in why we have to send it to get analysed in the first place... My office has a lab in it with a ton of oil analysis equipment, I'm sure they could do UOAs on the side. Why can't we get it done locally?
I'm sure that at least one of the 16 chem PHDs are interested in cars there. I'll have to ask them.

It's a matter of equipment, and cost.

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 11:39:35 am »
Understandable, but the equipment is readily available in so many places in Calgary (and likely Edmonton). Any place that does third party testing or chemical research - most large companies like Exova, Tervita, etc. but also lots of consulting firms - have the equipment.

And these labs are never really at full capacity, from what I've seen, so cost shouldn't be an issue. And all you need is the knowledge - lots of lab techs that I know have PHDs, so a few minutes of researching what molecule counts really mean (if they don't know already) and you can have a UOA done on the side, possibly for free. Molecule counts? Metal rates? Whatever, you get it. I'm just the accountant.

I'll have to look into this. Maybe they can provide UOAs to locals for a small fee, and maybe they won't want to have anything to do with it.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 11:47:26 am »
Understandable, but the equipment is readily available in so many places in Calgary (and likely Edmonton). Any place that does third party testing or chemical research - most large companies like Exova, Tervita, etc. but also lots of consulting firms - have the equipment.

And these labs are never really at full capacity, from what I've seen, so cost shouldn't be an issue. And all you need is the knowledge - lots of lab techs that I know have PHDs, so a few minutes of researching what molecule counts really mean (if they don't know already) and you can have a UOA done on the side, possibly for free. Molecule counts? Metal rates? Whatever, you get it. I'm just the accountant.

I'll have to look into this. Maybe they can provide UOAs to locals for a small fee, and maybe they won't want to have anything to do with it.

Sure, but I would be surprised if those firms were willing to do anything for little old us. We're nobodies. I can't see a major company wanting to spend time performing simple tests knowing that they can only charge a limited amount.

I would be hesitant to send my samples to a company that doesn't already have the expertise to provide useful advice on car oil samples. That's what companies like Blackstone offer.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 02:01:07 pm »
Certainly AGAT can and has done it. But Blackstone seems to provide insight along with the quantitative analysis.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 03:19:34 pm »
Fair enough. The big difference between Blackstone and labs with the equipment but not the expertise is definitely the quality of insight. I'm likely underestimating the ability it requires to provide the analysis that they do.

However, it might be a business opportunity for tuning/performance shops in the area! To outsource the process and provide insight themselves!

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 05:50:13 pm »
I wouldn't trust any of the tuning or performance shops. They have a vested interest in telling you the oil you're using is itshay, but the oil they're selling is amazing balls.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 01:59:01 am »
The T6 is on sale this week at crappy tire in the 5L jugs. Picked up a jug of 0w40 to try it out.

fwiw I've always ran German Castrol and wix/napa gold filters in my past cars. I wish Castrol would get their itshay together and put the GC into jug sizes and not just the liters. Would be so much less annoying and cheaper.

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2015, 07:54:32 pm »
The T6 is on sale this week at crappy tire in the 5L jugs. Picked up a jug of 0w40 to try it out.

fwiw I've always ran German Castrol and wix/napa gold filters in my past cars. I wish Castrol would get their itshay together and put the GC into jug sizes and not just the liters. Would be so much less annoying and cheaper.

I'm due for an oil change in 300 miles  so will check to see if this is a warm deal... But will be getting Mazda rx8 filter for my next change, probably need weekend.

Thx all ;)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »
Hey Coop,

I've tried Lucas (0w40), Mobil1 (5w30), and Rotella (0w40) in my Spec B and Rotella has burned the least, followed by Mobil1.
As for the filter, I've tried both Subaru OEM and Wix.... can't really tell a difference... if anyone has advice for a filter, I'd be open to suggestions, too...

Thanks. Picking up the last pieces for my bike rack so want an oil change done so I won't be worried driving around lol.

Glad I checked the CT website today and grabbed it while on sale.

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 09:16:30 am »
Sale ends tomorrow, on for $40.79. Fwiw the ct in Cochrane is having a moving sale on most all the store

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2015, 07:12:18 am »
Went ahead and did an oil change last night with Rotella T6 and the black Mazda RX8 filter.
Due to the fact the Mazda filter is a bit bigger I used a bit more oil than usual -- around 4.5l? (Manual says engine capacity is 4.2)

I loooooove how a car drives with fresh oil.

One thing to note, the black Mazda filters do not come with a crush washer :( So it may be a good idea to order a bunch online as I had to go to Auto Value and purchase 2 (M20 size) for $5!

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2015, 10:53:55 am »
I have a fumoto drain valve on my subaru. Haven't had to worry about crush gaskets for about 6 years now haha

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car