Author Topic: 2106/2017 Ski & Snowboard Thread  (Read 20951 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Re: 2106/2017 Ski & Snowboard Thread
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 03:22:37 pm »
Damn, that sounds awesome! That is exactly what I would like to do.

I have been snowboarding since I was 7 so 19 years now and I just need a change for a while haha.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 03:25:30 pm »
I've done both, skiied competitively and snowboarded on the side a few seasons. I feel a lot more freedom skiing and find its a lot easier to get to certain spots.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 02:59:21 pm »
A buddy of mine just moved to an acreage with a nice sized hill in the back. We just started designing/planning a DIY park set up for snowboarding this year. We may even use and old 70cc dirt bike to make a little rope tow.

If we end up getting this all done you can definitely expect a Saturday WSC winter BBQ/riding sesh  >:D

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 03:06:48 pm »
A buddy of mine just moved to an acreage with a nice sized hill in the back. We just started designing/planning a DIY park set up for snowboarding this year. We may even use and old 70cc dirt bike to make a little rope tow.

If we end up getting this all done you can definitely expect a Saturday WSC winter BBQ/riding sesh  >:D

That sounds like loads of fun!

So, for any Calgary folk here, since this is my second season boarding, I'm not the most experienced, but do well enough to get me through the chutes and glades.

I still want to be able to board somewhere easily accessible and cheap.......... NAKISKA..
I am also teaching the girlfriend how to snowboard this year, so I want somewhere that's not going to cost me $80-100 every time I want to go.

I'm thinking of picking up a Nakiska pass to get a lot more riding time in, and easily teach the girlfriend without wasting a whole lot of money.
What are everybodys thoughts on that hill? I've been twice, once in grade 9, once on openening day last year.. it was itshay and only 1 run was open so I don't have a great impression of the hill.

But $299 for a seasons pass, if I can get out every weekend that i'm not going to sunshine or louise, I feel like it will definitely be worth it.. especially if we're supposed to have a pretty intense winter.
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 03:14:46 pm »
I have never ridden Nakiska but for $299 which is only $30 more than a local city hill here in Edmonton I would definitely go for it!

Friends of mine have ridden it quite a bit and say they really like it, plus I am pretty sure they do night riding there which is awesome!

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 03:19:38 pm »
I have never ridden Nakiska but for $299 which is only $30 more than a local city hill here in Edmonton I would definitely go for it!

Friends of mine have ridden it quite a bit and say they really like it, plus I am pretty sure they do night riding there which is awesome!

I can't comment on night riding, but if there is good snow conditions it looks more than decent for a 50 minute drive from my house (NW Calgary).
Even Canada Winsport is $429.99 right now, which is ridiculous..
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 03:44:42 pm »

I'd sooo be down for this.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 04:07:36 pm »
So, for any Calgary folk here, since this is my second season boarding, I'm not the most experienced, but do well enough to get me through the chutes and glades.

I still want to be able to board somewhere easily accessible and cheap.......... NAKISKA..
I am also teaching the girlfriend how to snowboard this year, so I want somewhere that's not going to cost me $80-100 every time I want to go.

I'm thinking of picking up a Nakiska pass to get a lot more riding time in, and easily teach the girlfriend without wasting a whole lot of money.
What are everybodys thoughts on that hill? I've been twice, once in grade 9, once on openening day last year.. it was itshay and only 1 run was open so I don't have a great impression of the hill.

But $299 for a seasons pass, if I can get out every weekend that i'm not going to sunshine or louise, I feel like it will definitely be worth it.. especially if we're supposed to have a pretty intense winter.

I've never been, but my old roommate said it was only good when it pukes snow out there, at which point you'd have a better time at Sunshine or Louise. Take this with a grain of salt as he's a Louise fanboy.

Winsport = C.O.P? Not a bad place for a beginner to learn esp because it's in the city and isn't very difficult. Pricing isn't great for what you get though.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 09:28:37 pm »

Wow, so much jealousy!

$299 for Nakiska is a good deal. My gf and I were talking about it last year but missed the deadline. I've never ridden there, but heard it's good for beginners.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 05:35:27 pm »
Set up the new board yesterday, super excited to ride this thing!!!

Untitled by dylan juneau, on Flickr

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 Green Forester
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 01:18:28 pm »
That sounds like loads of fun!

I've been teaching my girlfriend how to snowboard for the past couple seasons. I will say that you need to have incredible patience and know when to push her, and when to let her pack it in for the day. That being said, it's really fun having a girlfriend who I can board with.

As far as Nakiska goes, it's a great place to learn, and the price is incredibly solid. The transition from the Bunny hill to the bronze chair is perfect for learning, and the new glades on the gold chair are a pretty good time once you're up for it. I will say that my girlfriend didn't really enjoy snowboarding until we went to Sunshine though. The scenery really adds to the experience of it al.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 01:26:03 pm »
Sunshine is decent but kind of sucks if you snowboard, WAY too many flat spots!

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:19 pm »
Sunshine is decent but kind of sucks if you snowboard, WAY too many flat spots!

It's honestly not that bad, I was able to find a good variety of runs to teach on with no flat spots. I might be biased though, as I've had my seasons pass there for the past couple years. I think out of the close 4 (Nakiska, Louise, Norquay, Sunshine) it's the best hill.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 01:34:03 pm »
It's honestly not that bad, I was able to find a good variety of runs to teach on with no flat spots. I might be biased though, as I've had my seasons pass there for the past couple years. I think out of the close 4 (Nakiska, Louise, Norquay, Sunshine) it's the best hill.

I agree. I wax my own board, and I know the flat spots, so I can usually tuck and get through them. I like Sunshine WAY more than Louise. I really dislike Louise tbh. I've never experienced good snow conditions there. It's always either icy, or slushy, or just not enough snow.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 02:01:18 pm »
LOL okay, let me rephrase what I said.

Sunshine would be an annoying mountain for someone to learn on because of the flat spots etc.

I do agree that it is much better than Louise. After riding Whistler last year everything seems ittshay now haha.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 02:07:44 pm »
A few years ago, I went snowboarding something like 24 times one winter. My daughter is 2 years old now and since she was born I think I've gone 3 times. Hoping I can get out at least 5 days or so this winter.

Copy and paste for next spring's 2017 autocross discussion.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 02:15:39 pm »
LOL okay, let me rephrase what I said.

Sunshine would be an annoying mountain for someone to learn on because of the flat spots etc.

I second this statement. However, if I knew the mountain better, I assume that would change.

I agree. I wax my own board, and I know the flat spots, so I can usually tuck and get through them. I like Sunshine WAY more than Louise. I really dislike Louise tbh. I've never experienced good snow conditions there. It's always either icy, or slushy, or just not enough snow.

I've always had better conditions at Louise and prefer it to Sunshine. I find it has steeper terrain, better trees and has more terrain that doesn't funnel into crowded areas.  Again, if I knew the mountain better, that might change.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 04:00:24 pm »
That's fair, being a new boarder would suck at Sunshine. Or not knowing where to keep your speed. I do find the tree runs better there than Louise, but maybe I just don't know where to go there. It is steeper, but it's so much further than Sunshine, you might as well just go to Kicking Horse if you want that.

I road Panorama for the first time last year and enjoyed it. Fernie is usually good too.

I really want to get to Whistler, but it's so far and expensive that it likely won't be this year. This year, the new places I want and plan to get to are Whitefish, Revelstoke and Big White.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14:13 pm »
So far my plans for 2016 consist of heading to Whistler for a couple of days after exams are done in mid-december. Then on the way back I will most likely stop in Revelstoke and meet up with some friends for a day or two of riding there. Other than that, I will see where plans take me.

I am very excited to get back on the snow though... I was watching a handful of my videos that I previously made last night, and I got the itch....

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »
It is steeper, but it's so much further than Sunshine, you might as well just go to Kicking Horse if you want that.

This year, the new places I want and plan to get to are Whitefish, Revelstoke and Big White.

It is further distance, but time-wise its not much longer - 20 min tops. Louise is right off the highway where sunshine is a decent ways off on a slow road and parking there is brutal if they have the patrols out. Golden is another hour + from Louise.

Revy and biggy are two of my favourite mountains, I highly recommend both

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2016, 06:20:07 pm »
I've heard BW is fantastic. Some have told me the snow is better than Whistler. It's been on my list for a few years along with Revy and a few others. Downside to Revy it hotels there are so damn expensive.

I'm still throwing around the idea of getting a new board. Ebay used to be awesome for getting new decks for dirt cheap that were a year or two "old", but the deals aren't as good with the weak CAD.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2016, 10:07:42 pm »
Ended up booking a whistler trip just now. Looks like i'll be in Vancouver Area from the 16th to the 21st.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2016, 11:01:57 pm »
I've heard BW is fantastic. Some have told me the snow is better than Whistler. It's been on my list for a few years along with Revy and a few others. Downside to Revy it hotels there are so damn expensive.

I've heard it's the difference in snow. Big white tends to be drier compared to whis. The biggest problem with biggy is that it's usually pretty flat light or minimal visibility.
 Revy for a couple days is awesome. the mountain is right by the town so if you can find a cheap motel its totally worth it

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 08:50:51 am »

I'm still throwing around the idea of getting a new board. Ebay used to be awesome for getting new decks for dirt cheap that were a year or two "old", but the deals aren't as good with the weak CAD.

What are you looking for? The shop I work at still has a ton of sale boards from last season.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2016, 09:09:59 am »
Which shop are you at?

I would definitely take a look at The Source out in Calgary, they have insane sales on all last years hardgoods. I believe snowboards, boots, bindings and outerwear are all 40% off. The Source is where I get all of my gear.