Author Topic: Car Caught On FIRE Today  (Read 11263 times)

WRXH5

Car Caught On FIRE Today
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:50:17 pm »
So I posted before with the same problem "oil leak" not to long ago about my 08 wrx.

Took it in to Subaru of Saskatoon to get it looked at and they told me that I didn't put a new washer on the drain plug, so thats where a litre of oil went. and they changed my oil cap, dispit my concerns that it was a little more serious than that

This was less than a week ago. today I smelt the same oil burning smell so I went home to check it. Popped the hood and just touched the dip stick and it shot up oil like crazy and thus started on fire when it hit the engine. I pushed it out of the garage and smothered it with snow but it took a while to stop.

I'm gonna get it towed to the shop tonight. Is there anyone that has had experience with this kind of situation (dealing with the dealer)
I want some compensation for this craziness. 

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
Re: Car Caught On FIRE Today
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:06:16 pm »
Holy shite man I hope you are alright!  I really don't have any advice but to say stick to your guns and don't let up until you get everything you deserve....which includes a rental or something along those lines.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »
Wow. Ya, hope you are alright.
Same deal here, never had an experience like that, but something obviously went askew if oil was shooting out the dipstick valve.

Stick to it. Hopefully they don't give you too much trouble.

Offline LIGHTSPD

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
    • http://www.Lightspeedinnovations.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:26:24 pm »
Not cool but it sounds to me like a PCV valve was frozen off. This causes a build up of pressure in the crankcase and would do exactly what you mentioned. I hope everything wokrs out for you on this.
LIGHTSPEED INNOVATIONS INNOVATION NOT IMITATION

2009 STI 13.2 @105 mph stock intake-stock exhaust-stock turbo
COBB PROTUNING-CUSTOM BUILDS-BALANCED & BLUEPRINTED MOTORS-AWD DYNOTUNING-WHITELINE WAREHOUSE-FULL AFTERMARKET PARTS
WWW.LIGHTSPEEDINNOVATIONS.COM            RED DEER, ALBERTA,         403-346-7960

patriki

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 11:56:10 pm »
Eh glad it didn't end up like my 07 impreza did in the summer...

I didn't get a penny out of Subaru for that one. In fact I lost more than my mind wants to believe I did.

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:48:49 am »
WTF?  Glad you're okay and glad the car is good.

Offline cornisha

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 06 STI with a little bit of this and that
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 12:54:59 pm »
Not cool but it sounds to me like a PCV valve was frozen off. This causes a build up of pressure in the crankcase and would do exactly what you mentioned. I hope everything wokrs out for you on this.

You mentioned that to me also Cam. If that is the case, what would be the fix? If i put more oil in will that just burn also. Replace PCV Valve?
I have no idea where this valve is  :D

WRXH5

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:21 pm »
I'm going to have to go through insurance to fix this one, the car was in the shop for the same problem just 5 days prior and they sent me off without fixing the problem.
But with it being just after the holidays I'm going to be waiting for a while, but on the plus side, they must feel bad because they are going to give me a loner car on wed.
Jim

P.S. for all you other 08 WRX owners that don't already know, there is a recall for the turbo. I bought the car used so I wasn't sent the recall letter. But I would think if I had brought it in, in Nov with engine problems they would have checked to see if there were any recalls!
Oh well, I call negligence

Offline icenemesis

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
    • Black Atlas Creative
  • Ride: '04 WRB STi
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 07:46:14 pm »
Sometimes stuff slips through the cracks.

ittshay to hear though! Hope all works out well and hope to see ya on the Stoon streets again soon!
Brandon Mack
Black Atlas Creative
blackatlascreative.com
www.twitter.com/blackatlas
www.instagram.com/blackatlascreative

Offline Sherminator

• Patchy Faced
  • Tuscany NW Calgary
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 06:53:19 am »
Sounds like a PCV valve froze shut/seized blocking all crankcase gases from getting out thus forcing oil out any orifice possible and probably burning some of it by pushing it past the rings.
Do you guys still have that cold weather there?

WRXH5

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »
Must have froze shut, I keep it inside most of the time but I was coming home from work when it happened. The weather is getting a bit better, record lows though, with -25 for half the month.
SGI is busy but I think I might get in this week.
Cheers, thanks for the replys
Jim

Offline darrenbt

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Cayenne Turbo
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 11:19:49 pm »
That's a scary situation to be in. Props for getting it outside and putting the fire out before you lost your garage too!!!

Offline DubyaRX

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Take off your pants and jacket.
  • Ride: WRB Airboyed '08 Sedan, Sunset Yellow '08 BMW F800S, 2011 Crystal WhiteTriumph Tiger
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 12:48:06 am »
I'm going to have to go through insurance to fix this one, the car was in the shop for the same problem just 5 days prior and they sent me off without fixing the problem.
But with it being just after the holidays I'm going to be waiting for a while, but on the plus side, they must feel bad because they are going to give me a loner car on wed.
Jim

P.S. for all you other 08 WRX owners that don't already know, there is a recall for the turbo. I bought the car used so I wasn't sent the recall letter. But I would think if I had brought it in, in Nov with engine problems they would have checked to see if there were any recalls!
Oh well, I call negligence

When did the recall go out? Can I just bring my car to a dealership to have it corrected or do you need a letter from Subaru? I bought mine from the U.S., so I wonder if I need a letter from S.O.A..... What was the problem with the turbo?
No, Bubba, it doesn't have a Hemi.

WRXH5

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:47:23 am »
i don't think you need the letter, call Subaru of America and get the recall #. when i had one from the states i had to pay upfront for warranty and then submit for a refund from the u.s. might be the same for the recall. or they might just do it.
Jim

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 02:21:03 pm »
had the same issue a while back with my old Volvo 740 turbo. The PCV was clogged and I had a whole lot of pressure build up. Oil started coming out the top while I was driving down from Ft Mac to Edmonton and as i pulled in to a Crappy Tire, it caught fire. Luckily, my passenger ran into the store, grabbed a fire extinguisher off the wall and ran back to the car. No major damage except for some wiring with the Volvo dealer was able to fix pretty quickly.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

WRXH5

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 03:36:19 pm »
Subaru kept telling me that they couldn't do anything until my insurance looked it over.
So I went to my appointment with insurance and they told me they can't inspect the car because the engine bay is full of snow and they couldn't see anything. God forbid they use that large heated garage and possibly some warm water to assist the process of melting.
So off it went to Subaru of Saskatoon where it will sit for an unknown amount of time.

What kind of damage can a blocked PCV do to an engine? Are there certain tests I should ask Subaru to run?

Down time - 1 week and counting

Offline LIGHTSPD

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
    • http://www.Lightspeedinnovations.com
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 04:00:18 pm »
Blocked PCV at worst will push a seal or two out and put extra oil into your intercooler  and pipes. Not going to hure the engine at all.
LIGHTSPEED INNOVATIONS INNOVATION NOT IMITATION

2009 STI 13.2 @105 mph stock intake-stock exhaust-stock turbo
COBB PROTUNING-CUSTOM BUILDS-BALANCED & BLUEPRINTED MOTORS-AWD DYNOTUNING-WHITELINE WAREHOUSE-FULL AFTERMARKET PARTS
WWW.LIGHTSPEEDINNOVATIONS.COM            RED DEER, ALBERTA,         403-346-7960

Offline cornisha

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 06 STI with a little bit of this and that
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 08:28:02 pm »
All I have to say is that sucks man. As you may know my PCV valve froze but I never got the fire thank god. I just sent a lot of oil out my exhaust and into my intercooler. Went for a rip today and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Going to drive to work tomorrow(with some extra on hand just incase).

I hope you get this sorted out and they do something for you

WRXH5

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 05:33:45 pm »
So now Subaru won't do anything till their Western Canadian representative comes in to look things over. Do you think I'll get some attention now?

Offline SulfurLad

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • now, 20% more!
    • Azzurriffopubijix
  • Ride: 08 WRB STI + many bicycles
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 05:46:08 pm »
Geez dude, that's nuts!   :-\  I'd say you have their attention, let's hope they follow through for you.
throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty

WRXH5

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »
Subaru's rep came to look at the car and said the fix was to put a guard on the intercooler to prevent air from passing through and hitting the PCV. and this should fix my problem.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 03:56:45 pm »
Subaru's rep came to look at the car and said the fix was to put a guard on the intercooler to prevent air from passing through and hitting the PCV. and this should fix my problem.

Uhm.... what sort of "guard" are we talking about?
To prevent air from passing through the intercooler?
Is this not what the intercooler was DESIGNED for?

I'll admit I'm scared of this happening to me as well, but I'm not about to BLOCK airflow from cooling the air cooled intercooler.

Offline icenemesis

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
    • Black Atlas Creative
  • Ride: '04 WRB STi
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 04:20:46 pm »
I read that as sealing the intercooler better when the hood closes.

Good luck with everything.
Brandon Mack
Black Atlas Creative
blackatlascreative.com
www.twitter.com/blackatlas
www.instagram.com/blackatlascreative

WRXH5

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 10:03:47 am »
I read that as sealing the intercooler better when the hood closes.

Good luck with everything.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 10:22:46 am »
Nemesis is saying that they are going to reduce the amount of air that is blowing on your engine and redirect it all onto your intercooler, thereby making it more efficient and eliminating your original problem.