Author Topic: Charcoal Grilling/Smokeing  (Read 5019 times)

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
Re: Charcoal Grilling/Smokeing
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 05:56:16 pm »
Did up some ribs today and they turned out pretty damm tasty.  I put a little bit of sauce on the right side to give it a try.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 09:17:28 am »
Frostie the Smoker gifted me with a delicious applewood smoked brisket yesterday.

Coated it mustard and topped that with Monstreal Steak Spice, before grilling to 205F.  I foiled it at 160F so it would get to 203F quicker, esp with it being colder out.  Took about 8.5 hours total.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
Re: Charcoal Grilling
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 09:44:42 am »
No.. but I checked out full uncut beef Tenderloin recently...

Costco AAA: >$100 per
T&T Non-Graded:  $55 per

I just made a centre cut tenderloin with a Costco piece and it came out super delicious.  Probably a reason the Chinese meat markets are cheaper.
Do you recommend the Costco uncut tenderloin?  I came across that this weekend and was extremely tempted...

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 10:18:01 am »
Yes..  once you figure out how to trim and tie it, it's pretty awesome.

Start with this:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-trim-a-whole-beef-tenderloin.html

If you have access to a vacuum sealer, it's even more worthwhile.. you can cut and freeze to your liking.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 09:23:33 am »
Damn, it's been ~5 years already..  I've been smokeless for the past 4 and last week sold my smoker to a firehouse.  Fitting place for one.. considering firefighters are trained to put out fires.

What's next?  I can't have solid fuelled bbqs or smokers where I live (forbidden by City bylaws)..  I'm thinking of one of these:

Tucked in the corner of the propane BBQ.. I wonder if pellets would be considered "solid fuel?"

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Justy | Outback 3.0R | Crosstrek | STI
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 09:34:49 am »
https://www.amazon.ca/Broil-King-60190-Stainless-Smoker/dp/B00ATWB314
I've got one of these for our BBQ and it works ok for adding a bit of smoke.
The problem with smoking on a BBQ is that it's not sealed up very well so a lot of it is lost out the lid.
We mainly use it to add a bit of smoke while rotisserieing a chicken or roast. It adds a bit of flavour without having to spend an afternoon tending the actual smoker.
The one you listed looks bigger so losing the smoke might not be as much as an issue.
As for the 'solid fuel' bylaw, I think it'd depend on your relationship with your neighbours.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 12:39:23 pm »
Just picked up a binchotan from Knifewear a while ago and finally used it. Amazing experience compared to charcoal briquettes. The binchotan burns so hot and cleanly and for a really long time. We did yakitori chicken on skewers as well as chicken skins and veggies.

After several hours of grilling, we were able to quench the binchotan and will use it again next time.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

DaDuke99

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2020, 03:33:38 pm »
Just picked up a binchotan from Knifewear a while ago and finally used it. Amazing experience compared to charcoal briquettes. The binchotan burns so hot and cleanly and for a really long time. We did yakitori chicken on skewers as well as chicken skins and veggies.

After several hours of grilling, we were able to quench the binchotan and will use it again next time.
Was it a very well mustached guy named Rob who helped you @ Knifeworks by chance?

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2020, 10:36:40 pm »
My wife went to high school with that guy.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 02:09:22 pm »
haha. i dont actually remember. I bought it back in December but im in there pretty often. So hard trying not to buy more knives...

Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline mojikita

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 06:40:35 pm »
I just bought this vertical pellet smoker from Walmart. It was $498 before taxes and shipping.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pit-boss-5-series-vertical-pellet-smoker/6000198975055

I have a small tailgate version of the Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker, so I wanted to try something larger. I'm very interested in pellet grills/smokers and I've owned three styles. 

An interesting piece of info regarding pellets is the Canwick Hardwood Pellets at Canadian Tire are considered foodsafe. They are 100% hardwood with no fillers. You have to go pretty deep into the reviews and comments of the CT website to see the confirmation. Users had contacted the manufacturers and confirmed they were 100% foodsafe. I've been using these pellets for a couple of years with my smoker and it works great. It's $6.99 for a 40lb bag. Locally, 25lb specialty bags are closer to $40.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 09:57:13 am »
I just bought this vertical pellet smoker from Walmart. It was $498 before taxes and shipping.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pit-boss-5-series-vertical-pellet-smoker/6000198975055

I have a small tailgate version of the Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker, so I wanted to try something larger. I'm very interested in pellet grills/smokers and I've owned three styles. 

An interesting piece of info regarding pellets is the Canwick Hardwood Pellets at Canadian Tire are considered foodsafe. They are 100% hardwood with no fillers. You have to go pretty deep into the reviews and comments of the CT website to see the confirmation. Users had contacted the manufacturers and confirmed they were 100% foodsafe. I've been using these pellets for a couple of years with my smoker and it works great. It's $6.99 for a 40lb bag. Locally, 25lb specialty bags are closer to $40.
Do you have the Davy Crockett?  Do you find the size limiting at all?  Currently debating between the Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone.

Offline mojikita

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 05:28:45 pm »
Do you have the Davy Crockett?  Do you find the size limiting at all?  Currently debating between the Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone.

Yup, I have the Davy Crockett and yes, the size can be a limiting factor. I've smoked turkeys (spatchcocked) and done a brisket, so it's not a deal breaker. If I could do it again, I'd get the Daniel Boone.

The wifi aspect of the Green Mountain Grills, plus the accuracy of their controller are great features. Good customer service, too.

What I find with the Davy Crockett, because it's on the smaller size, the side with the exhaust vent gets quite a bit more heat. I imagine that would be less pronounced with the larger units.