Author Topic: Hello from Madagascar - Errr...Ethiopia...Canada...56k, no f'in way  (Read 16940 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Re: Hello from Madagascar - Errr...Ethiopia...Canada on Nov 6th
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2010, 10:11:08 am »
Sweet man. Have a safe trip home!

How long are you going to be back for?
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Wronks

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '13 STi
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2010, 06:26:37 pm »
Have a safe trip home. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Always interesting, and I enjoy your writing.
Wronks - Have fun out there.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2010, 09:55:18 pm »
Thanks again wronks, this is the closest thing to a journal I've had in my life.

Zaider...I never really know, I think I'll elect to stay home for at least 3 months.  I think I may have built myself another niche where I can do shorter trips a few times a year rather than long stretches all at once.  Such a dynamic industry though, it could all change tomorrow.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2010, 11:40:54 pm »
Tried a little bit of Injera yesterday, nasty, vile stuff.  Much more sour and acidic than sour dough and has a micro foam like texture. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injera

Today will be spent hoping like hell we can get the customs paperwork taken care of, otherwise I'll have to stay another 3 or 4 days since SFA happens on the weekend.  My gf will be doubly disappointment since she has a work function on Saturday and would like for her coworkers to meet me; they're starting to doubt I actually exist.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2010, 08:18:10 am »
Tried a little bit of Injera yesterday, nasty, vile stuff.  Much more sour and acidic than sour dough and has a micro foam like texture. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injera

I really like the injera that I get at the ethiopian restaurant in Calgary.... yeah its a bit sour, but delicious... especially with meat on it.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2010, 12:44:06 am »
I'm in Frankfurt waiting for my flight to Calgary.  I feel like Apu Nahasapeemapetilon when he felt like a hummingbird after a marathon shift.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2010, 10:47:45 am »
Quote from: mudferret

Yeah, so I missed out on all the fun, a couple of the guys still over there went camping a couple of weeks ago.  The lava was overflowing the edge of the larger caldera, i.e. you couldn't stand where we slept since you'd be standing in lava.  They almost got arrested since there were tourists who were jealous of where they were and the local militia got pissed.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2010, 08:36:32 am »
Might be headed back! 

Client will likely be requiring a weather station set up.  The last weather station set up in the area (1950's) recorded 10 consecutive years where the daily average temperature was 40C, one of the reasons why it's known as The Hottest Place on Earth, and The Gateway To Hell.  Has been up into the high 50's earlier this year, possibly into 60's on the salt flats.  Unfortunately there is no official record of this.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2011, 02:30:53 pm »
Departing for Addis Ababa on the 18th via London, arriving in Addis on the 20th.  Should be baking in 50C+ temps on the 22nd.  My last pair of sandals succumbed to the heat within a day or two, so that's on my shopping list.  I'll be taking my better camera this time, so hopefully I have time to get some decent shots.  Another camping trip to the volcano would be nice, but doubtful.  I'll do my best to make it to the hot (acid) springs at Dallol Mountain.  Spectacular colours, and a pH of zero.  No swimming...

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
I can't even imagine such heat. Blech.

What happens if you swim in a pH of zero? Zombie flesh?
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
I can't even imagine such heat. Blech.

What happens if you swim in a pH of zero? Zombie flesh?

It's cliche, but it's a "dry heat".  The hottest day I saw there last fall was 48, and it wasn't that bad, just have to be smart.  An awesome benefit of the altitude there (250 below ASL) is that the air is so thick that sun screen is optional.  I'd drink 5-7 L of water a day and that wasn't enough. 

Not sure what a pH of zero would actually do to skin; it would likely be extremely uncomfortable and given enough time you'd turn to soup.  I'm not 100% on the type of acid either, likely sulphuric, but if it's hydrofluoric it doesn't take much for a untreatable death sentence. 

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
See you all soon, will be airborne in a few hours.  Flying through London, but I just noticed I have a 10 hour layover, FML.  Same layover if I would've flown through Frankfurt as well, don't remember this length of time from my last trip.  I hope to be able to post a pic of a thermometer pegged at 50C, and then compare it to the weather station I'll be setting up. 

Would be an awesome spot for a top speed run, salt flats, check, 100 m below sea level and air so thick you can see it, check, car camel, check.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Stay safe! (post often!) :)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Look forward to the photo diary!
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
Have a great trip man. Looking forward to following your journey :)
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Have a great trip man. Looking forward to following your journey :)

Don't have much yet, I can tell you that British donuts are awful, picture a Tim Horton's 2 day old donut with no flavour.  Only 9 more hours to go on my layover, yay.

Offline skylineguv

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Forum turncoat
  • Ride: '15 Macan Turbo - Jet Black
Layover at Terminal 3 in Heathrow? Couldn't pay me enough to spend that long sat there (in one continuous stint anyway). Should've jumped on the Heathrow Express and headed into the city. 10 hrs plane to plane would've been time enough to see something worthwhile.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
skylineguv, I thought about it, but I was so thoroughly exhausted that I didn't have the energy to explore.  I should have gotten a hotel room for a few hours. 

I'm at the project site now, it's 45C in the shade when I checked at 11am, might breach 50C by 1pm, hottest time of the day here.  I was working out in the sun this morning, and the heat crept up on me, I was drinking fluids non stop, but it wasn't enough.  Setting up a tripod for the weather station (simple task) has turned into a chore, the heat has completely tapped my ability to function on a basic level.  There's also a language barrier between myself and the Afari helpers; they're a very primitive tribe and hand tools appear a little like voodoo to them.

A siesta is a must here so I'll rest for a bit, re-hydrate, and tackle the project again at 3 pm.  The secondary evaporation weather station is going to be a biatch; it will be on the salt pan where the ground is hot because of volcanic activity, the sun reflects off the white ground surface, and it's 250 m below sea level.  I wouldn't doubt that it's 60C+ out there right now.  There's a reason why this area is called The Gateway to Hell.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
So I ended up getting heat stroke that day.  Even my Afari helper got heat stroke, so I don't feel like too much of a sissy.  The main station was finally commissioned this morning (had been fully constructed for a few days but had to wait for someone to help me calibrate the wind sensor).  Was disappointed to note that the temp at the station was 38.9C while the thermometer at camp was reporting 43C.  Mind you this was at 8:30 am, so we'll see what the discrepancy is at other times during the day.

In other news, this part of the World is falling apart, Sudan to the west, tensions escalating with Eritrea (5km to the north), Libya, Egypt, etc...  Security is now higher on the agenda.  Our site security adviser is a retired British SAS, military attache to Russia at one point, heavily involved in IRA counter intelligence, Iraq and Falklands veteran.  I've recommended Kalashnikov's for all site staff, not so much for security but to celebrate soccer wins, birthdays, etc...  O0

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Plenty of cool pics to post, but the satellite internet here is awful.  Any attempt to upload a pic is hopeless.

Did see some extremely cool itshay today however.   Drove out to Mt Dallol to see the sulpher springs.  A totally surreal environment.  If you do a Google image search for Mt Dallol you'll see exactly what I saw today.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Plenty of cool pics to post, but the satellite internet here is awful.  Any attempt to upload a pic is hopeless.

Did see some extremely cool itshay today however.   Drove out to Mt Dallol to see the sulpher springs.  A totally surreal environment.  If you do a Google image search for Mt Dallol you'll see exactly what I saw today.

This place looks incredible.

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
helloooooo Acid Trip

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Looks like Salvador Dali artwork.  Sulphur springs = stinky?
~ Calvin ~

Offline DubyaRX

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Take off your pants and jacket.
  • Ride: WRB Airboyed '08 Sedan, Sunset Yellow '08 BMW F800S, 2011 Crystal WhiteTriumph Tiger
That looks like the primordial ooze from which early life crawled lol.
No, Bubba, it doesn't have a Hemi.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
It was plenty stinky alright.  The colours are phenomenal.  There was an active sulpher mine adjacent to the springs in the 1950's through 60's.  The wreckages of all the equipment is slowly rusting away to nothing.  A lot of the buildings were made from bricks of salt and they're slowly dissolving during the rainy season.  I'll upload pics when I get home, I wasn't able to find any of the ruins on the intarweb.  No trace of real rock on Mt Dallol, it's all just various types of salt.