Author Topic: What is a good all season tire option?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
What is a good all season tire option?
« on: May 18, 2018, 05:10:17 pm »
As the title says, I am in search of a good all season tire in 225/45r18. I had a set of Nokian WR2 and there performed awesome until both fronts developed buldges in the side wall from hitting an average size pot hole at limited speed. They have updated to Nokian WR3, but there is no mention of the side walls being ‘better’.

Anything else that people on here are running and like? Anything that I should absolutely avoid? I know that there is hate for all seasons, but I put 80% km in the summer so I don’t think it would be worth getting summers and winters and swapping every season.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
Re: What is a good all season tire option?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 06:12:23 pm »
If you intend to drive in the winter in Alberta and not change tires I think the WR3's are going to be the only half decent choice I can think of imo.

Most all season tires are 3 season afterall, I don't mind all seasons to run later and earlier into the spring and fall respectively so I'm not screwed if it snows but I'd never run them year round. Imo just get a second cheap set of wheels so you don't need to go to a tire shop and just get proper winter's.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:59:04 pm »
Fair enough, I do like the idea of have 2 sets of wheels and tires. The issue Honestly is I MIGHT put 500-1000km on the car between November and April. I do need a car that can drive for just in case purpose, which is the Dilemma, but I doubt it will ever see a heavy snow fall or extreme cold.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:34 pm »
I same-day drove my STI with Hakka R2, and my mom's Focus on Goodyear Assurance TripleTread. They were impressively capable. I was actually a little upset that I had just dropped almost a grand on winter tires.

TripleTreads are being replaced by the WeatherReady.
https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Goodyear/Assurance+WeatherReady/767906537

It's an option. The TripleTreads were stiff.

Also, remember, all seasons are very underwhelming on dry compared to a performance summer tire.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 12:27:01 am »
Continental DWS.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:04:36 am »
The Conti DWS06's are reasonable in light snow, same with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s  That said, the Conti slightly edges out the Michelin.

Some people have apparently good reviews on the Cooper RS3-G1's as well for light snow, but not sure how they stack up to the Conti and Michelin.

DaDuke99

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:43:35 pm »
+1 for Continental DWS06,  I picked up a set for the sti this year. I do enough gravel/mud driving to justify an all season tire.. the super sports were garbage in that respect.
That being said, if you had PSS's on your sti, you'll find that these don't hold nearly as well in tight cornering. They're not terrible, but it's something I've missed around town.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:02:56 pm »
To my surprise it came with winter tires on the wheels it came with! The summer wheels I bought only had camber wear, and the forester sits flat. I should be good for tires until next spring.

Thanks all

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 09:18:37 am »
Nokian now has WRG4s, improved treading, for both winter driving and hydroplaning and 5k more tread life guarantee than wrg3.  I have them on the Forester, this will be the 1st time we won’t be runner true winter tires so we’ll see how they are this winter.   Just an FYI, if you bought your wr2s at Kal Tire, you might be eligible for a discount towards new tires from your road hazard warranty. It might not be a lot but every bit helps.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi