Author Topic: The Coffee/Tea thread  (Read 12794 times)

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: The Coffee/Tea thread
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2008, 11:49:24 am »
LOL @ step 5 that is awesome! nah sounds like diffrent stuff though, really prob the same crap diffrent foil though

Offline turbobaby

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2007 WRX STi
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2008, 06:44:01 pm »
Quote from: "Flex"
Quote from: "turbobaby"
starbucks blends are too strong tasting. on days when i really just get it for the caffiene, i dump into my cup almost the entire shaker of the vanillla flavouring (when no one's looking) with loads of cream and sugar

Thats a huge misconception about caffeine content in coffee. The darker roast coffees actually have less caffeine in them as the roasting process takes it out. The flavored coffees actually have the most caffeine as they are roasted the least of the beans. The flavored coffees even have more caffeine in them then the expresso, the expresso just tastes stronger as it is more concentrated.

<gasp>... that means they lied! the reason i  get the regular stuff whenever i needed a caffiene kick is  because according to their "Nutrition by the Cup" brochure, it contains at lesat 400mg of caffeine vs alll the flavoured coffees which contain between 150-200mg (in terms of the Tall size). so i downed al that gross coffee for nothing. how misleading :P

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2008, 11:21:46 pm »
yeah i have heard that somewhere else. the more they roast it the more caffeine they burn out of it or something
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline MF DOOM

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 12:32:19 am »
You know who has great tasting coffee? Good Earth! I also love Cafe Beano, its the best coffee shop in Calgary IMO, you can always see my WRX parked in the loading zone behind the store, lol.

Tim Hortons is the worst, I think people are idiots for lining up for that crap. People even get road rage (parking lot rage?) waiting in line when someone cuts in from the other direction. The Tims on Country Hills Blvd by the SDM and Sobeys is the worst for this...

Offline MF DOOM

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2008, 12:34:01 am »
A great place for Tea that I highly recommend is OOlong Tea House in Kensington. They have 100's of teas and there is a great atmosphere inside the place.

At home I always have Tetleys Vanilla Earl Grey...

Offline kermit

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2009, 01:11:37 pm »
Anyone ever try Cafe Rossa here in Calgary.  One of those hidden gems in my opinion.  Great coffee (espresso), tea, baked goods and atmosphere.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2009, 11:40:56 am »
So I suddenly have an urge to drive to California for a cup of coffee... Who's up for a cruise?

boiboi9

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »
A great place for Tea that I highly recommend is OOlong Tea House in Kensington. They have 100's of teas and there is a great atmosphere inside the place.

At home I always have Tetleys Vanilla Earl Grey...

+1 for oolong!

I have a friend who works their, ask for anna-lee, she is hot, and makes a killer tea!

stefan

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 06:30:27 am »
Resurrecting an old topic! Wouldn't want to have to make the mods delete one ;)

What's everyone drinking for coffee these days?

I'm rocking the CCC-XXX from Crickle Creek at the moment.. pretty good! I'm using a Bodum press at work.  Saving up for a Rancilio Silvia for home as well.

Had a discussion with LDS on the BBM group (aka rip of each other all day group) about coffee (and how a double double isn't really coffee).. made me think of this image from Digg:

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2010, 07:07:50 am »
You mean on BBM?

And yes, I like my Timmies.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

stefan

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2010, 07:26:24 am »
Yep and obviously I hadn't had my coffee at the moment yet :P

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2010, 08:04:48 am »
Right now I'm enjoying a cup of Kicking Horse Pacific Pipeline. Probably one of my favorite roasts. Mmmmm.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Grasp

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Soren
  • Ride: All Toyota, All the time haha! 1990s Hiace Van, Crown Athlete with 1J! and Altezza
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2010, 08:30:14 am »
I personally think the best coffee I've had in Edmonton is at Langano Skies on Whyte and about 100th.  Ethiopian restaurant, and man the coffee is sooooo goood.  heartily recommended.  I used to work at second cup, and have to be really honest, it was about 12 years ago, and I'm still quite impressed at the training that they go through.  The knowledge of good coffee, and the processes behind it is really important to them, so if I was to choose an outlet, it'd be second cup fo sho.  I still miss barista'ing :(  Flex - maybe you could give me a refresher, and let me guest for a night!  I used to be the king of foam...

but that was a long time ago!   ^-^

If I'm buying to make at home, I have to say, I really like this place in the Highlands, 111th and about 62nd st called Catfish roasters.
Right is tight. Come Check out the Import-Era
http://import-era.com

stefan

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2010, 08:54:08 am »
^ Whats your brewing weapon of choice at home now?

In Calgary it's all about Bumpy's, Phil & Sebastian, and Cafe Artigiano.  Killer espressos.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2010, 08:56:42 am »

In Calgary it's all about Bumpy's, Phil & Sebastian, and Cafe Artigiano.  Killer espressos.

Kawa is great too! And have an awesome selection of obscure beers. Their cafe should be on "the list" of a true coffee lover.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

stefan

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 09:06:24 am »
Never heard of it.. I'll have to check it out this weekend.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2010, 09:26:39 am »
My favorite espressos sadly cannot be had locally (in Edmonton).

Peets and Artigiano.

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Grasp

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Soren
  • Ride: All Toyota, All the time haha! 1990s Hiace Van, Crown Athlete with 1J! and Altezza
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2010, 09:33:31 am »

well, I wish I had a weapon of choice.  I did have a cheap Krups or something like that, but nothing worth talking about.. oh, and it's busted :(.  I only have a cheap coffee maker like everyone else :(
Right is tight. Come Check out the Import-Era
http://import-era.com

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49:38 am »
My life changed after I was given my keurig machine and drink any of their dark coffees from Timothy to green mountain to vanhoutten.
As far as bean we discovered a "more than fair trade" coffee from Thailand that is available at Costco, cant remember or been pronounce it but it's great and cheap $16 for a 2lb bag.

Also my weapon of choice has been cappuccino from second cup lately. Deadly and not to much caffeine. 

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2010, 01:31:42 pm »
...and Cafe Artigiano.  Killer espressos.

My favorite espressos sadly cannot be had locally (in Edmonton).

Peets and Artigiano.

A class parent gave me a bag of Italian Organic from Artigiano's ... and dammit! Now I can't drink anything else.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

stefan

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 01:42:35 pm »
I'm down whenever during work to meet up at Cafe Artigiano for a coffee!

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2010, 02:00:27 pm »
I'm down whenever during work to meet up at Cafe Artigiano for a coffee!

Great!  My usual one is here. See you there! ;)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

stefan

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2010, 02:27:45 pm »
Great!  My usual one is here. See you there! ;)
Oh cool that isn't too far from my usual location

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2010, 05:53:10 pm »
If we're at our respective favourite locations at the same time, does it count as a "meet"? :)
~ Calvin ~