Author Topic: 2106/2017 Ski & Snowboard Thread  (Read 20944 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
2106/2017 Ski & Snowboard Thread
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:27:15 pm »
With a lot of companies starting to release their new 2016/2017 gear I figured it would be a good time to start up the ski & snowboard thread for this year.

I have decided this year I am going to ride a lot less park and get more into powder/all mountain riding.

I have been doing a lot of research lately into powder specific boards and have decided to go with the Capita Slush Slasher in 147 (always been a HUGE fan of the swallowtail). Now before you go and say that a 147 is WAY too small to ride in powder it has a 28cm width which gives it as much surface area as a normal 160cm powder board which allows it to float very easily on powder but also makes it very easy to control. Plus it will be uckfaying awesome for slashing away in the trees and spring riding. 

https://www.capitasnowboarding.com/snowboards/spring-break-slush-slasher

As for trips I have planned so far I am heading to Big White for the first time for New Years and from what I have heard that mountain will change my life haha.

Then what I am most excited for is Snowbombing at Sun Peaks. It is a HUGE music/snowboard festival in Europe and this will be the first time it comes to Canada. This is not till the beginning of April so I have a while to wait for this one haha.

Then obviously I will be hitting Sunshine/Marmot/Louise once or twice a month all winter long. And I almost forgot, probably the most fun snowboard trip of the year - Slush Cup at Sunshine!

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Re: 2106/2017 Ski & Snowboard Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:49:16 pm »
With a lot of companies starting to release their new 2016/2017 gear I figured it would be a good time to start up the ski & snowboard thread for this year.

I have decided this year I am going to ride a lot less park and get more into powder/all mountain riding.

I have been doing a lot of research lately into powder specific boards and have decided to go with the Capita Slush Slasher in 147 (always been a HUGE fan of the swallowtail). Now before you go and say that a 147 is WAY too small to ride in powder it has a 28cm width which gives it as much surface area as a normal 160cm powder board which allows it to float very easily on powder but also makes it very easy to control. Plus it will be uckfaying awesome for slashing away in the trees and spring riding. 

https://www.capitasnowboarding.com/snowboards/spring-break-slush-slasher

As for trips I have planned so far I am heading to Big White for the first time for New Years and from what I have heard that mountain will change my life haha.

Then what I am most excited for is Snowbombing at Sun Peaks. It is a HUGE music/snowboard festival in Europe and this will be the first time it comes to Canada. This is not till the beginning of April so I have a while to wait for this one haha.

Then obviously I will be hitting Sunshine/Marmot/Louise once or twice a month all winter long.

Big White is on my list for this winter, likely after Arizona/San Diego for xmas and new years. That festival being in April could be great timing too.

The gf and I plan on getting out quite a bit this year. I think I might buy a new board, I love mine but it's a 154 as a park style board, and I'd like something a little more stable at speed. Thinking of a reverse camber around 159 or so. Probably a Burton with the ICS so I can use my Cartels.

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 Green Forester
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 01:11:35 pm »
Solid choices - Big White is one of my favourites, and the Slush Slasher is such a fun board. Make sure you head over to the West Side of the mountain when you go there, it's usually way quieter and has some insanely fun tree runs.

I'm trying to plan a month trip in January to go around BC and possibly the states. Red Mountain is at the top of my list to go to, and I'll most likely need to drop by Vancouver sometime during the trip as well. I'm planning on sleeping in my car/hostels to minimise cost, so any recommendations on cheap places to stay or go would be most appreciated.

As for gear, I picked up a Capita Tree Hunter over the summer, and will most likely grab a set of Burton Malavitas to go with them. very excited about taking this setup in some deep powder.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 02:24:11 pm »
Solid choices - Big White is one of my favourites, and the Slush Slasher is such a fun board. Make sure you head over to the West Side of the mountain when you go there, it's usually way quieter and has some insanely fun tree runs.

I'm trying to plan a month trip in January to go around BC and possibly the states. Red Mountain is at the top of my list to go to, and I'll most likely need to drop by Vancouver sometime during the trip as well. I'm planning on sleeping in my car/hostels to minimise cost, so any recommendations on cheap places to stay or go would be most appreciated.

As for gear, I picked up a Capita Tree Hunter over the summer, and will most likely grab a set of Burton Malavitas to go with them. very excited about taking this setup in some deep powder.

I rode the Burton Malavitas last year with the wrap around high backs and they were the best binding I have ever ridden. The straps are extremely thick and comfortable and if you decide to go with the wrap round high backs it makes pressing so much easier and makes it easier on your legs when leaning back in powder and what not.

Highly recommend them!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
It snowed in Golden and in Lake Louise yesterday (or the day before... I can't remember).

Winter is coming  ;D

Offline 98GF8Pretty

• Patchy Faced
  • Highway Star!
    • One Soul Thrust
  • Ride: 98 GF8 Paint Code 406,03 GTI 1.8T
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:36 pm »
To anyone here that rides a snowboard..............................gotta get to Baldface
U R A BUS

Offline 540photo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 wrx wagon (sold), 2008 evo x (rip), 2010 sti
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:37:57 pm »
I'm actually thinking of going back to riding this winter.... Since the Ak JJs are written off  :'(
I want to pick up the capita doa

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:17:32 am »
To anyone here that rides a snowboard..............................gotta get to Baldface

That is where Transworld did their powder board testing last year, looks incredible.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 08:57:01 am »
I rode the Burton Malavitas last year with the wrap around high backs and they were the best binding I have ever ridden. The straps are extremely thick and comfortable and if you decide to go with the wrap round high backs it makes pressing so much easier and makes it easier on your legs when leaning back in powder and what not.

Highly recommend them!

Those do look pretty sick, especially in orange. But, are these any better than Cartels? Mine are 5-6 years old but they were one of the best bindings going when I got them, haven't paid attention since.

What I really want are a pair of step in bindings. I'm a Burton orewhay, wish they made some :(.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:38:33 am »
Those do look pretty sick, especially in orange. But, are these any better than Cartels? Mine are 5-6 years old but they were one of the best bindings going when I got them, haven't paid attention since.

What I really want are a pair of step in bindings. I'm a Burton orewhay, wish they made some :(.

These are the first Burton bindings I have ridden so I cannot compare them to any of their other models. I do believe that the Malavitas are the only binding in their lineup that has the wrap round high back which is a HUGE plus. I don't think I will ever ride a binding again without that.

Bindings I have ridden in the past are Union Contacts, Union Contact Pro and Ride Slime something or other and these blow them all out of the water.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 09:37:12 pm »
If you're coming down to Big White, do yourself a favour and take a day trip down to Apex. If I'm around I'll show you all the good stuff. Lots of good trees and more gnarly terrain than you would expect with super steeps and all kinds of cliffs. I'd ride there over Big White any day (though I am a biased).
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 08:17:41 am »
If you're coming down to Big White, do yourself a favour and take a day trip down to Apex. If I'm around I'll show you all the good stuff. Lots of good trees and more gnarly terrain than you would expect with super steeps and all kinds of cliffs. I'd ride there over Big White any day (though I am a biased).

How far from Big White is Apex? We are flying there and our friends are picking us up, so where we go is basically all in their hands haha.

Although I have been snowboarding for 15+ years, most of that time has been spent in the park so I think I will ease into the "super steeps" lol. I will keep this in mind though and throw the idea out to my friends!

The steepest mountain I have ridden would probably be Revelstoke, which was uckfaying incredible.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 08:20:56 am »
How far from Big White is Apex? We are flying there and our friends are picking us up, so where we go is basically all in their hands haha.

Although I have been snowboarding for 15+ years, most of that time has been spent in the park so I think I will ease into the "super steeps" lol. I will keep this in mind though and throw the idea out to my friends!

The steepest mountain I have ridden would probably be Revelstoke, which was uckfaying incredible.

Yeah Apex isn't a huge mountain, but the awesome terrain versus acreage ratio is incredible. It's probably about 1.5 hours from Kelowna. There are some back roads you can take (the 201) that make the trip quite a bit shorter from Big White, but it's all gravel and there's no cell reception most of the way in case you get into trouble.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 02:20:09 pm »
Just ordered my 147 Capita Slush Slasher, should be here early next week. I am very excited to try this board for the first time as I have never ridden anything like it before.

Also, I think I decided on which bindings I am going to pair with this board; Burton Supermission Black & White.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 02:36:44 pm »
Nice!

I kind of want a new board this year, kind of have the money for one, but kind of am saving to travel next summer..... Ohhh decisions.....

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 02:52:45 pm »
When are you heading to Big White? Lot's of good stuff off the Gem Lake chair for tree runs but the snow over there isn't peak form until mid January by my experience. Also, Easter Chutes off the Black Forest chair is great.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 03:34:22 pm »
When are you heading to Big White? Lot's of good stuff off the Gem Lake chair for tree runs but the snow over there isn't peak form until mid January by my experience. Also, Easter Chutes off the Black Forest chair is great.

I will be there for new years so probably from December 29 to January 2nd.

Tree runs are one of the many reason I decided to go with the Slush Slasher over a more typical powder board. Because of the short length it will be much easier to navigate through tight tree runs. Plus I can still rip a few park laps with this and not feel retarded on a 160.

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 12:13:26 pm »
Cant wait for this season to start, for once I'm excited for winter.

Last season was my first season ever snowboarding. I tried it once when I was in grade 9, loved it, but I couldn't afford it.

I picked up a used board/bindings last year, 2009/10 Ride Prophet, Burton Cartel Bindings, and all the necessary gear and headed out to Nakiska for opening day.
Worst idea ever. Icey conditions turned me off immediately.

Then I went to Sunshine.. what a difference  >:D
Only got out around 5 or 6 times throughout the year, but ended up ripping through the Goats Eye Chutes last run of the season and impressing myself and the people I ride with.
Safe to say this year should be a good one! Picked up a new to me, 2014/15 Burton Process Flying V last night in great shape! Can't wait to compare it against my Ride Prophet.

I will most likely be riding Sunshine again this year, but want to plan a Fernie/Panorama trip!
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 01:37:10 pm »
That's awesome, glad you ended up having some fun and decided to keep riding!

I highly recommend riding Fernie. I have only been there once back in like 2008 but it had some of the best conditions I have ever ridden.

Also, I ended up not order the Burton SuperMission bindings. I got a very good deal on a set of Burton Infidels so I went with those instead, plus they are a tad softer which I prefer.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 02:10:52 pm »
I will be there for new years so probably from December 29 to January 2nd.

Tree runs are one of the many reason I decided to go with the Slush Slasher over a more typical powder board. Because of the short length it will be much easier to navigate through tight tree runs. Plus I can still rip a few park laps with this and not feel retarded on a 160.
Ah, nice. As I mentioned, Gem has never been good to me pre-mid January but if it's open, it's worth a try if you've never been. I'd highly recommend Easter Chutes - it's my favorite run on that mountain. You have to hike for about 2 minutes but it's worth it imo.

I will most likely be riding Sunshine again this year, but want to plan a Fernie/Panorama trip!
I prefer Louise for snowboarding as I feel Sunshine has a lot more flats and the time between leaving the city and getting onto the chair isn't much different even though it's further down the highway.

Fernie is my #1 although it's been years since I've been there.

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 01:25:55 pm »
I am looking to hit the mountains this winter, although on 2 planks.  ::)
My work shuts down over the xmas-new years week so I would be down for a day trip or two.
IF anyone is organizing a WSC trip let me know the details!

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 01:36:27 pm »
I am looking to hit the mountains this winter, although on 2 planks. ::)
My work shuts down over the xmas-new years week so I would be down for a day trip or two.
IF anyone is organizing a WSC trip let me know the details!

I've wanted to start skiing for the past 2 or 3 years so bad, I just get nervous about it and never commit lol.

What I need to do is buy some skis, head to the mountains and only bring the skis, no snowboard. That way I force myself to ski and learn, and I bet after one  full day I would be just fine.

I have skied once or twice before at the local hill when I worked there and I could grind rails, 360 jumps and what not but I have a hard time turning and just controlling the skis while riding haha.

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »
I am the opposite from you, I know I'd catch an edge and mash my head in the ground on a board.lol.
Never been good on a skateboard or snowboard but I'm fairly capable at skiing and enjoy hitting some jumps, trails and generally going fast. I'm still like a teenager out there although I fear one day my boldness may catch up to me.
Not too many people I hang around ski/board either because they hate winter or just can't due to bad knee's etc.
Would be awesome to round up a group.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 02:12:39 pm »
I originally learned to ski when I was younger, took lessons for the year but that was it because it was so expensive. Like ten years later I wanted to get back into it, but snowboarding instead, so I bought a buddies gear for cheap and picked it up over back to back 8hr days (painful). This will be my tenth season boarding, and I go a handful, to many times a year, so it's definitely my strength. Although my gf used to ski race and that's her strength (she's picking up boarding though), so I bought some ski boots last year and got an old pair of skis from her and now we do both.

My car is loaded with gear for only 2 people lol. Often we'll ride one in the morning, go down at lunch and change to the other for the afternoon. It's nice skiing all morning, and then putting n snowboard boots for the afternoon. My feet feel amazing over the comparison lol.