Author Topic: What is there to do in Vancouver?  (Read 11125 times)

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
What is there to do in Vancouver?
« on: May 12, 2009, 10:33:14 am »
So at the start of June I will be in Vancouver for my Uncles wedding and I am staying a few extra days after.  I have been to Vancouver many times before but this is the first time I will be there by myself.

I will be visiting the Aquarium, doing a few all you can eat sushi ;) and possibly the science center.  I am also tempted in a short hop over to Seattle for the outlet mall and SGP to pick up a few goodies for the car.

But where else do you locals suggest I should visit?

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '13 Focus ST, '92 Jeep Renegade
Re: Places to visit in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:43:55 am »
Capelano suspension bridge is cool
Granville Island if you like beer and kind of a farmers markety/shop atmosphere.
Steveston is a nice place to chill out on the beach if the weather is nice.
Wreck Beach is a nude beach if you are a perve. (UBC campus is a nice place to hang out anyways)
Kitsalano is a nice beach/higher end area.

Umm You should definitly go to East Hastings. At night. By yourself.

Offline dekay

• Patchy Faced
  • 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, Cosworth EJ257
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:58:37 am »
Capelano suspension bridge is cool
Granville Island if you like beer and kind of a farmers markety/shop atmosphere.
Steveston is a nice place to chill out on the beach if the weather is nice.
Wreck Beach is a nude beach if you are a perve. (UBC campus is a nice place to hang out anyways)
Kitsalano is a nice beach/higher end area.

Go to "The cage" in East Hastings at night. Very interesting...

Wreck beach is not 100% nude and can be tons of fun. People sell cold beers on the beach, makes for a great day out.

+1 walking around Granville Island.

If you want to get a bit out of Vancouver, try going to White Rock, about an hour away. Small little seaside village.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:59:11 am »

LOL my sisters friend who was doing some church work saw a dead hooker there before.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 12:20:07 pm »
Was she still warm? If she was dead and cold, that's a tragedy, if she was dead and warm, that's an opportunity.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:20:45 pm »
West Hastings, check out the new amsterdam cafe.  To the right of it, there's a little entrance.  Go up the stairs to the black door and knock twice.

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • I'm not negative, I'm realistic!
  • Ride: 2016 CWP STi
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:44 pm »
Was she still warm? If she was dead and cold, that's a tragedy, if she was dead and warm, that's an opportunity.

Nick! Not funny!

Offline Craig D

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza 2.5RS
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 12:42:16 pm »
In North Van you could either take the Grouse Grind up to the top of Grouse mountain for some beautiful views, or take the gondola to the top. Either way, there are some great views and food and beer up there. Do you have plans for all you can eat? I recommend Shabusen on South Granville or downtown as well as Tomakazu on Broadway near the Toys r us.

I am going back at the end of the month and I can't wait.

Cheers,

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:46:59 pm »
No idea on the Sushi, it all depends on which part of town I am in when I get hungry.  I will be staying in either Burnaby or Coqulaum.  I like the idea of Grouse mountain, I totally forgot about that place, it will give my camera a good workout :).

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 01:02:15 pm »
Our favorites for sushi:

AYCE Sushi at Ebei
Kaide Sushi Bar on Richard Street

When we (the wife and I) go, it always ends up as an eatfest..  each of us gaining 2-3 lbs is not uncommon on our trips out to Vancouver.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Chad

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ford Flex "AWD", Miss my Subie
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 01:05:23 pm »
Steveston used to have the best Fish & Chips if that is your thing.
Old Nick: Takemetoothemoon

Sean

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 01:07:50 pm »
There's a place on Broadway called Tomo that has awesome Sushi too. I can't remember exactly where though (I've been to Van only once and for only a weekend - can't wait to go back!!)

Offline Bruiser

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 07 Sienna Limited AWD
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 01:08:20 pm »
A great sushi (and seafood in general) place is The Sandbar on Granville Island.  Must go!

Sean

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 01:10:00 pm »
Haha this thread is making me hungry....

and longing to skate around the seawall again :)

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:18:19 pm »

Nick! Not funny!

I just had to, I'm sitting bored at work and I saw the chance to make a dead hooker joke.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline SulfurLad

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • now, 20% more!
    • Azzurriffopubijix
  • Ride: 08 WRB STI + many bicycles
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 01:19:44 pm »
- my wife had no idea what E Hastings was about before we went through there.  Dang, shocking for her.  :)
- Dr. Sun Yat Sen botanical gardens are nice.
- 3rd vote for Steveston; great place for a sunset and fish and chips on the pier.  Sunset, e.g.:

- hadden park (where the science center is) is also nice for sunsets, great views. e.g.,

- sea to sky highway is a nice drive, head for squamish to see "The Chief".  Head to Whistler to check that out.  Golf at Furry Creek if you want to get your butt kicked by mother nature.
- Don't bother with the Capilano suspension bridge, it's a bit of a cooked tourist trap.  To get the same effect and not get ripped off (imo, yes, bitter), go to Lynn Canyon.

Granville is also very nice, we rented kayaks and paddled around stanley park and back (beware tidal currents):
throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty

Sean

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 01:19:47 pm »
Nick! Not funny!
I just had to, I'm sitting bored at work and I saw the chance to make a dead hooker joke.

...and I laughed so hard!!

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 01:20:30 pm »
Thanks for the Ideas and suggestions on Sushi places :).  Is Steveston near Richmond?

Offline Bruiser

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 07 Sienna Limited AWD
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 01:39:05 pm »
- Don't bother with the Capilano suspension bridge, it's a bit of a cooked tourist trap.  To get the same effect and not get ripped off (imo, yes, bitter), go to Lynn Canyon.

+1 to Lynn Canyon. My grand-parents lived in NVan in the 70s/80s and I used to go there every weekend from Victoria.  Too bad about the rain otherwise I'd consider moving there.  However, as I write this, it is absolutely teeming with rain here.  ::)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 01:47:57 pm »
Yay! Vancouver! Man I miss living there. I lived at UBC, in Kits and in East Van over 6 years.

Shabusan Sushi has gone downhill in the last few years. There was an ownership change and its not the best place anymore. My fav is Kadoya on Davie near Burrard. I can't go to Vancouver without going there at least 3 times. Not all you can eat, but its cheaper and better :)

Check out:
- Granville Island Market and wander around the shops.
- If its a nice day, walk down Davie from Burrard until you hit Denman. Then head to the seawall. Turn right and walk along the sea wall until you get to Stanley Park.
- If you're into shopping, hit up Robson and marvel at the number of Starbucks.
- In Kits, 4th Ave is awesome and then a couple blocks down the hill you can hit either Kits Beach or Jericho Beach. If you head closer to UBC along 4th, you can head down Blanca and hit up Spanish Banks, which eventually turns into Wreck Beach (yes, its a nude beach, and yes, you'll see the odd slamming hot girl completely naked selling mushrooms, but mostly you'll see old happy dudes). Spanish Banks is great during the summer cause theres always car shows on the weekend.
- If you want to nerd out a bit, check out Science World.

If you're looking for night life, check out the Blarney Stone, the Bourbon (be careful of drunk natives wanting to fight!), and the Cambie is a great bar/hostel. Also, on Granville, near Robson, right next to the CD store (you'll know it when you see it) is a Tapas Bar that is great for chilling and they're open LATE (5am if you're nice to them).

Finally: Check out Commercial Drive. Skytrain to Commercial Station and walk along The Drive. Its awesome. So much more culture than anywhere else in Vancouver (which is saying a lot!) and theres lots of cool shops and coffee shops.

Umm... ill probably have more suggestions later... but that's it for now.

Edit:

More suggestions!
Take the drive up to Whistler!
Hike up the Grouse Grind!
Lynn Canyon is incredible

If you're into a fancier dinner with friends, check out Kobe on Alberni? (one street North of Robson, West of Burrard). Incredible service - its one of those places where you sit surrounding the japanese chef who prepares everything in front of you.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Sinz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2012 JKR
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 08:06:41 am »

Nick! Not funny!

I applaude you sir!
There's no stopping the Frito Bandito

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 12:20:12 pm »
Zaider, SulfurLad, you guys make me want to skip school and go explore my city all over again!

Lots of great ideas here :)

To these I will add: Crescent Beach as well as White Rock Beach because where White Rock has the board walk and trendy little shops, Crescent Beach has three restaurants, and a lovely long gravel walk around the point where you can take in the whole sunset. White Rock Beach view is lovely, but the sunset gets cut off by the tip of Mud Bay.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline MartinC

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Legacy GTB, 2005 Legacy GT Wagon
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 01:48:16 pm »
Dales Alignment and Brake in Surrey/Langley!  Get yourself and your subie a Whiteline treat to remember your trip by!

:D

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '13 Focus ST, '92 Jeep Renegade
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 02:12:33 pm »
Hmmm come to think of it, I am getting married in August on Pender Island. I should stop by and get a few things installed on the wagon while I am there.  8)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:42 pm »
Hmmm come to think of it, I am getting married in August on Pender Island. I should stop by and get a few things installed on the wagon while I am there.  8)

aww man. i love Pender. my folks used to have a cabin on Magic Lake.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence