Author Topic: A,B,C Pillars Paint?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Chase_Schrader

• Stubbly Faced
    • Personal Page
  • Ride: 2004 USDM STi & 2004 Forester XS
A,B,C Pillars Paint?
« on: March 23, 2017, 07:43:53 pm »
In the next month, I am redoing my headliner, and I want to black out the plastic on the pillars and clips. What do you guys recommend for paint?? I was thinking plasti-dip or bumper paint. Hoping to match the dash as close a possible. Not sure if this is the proper place to put this thread.

2004 STi - Project Daily

|| Channel || Instagram || Website || Build Log||

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Re: A,B,C Pillars Paint?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:56:31 am »
I would stay away from plasti dip, it has a very cheap looking finish.

When I was looking into this I was told by many people to go with Krylon For Plastic paint. Or you can go to an automotive store and pick up some interior trim specific paint.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 08:00:16 am »
I would stay away from plasti dip. Any bump and you'll be re dipping the pillars.

You will NEED an adhesive promoter as well. Plastic has a coating that prevents mold and this makes it a itchbay to paint proper

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:16:15 am »
I would stay away from plasti dip. Any bump and you'll be re dipping the pillars.

You will NEED an adhesive promoter as well. Plastic has a coating that prevents mold and this makes it a itchbay to paint proper

Ah yes, I forgot about this. Definitely need that as well!

Offline Stig

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 DGM Wrx STI
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 09:14:18 am »
I just did my shifter trim bezel and stereo bezel with rubber removable paint. I think its similar to plasti-dip. I bought a can at Canadian tire, i believe it was called "project Dip"? ( I will double check later)

It was super easy to use. I removed and washed the plastic pieces with dish soap to remove any oils. Also rubbed quickly with alcohol to make sure surfaces were super clean. This paint does not require priming. Has a rubber texture when finished. I thought it turned out really well.

How well the coating bonds all comes down to the way it is applied. I did around 8 very light coats. First 3 coats were still transparent.
The surfaces i painted were smooth so this probably helped. I cant speak for how it would stick to textured plastic but it seems pretty durable so far. I also wanted something removable incase i didnt like it.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:33:21 am »
I painted all my pillars with duplicolor's trim paint. It's designed for exterior trim such as bumpers and edging, so it has adhesion promoters built into it. Layers on easily. I did all my pillars, dash trim, shifter trim, pretty much any part of my interior that was plastic and wasn't black. I had my car for 3+ years and it looked great.

EDIT: Alternate option, I have blacked out A-B-C pillars, sun visors, center visor, map light with tinted film over it, that all come with a Spec-C roof vent kit for sale in my part-out thread. Save your self some work and get a cool assay roof vent.

Offline Chase_Schrader

• Stubbly Faced
    • Personal Page
  • Ride: 2004 USDM STi & 2004 Forester XS
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:48:59 pm »
I painted all my pillars with duplicolor's trim paint. It's designed for exterior trim such as bumpers and edging, so it has adhesion promoters built into it. Layers on easily. I did all my pillars, dash trim, shifter trim, pretty much any part of my interior that was plastic and wasn't black. I had my car for 3+ years and it looked great.

EDIT: Alternate option, I have blacked out A-B-C pillars, sun visors, center visor, map light with tinted film over it, that all come with a Spec-C roof vent kit for sale in my part-out thread. Save your self some work and get a cool assay roof vent.

That roof vent is super tempting..... But I will try first with the duplicolor's trim paint and see how it turns out!
2004 STi - Project Daily

|| Channel || Instagram || Website || Build Log||

Offline Flex

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 DGM STi
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:46:45 am »
I used the Krylon on the A pillar in my 06 WRX. Just cleaned it up with alcohol and sprayed it. It was 8 years after I did it that I sold the car and still looked perfect.