Author Topic: Official WSC Olympics Thread  (Read 21787 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Re: Official WSC Olympics Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 12:24:39 pm »
SWEEET. My gf and I just booked super cheap tickets to Vancouver. Saturday night to Tuesday night... $209 return via Air Canada. Have friend's places to crash... now i just need to stomach the ticket cost for some events.... but even if i dont see anything, im freaking stoked!!

It's a zoo over here right now.

No really, there are giraffes and elephants walking down Robson.

Thats not a very nice way to talk about Africans (giraffes) and Americans (elephants)....
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 03:49:49 pm »
SWEEET. My gf and I just booked super cheap tickets to Vancouver. Saturday night to Tuesday night... $209 return via Air Canada. Have friend's places to crash... now i just need to stomach the ticket cost for some events.... but even if i dont see anything, im freaking stoked!!

It's a zoo over here right now.

No really, there are giraffes and elephants walking down Robson.

Thats not a very nice way to talk about Africans (giraffes) and Americans (elephants)....

Haha, Africans at the Winter Olympics??
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 04:03:39 pm »
Orly?

Yarly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Winter_Olympics#Participating_teams

From what I can see, Ethiopia has 1 athlete entered, as does Senegal, Morocco, Algeria, and Ghana and South Africa has 2.   Kenya participated in previous Olympics, but are not part of Vancouver 2010.  Not bad for a tropical/arid continent eh?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 04:11:18 pm »
I'm looking forward to Stephen Colbert's NBC coverage of the men's 1000m speed skating.
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 04:14:05 pm »
Wooo!!! Canada just won another GOLD MEDAL!

Maelle Ricker in Women's Snowboard Cross!

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/snowboarding/story/2010/02/16/spo-weather-wom-snowboard-cross.html
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 04:16:39 pm »
Schweet!

All but one of them have come from Cypress!
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Craig D

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza 2.5RS
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 04:22:03 pm »
Wooo!!! Canada just won another GOLD MEDAL!

Maelle Ricker in Women's Snowboard Cross!

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/snowboarding/story/2010/02/16/spo-weather-wom-snowboard-cross.html

NICE!!! Sweet redemption for her. Thanks for keeping us posted. I can't wait to get home and watch.  ;D

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 04:36:05 pm »

Hey!  there WAS one Jamaican.. If he can make it...  :o

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:35 pm »
awesome news on the gold!  I was just watching the USA/SUI game.  I sooooo wanted SUI to win, but.. alas: they lost.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 04:38:43 pm »

The Jamaicans also had a bobsled team but they didn't make it through qualifying...

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 05:12:44 pm »
Does It Snow In Africa? 

My son recently asked me if it ever snows in Africa. His eyes rolled as I once again babbled on about the fact that there are 52 countries in Africa, each with its distinct geographic features affecting weather patterns, so let's not use the blanket term "Africa". "Yes, I know" he said, "but does it snow?".

The answer is "yes, it does". In fact there are even a few small ski resorts in Morocco, courtesy of the Atlas Mountains. Tunisia and Algeria got snow-laden a few years ago during a particularly cold winter. Snow even fell in the Sahara desert in 1979, but it lasted just half an hour.

Heading further south, snow does fall (on higher elevations), even close to the equator. Regular snow fall has created ice-capped peaks (although most are fast disappearing) on Kenya's Mount Kenya, Tanzania's Mount Kilimanjaro; Uganda's Rwenzori Mountains and Ethiopia's Semien Mountains. But it's not enough to ski. For that, you have to head all the way south.

South Africans can actually build snowmen somewhat regularly during the winter months (June - August) especially those living in the inland regions of the Eastern and Northern Cape provinces. Sutherland is considered to be the coldest town in South Africa with temperatures going well below freezing throughout the winter. There's a ski resort in the Drakensberg mountains, called Tiffindell
but a snow maker is essential to make it through the season. Despite its wonderful penguin population, it very rarely snows in Cape Town.

And the chilliest country in Africa? The tiny kingdom of Lesotho. It's in the mountains and it has the highest low point of any country in the world (wrap your mind around that one, son). There are a few pistes here and the skiing isn't so bad in the Maluti Mountains.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 05:15:30 pm »

The Jamaicans also had a bobsled team but they didn't make it through qualifying...

African countries represented:

Ghana
Kenya
Morocco
Ethiopia
RSA
Senegal
Algeria

I'm sure most of the athletes are dual citizens that haven't spent much time in their "home country".

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 10:15:44 pm »
Yay, Canada just destroyed Norway!(as if there was any doubt) Iggy gets a hatrick! I was stoked to see Babcock putting Iginla on the top line with Crosby and Nash. They seemed to start to develope some chemistry together.

I'm gonna stay up and watch Russia merch the Latvias.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 01:41:39 am »
i will bet at the game at noon tomorrow. good times.

i might even try to talk jutes into going for diner later in the day since i will be downtown again
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 08:37:30 am »
I wasnt impressed with Team Canada in the 1st period.. and even the 2nd period.  They picked it up in the 3rd (regardless of scoring structure) which was nice.

I was kind of worried after the 1st period: The US Team was blazing around the ice earlier in the day and compared to that team, it looked like i was watching the Oilers during that 1st period of the Can/Nor game.

Thankfully it picked up.  *phew*

Keep it up boys! GO CANADIA!

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 09:15:04 am »
I wasnt impressed with Team Canada in the 1st period.. and even the 2nd period.  They picked it up in the 3rd (regardless of scoring structure) which was nice.

I was kind of worried after the 1st period: The US Team was blazing around the ice earlier in the day and compared to that team, it looked like i was watching the Oilers during that 1st period of the Can/Nor game.

Thankfully it picked up.  *phew*

Keep it up boys! GO CANADIA!

Really? I thought the second period was very promising for a team that had one practice and then had to take to the ice. Of course during the first period they were going to have problems meshing together, but I saw real difference during the second and then in the third it was all Canada. Luongo played stellar when he had to (wasn't really challenged) and kept his focus. Now its up to Brodeur to shut out the swiss to get the start vs the USA. I think, without that, Luongo will get the start.

The comparison to Team USA isn't a good one. Team Canada is made up of superstars who are used to being the number one (or number 2) guy on their team. To go to being just one of many extremely talented players is quite the switch for many of them. Team USA isn't built like that, they went with more role players who are used to having to help their team through tough spots and its a totally different mentality.

Team Canada treated the game yesterday as a practice, used the first period to sort out systems and lines, the second to get used to who they were playing with and the third was the result of all of it.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 10:22:52 am »
regardless of what the team was designed to do functionally, the players on team USA seemed to put forth a lot more effort; They came out blazing from the moment their skates hit the ice.  Team Canada didn't get their skating legs until the 3rd, imo.  Like i said in my previous post, while watching team Canada i felt like i was watching an oilers game for the 1st and most of the 2nd.

I guess the take away here is that Canada DID pick it up in the 3rd and I'm now excited again and cant wait for the next game. 

Im also pretty pumped for the woman's game tonight: the Swedes are going DOWN!

DOUBLE GOLD IN OLYMPIC HOCKEY 2010! *cheers*

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 10:39:41 am »
sigh. you're comparing apples to oranges... but ok. yes. we can agree that the 3rd was Canada's best period.

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 05:03:20 pm »
  I wasn't too imprested with the Americans in their first game.  I even watched the first period again this morning to see what you were talking about. While they carried some speed from the get go, but their supposed to. They are a young team and speed is their #1 weapon. Miller didn't look good on the Swiss goal.

I thought the Swiss took to the play to them physically throughout the game. Their lack of offense lead to their demise. They'll be a better test for Canada.

I agree with Z that Canada played quite well in the second period. Considering that they killed off 48 sec of 5 on 3 and 3 other power plays, still scored 3 goals.

P.S Never compare team Canada to the Oilers again!

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 01:08:54 am »
i'm with these guys, a slow start was somewhere expected for the first game. there was a bunch of line juggling going one. but things seem set now. they played great in the second killing off all those penalties all the while throwing a few in the net.

also finland vs balarus was a fun game. i also went to sweden vs germany. also a fun game. i thought sweden would score more. maybe germany has a better team then in the past? the sedins were kept off the score sheet though. so i expect they will put up some numbers
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 03:32:58 pm »
Christine Nesbitt takes home the GOLD in 1000m Long Track Speed Skating! Kristina Groves finishes 4th!

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 04:01:03 pm »
women's 1000m sweep for my country!

That's right suckers! I'm all international that way!

!

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2010, 04:19:04 pm »
women's 1000m sweep for my country!

That's right suckers! I'm all international that way!

!

only when it suits you...

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2010, 04:28:03 pm »
only when it suits you...

Nope, I'm ethnic all the time.

I only bring it up when it suits me.  Ain't being ethnic great!

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 05:19:33 pm »
Ethnically white? 

;)