Author Topic: Sean's Yellow C5 - Good Buddy  (Read 20333 times)

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
Re: Sean's Four Hundred and Eighteen Cubic Inches of 'Merica
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 09:32:45 pm »
Drove out to Lloydminster this afternoon to pick up the car. Unfortunately, it started snowing and slush was building up quickly about 50km out of Lloydminster. Had to abandon the plan and turn around. Drove for 30 minutes towards Edmonton, the roads were dry, and it was all sunny and blue sky... Oh well, today is not meant to be the day the corvette comes home. I will try again next weekend. Hope I have better luck.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 01:32:19 pm »
Congrats on the new ride.. She's a beaut!
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 05:38:46 pm »
Congrats on the new ride.. She's a beaut!
Thanks! The anticipation really is killing me slowly.

The previous owner scanned and sent me the dyno results. The torque "curve" isn't so much of a curve.
C5_Dyno

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
This Friday. Something is about happen...

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
Update: Just got the car home. Initial impressions:
1. Loud... very loud. Something has to be done about the exhaust. I'm pretty sure I woke up some neighbours when I got home. On the highway in 6th gear, the sound was livable.
2. It's got this kind of very raw power that just goes on and on in any gear. If I just go WOT, I could spin the tires at any RPM in 2nd and a bit in 3rd. Passing was very easy on the highway. It was nice to have the HUD reminding me of the speed. Going WOT looked like the other cars on the road decided to step on their brakes.
3. Fuel efficiency was good and bad...I averaged 9.1L/100km on the way back from LLoydminster and used half a tank of gas. Then I did a few pulls, and went through the rest of the tank in no time.
4. Handling seemed very intuitive. There is so much gravel on the road, I haven't taken any corners very fast yet, I will leave that to track days. The car corners very flat on off ramps though. Brake dive is VERY evident, the front shocks seem to have too little low speed compression.
5.Ride quality was surprisingly good. When I drove through the constructions in sherwood park, the car soaked up the smaller imperfections in the road fairly well. Over the bigger rougher stuff, I could feel the impact, but it was not sharp or jarring. However, it seemed like the shocks did not settle in one stroke, it felt like the car was a little bit busy after a big impact, but not nervous. I can't wait to see what this car will do with a set of good shocks.
7. The stock seats are nice and comfortable but they are very slippery and don't offer much lateral support.
8. Front and back visibility seems decent. Shoulder checks are difficult.
9. GM thought a 3/4 inch deep hole can be considered a cup holder.
10. Drove this car and my friend's modified 996C2 back to back. The C5 felt more raw, the 996 felt a lot more precise. It only takes a couple of turns to figure out the 996 has this surgery instrument level of precision.
11. Very loud. My ears are still ringing.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
Crankshaft position sensor died... Engine cut out at 100km/h...

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
New crank position sensor did not fix the issue. Don't know what to do next...

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
Check the signal continuity between the sensor and ecu? Check the original sensor to see if it was indeed out of spec/had failed to narrow down the problem.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
Check the signal continuity between the sensor and ecu? Check the original sensor to see if it was indeed out of spec/had failed to narrow down the problem.

That's what I will do next. Will check the chassis grounds, too. The sensor is located behind the starter motor, which is behind passenger side exhaust manifold. The ECU is behind passenger side wheel well. I'll have to get creative and be patient.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice

Finally got the car back on the road again. Had to take out half the passenger side wheel well to access the ECU. Checked continuity: signal was good, +12V was good, and ground was bad. Funny thing is, the ground was a black wire at the sensor end, and it mysteriously became yellow/black at the ECU end. I ran a new wire and the car started on the first crank. The new sensor made the car run like crap, swapped the old one in and it was great.

Went to the ASA lapping event on Sunday. I was a slow driver as always, but the car handled great. The engine oil ran pretty hot at 140C after just a few laps, coolant was also ran over 120 C. Sigh... I thought I was done working on the car, and could finally spend time driving the damn thing.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
Re: Sean's Yellow C5 aka Wasp - GM Electronics...
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 08:24:15 am »
Have you checked the vette forums to see what normal track temps for the car are?

Last two lapping days I've been worried about temps too, but after reading the track forums for my car, the temps I were seeing were mostly normal.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2016, 02:23:22 pm »
Have you checked the vette forums to see what normal track temps for the car are?

Last two lapping days I've been worried about temps too, but after reading the track forums for my car, the temps I were seeing were mostly normal.

The vette forums suggest 290F (140~145C ish) is pretty common on track for a car with stock cooling, but it is not a good temperature for the engine. I finished installing a DRM air-oil cooler at 2am, was going to sign up for today's track junkies track day. The registration closed at 8pm on Friday... At least I got a spot at the ASA's Sunday lapping day. Should be a good time.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2016, 11:51:23 pm »

Did this work?

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 07:28:27 am »

Did this work?

It did. Thank you very much for this photo. What car were you driving? Sorry I could not match ID to the car/face.

The oil cooler worked great. The oil temp stayed mostly in the 120's and I've only seen as high as 130. After a 20 minute break, the oil temp dropped down to about 75~80 C. Before the oil cooler, oil temp would easily get over 140C when I was taking it easy, and it would stay above 110 C after a 20 minute break.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 08:21:01 am »
There is an album link on mrhf, none of the pics are great, but it's better than nothing.

I was driving the blue M3.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 03:54:28 pm »
There is an album link on mrhf, none of the pics are great, but it's better than nothing.

I was driving the blue M3.

Great. I will come say HI next time, and maybe ask you how to drive faster. BTW I cannot find the album link.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 04:41:42 pm »
Great. I will come say HI next time, and maybe ask you how to drive faster. BTW I cannot find the album link.

:)
https://goo.gl/photos/uQ8Vyr3huhXzkDPv6

I was working the start line if that helps put a face to the screen name.

I'm always down for some bench racing if you want to chat.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 05:02:10 pm »
Something I just thought of to help you get faster uh, faster.

Leave the car in third. If you aren't catching people with far less power then you're not driving the lines well enough yet.
3rd will let you apply the throttle sooner / more aggressively.

I only use 2nd if I'm feeling really racy or am trying to catch people as fast or faster than me and need every little bit of go. Otherwise 3rd is nearly as quick.
Plus you'll save some wear on the car. :)

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 05:28:52 pm »
Something I just thought of to help you get faster uh, faster.

Leave the car in third. If you aren't catching people with far less power then you're not driving the lines well enough yet.
3rd will let you apply the throttle sooner / more aggressively.

I only use 2nd if I'm feeling really racy or am trying to catch people as fast or faster than me and need every little bit of go. Otherwise 3rd is nearly as quick.
Plus you'll save some wear on the car. :)

I totally remember you then. We laughed at my hood not latched properly, and talked about the STI that hard launched off the line.

I did leave the car in 3rd the entire time. Only used 1st and 2nd coming on/off the track. It allowed me to concentrate on learning to drive the lines. I find the tight section a bit tricky (T7~T11 on full track config).

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2016, 11:15:15 pm »
Another track day! The highest oil temperature was 133C, and it dropped 60C in between breaks. I had to fire up the car at least 5 minutes before my session to let the oil warm up. This is the first time I put the C5 on the full track, and the car was a lot of fun. Went for a ride in Davenport Motorsports' yellow C6Z06 (thanks Namala!) that put down some 1:28 laps. We almost found the limit of my stomach... The way it carried speed into and throughout corners was mind blowing, it was properly fast... Namala also went for a ride with me in the C5, which probably looked like slow motion to him. I learnt quite a few things, and I cannot wait to working on my skills at the next track day. Here is a picture of the wasp sitting beside my friend's STI.

Ricer moment: should I get the trackspec vents for the hood? It's worth 10~15C lower oil/coolant temperature in street driving, and even more when at speed. It would look like this. How do I resize a photo this large? [img width="aaa" height="bbb"] didn't quite work
http://trackspe.nextmp.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img_5215.jpg

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2016, 11:35:17 pm »

You track the car, you already have the C5R headlights, I say go for it.

It's way less ricey than running your numbers on the street, or fender stripes :P

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Sean's Yellow C5 aka Wasp - Track Day!
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2016, 11:47:46 pm »
Thanks for posting the photo. I am totally guilty for running my numbers on the street today. And my co workers made fun of me: my tape numbers look worse than demolition derby's trailer park style spray painted numbers.

On a better note: scored a set of OEM Z06 rims for $200. One rear wheel will need some repair. 295 square here I come! Well... gotta wait for next year.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2016, 12:11:53 am »
Yeah don't leave tape numbers on the car too long, makes a real mess.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2016, 12:52:46 am »
IMO I would either find a spare stock hood to put the extractors on, once you start carving up the factory bodywork you cross a line that you can't really come back from and then you're into full racecar territory.

Or you could get a fiberglass/cf hood with the extractors already built into it maybe even a reverse cowl hood if you can find one and pull more air through the radiator.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
The one picture above is the tiger shark C5 fiber glass hood. It is a little pricey at $1150 USD. Most of aftermarket C5 hoods seem to be made for style or superchargers. ACP makes a nice hood with air extractors but it's $1500+ USD. The trackspec vents look similar to the OE C7 style, proven in SCCA T1 races, and it's only $400. The yellow C5 has the T1 spec vents with smaller center vent and bigger side vents. They also make a GT2 spec, it has much bigger center vent and smaller side vents. I will have to mark them out on the hood with some dark painter's tape and see if I like the look. As far as race car territory goes, we all want race kars! >:D >:D