Author Topic: Can someone please help me uninstall a sub and amp?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline gogo7890

• Stubbly Faced
Can someone please help me uninstall a sub and amp?
« on: January 08, 2017, 06:58:53 pm »
Hi guys,

So I recently purchased a 2009 STi and it came with some fast and furious looking audio system... I bought the hatchback to actually use the trunk so I am removing the sub and amp.

I've done some of the work and all that's left is following and disconnecting the wires. This is where I'm stuck. I'm not too familiar with the interior so I am running into issues.

Can someone please help me uninstall the sub and amp?

Thanks!

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
Re: Can someone please help me uninstall a sub and amp?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:52:07 pm »
I don't see why it wouldn't hurt just to properly shield end end of each wire, then stuff them under the carpet.  That way you or the next owner has an easy way of hooking up a sub and amp in the future.

Sorry if this doesn't help. It's' probably what I would do. Other than that, uninstalling should really be as simple as disconnecting all the cables and pulling them out from under the carpeting. Is it a stock or aftermarket deck?

Offline gogo7890

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:29:26 pm »
I don't see why it wouldn't hurt just to properly shield end end of each wire, then stuff them under the carpet.  That way you or the next owner has an easy way of hooking up a sub and amp in the future.

Sorry if this doesn't help. It's' probably what I would do. Other than that, uninstalling should really be as simple as disconnecting all the cables and pulling them out from under the carpeting. Is it a stock or aftermarket deck?

I'm trying to sell the stereo system. It's an aftermarket deck. Yeah the issue is that I've pulled the wires up till the deck and after that I can't seem to pull out the wires near the glove box area.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:11 am »
the PO may have zip-tied them under the dash so that nothing came loose.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline gogo7890

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:09:14 pm »
I've managed to uninstall everything but now my stock speakers don't work.

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 03:29:16 pm »
Fire me a PM. Might be able to help.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:38:49 am »
I've managed to uninstall everything but now my stock speakers don't work.

If the speakers were hooked up to an aftermarket amp, you'll likely need to rewire them to the factory harness, if you're going back to the factory stereo that is.

Offline gogo7890

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:44 pm »
If the speakers were hooked up to an aftermarket amp, you'll likely need to rewire them to the factory harness, if you're going back to the factory stereo that is.

Factory harness is wired in and still no sound. I just wanna listen to some music feelsbadman  :'(

Offline drewfuspx

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • "Is it supposed to sound like that?"
  • Ride: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Ltd w/ M
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:46:44 pm »
Factory harness is wired in and still no sound. I just wanna listen to some music feelsbadman  :'(

How many amps in the car. If one was hooked to sub and another powering the speakers then you'll have to ensure speaker wires get reconnected as well since he would have run them to the second amp not the deck.

Or another easy way to check, how many sets of rca jacks were plugged into the back of deck??
I broke it.  Just like how I'm going to break you

a piece of bread for dinner.  Want to come over? 

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 07:46:49 am »
Which speaker wires are connected right now to your door speakers? Did you remove the speakers and switch the wires back over to the factory speaker wires in the door? If so check the continuity between the speaker wire in the door and the harness going into the head unit.

There might also be settings in the headunit menu as to where the headunit is sending the audio signal, it might still only been sending the signal through the rca's.

Offline gogo7890

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 10:43:47 am »
Which speaker wires are connected right now to your door speakers? Did you remove the speakers and switch the wires back over to the factory speaker wires in the door? If so check the continuity between the speaker wire in the door and the harness going into the head unit.

There might also be settings in the headunit menu as to where the headunit is sending the audio signal, it might still only been sending the signal through the rca's.

The harness going into the head unit matches the factory wires. Nope no settings that let me change the audio signal