Author Topic: The rare... the red... Loch Ness WReX -> EJ207 V7 swap  (Read 72663 times)

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
The rare... the red... Loch Ness WReX -> EJ207 V7 swap
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:47:53 am »
My 2004 Red WRX Wagon:

The day I bought this little beast. The rare, the red... Loch Ness Wrex.

Whats been done:

Exterior:
Rally mud flaps: Rally Armour U/R mud flaps
STI hood scoop carbon fibre vinyl wrapped

Interior:

Stereo: Upgrade stereo (Audison Amp + 2 Focal speakers)(Thanks Teknique Auto Innovations for the great work) (Done Sept 2010)

Floor mats: Weathertech - Love these and highly recommend them.
Shift Knob: NRG Ball Type Style - Titanium ball style Type-R

Performance:

Tuning:
Airboy Stage 2 tune - Temp tune. Full tune still to be done

Full turbo back exhaust : Stage 2 baby!!
MadDad Whisper 3" Catback Single Tip
Invidia Catted Divorced Downpipe

Drivetrain:
EJ207 V7 engine with 70k kms

Fueling:
Deatchwerks Fuel Pump

Bushings:
Shifter Bushings - Kartboy Front and Rear
TiC Clunk Killer (Comfort) -> Rear diff + outrigger bushings
Group N Transmission Mount
Group N Engine Mount 
TiC transmission crossmember bushings
Kartboy Engine Pitch Stop Mount

Suspension:
Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks
KYB ExcelG Struts
Whitleine Front Sway Bar 22mm
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar 24mm
Group N Front Strut top mounts

Brakes:
Techna-Fit Stainless Braided Brake Lines
StopTech Street Performance Pads
StopTech Cryo-Stop Rotors

Rims and tires
O.Z. Ultraleggeras Gold 17x8 +48 5x100 w/ 225/45r17 Hankook v12
Stock WRX rims -> 16 x 6.5 with Bridgestone RE-92's

Future Mods...
Gauges:   AEM Boost+Oil pressure and AFR Gauges in ATI clock pod

Suspension:
Struts
Coilovers? Thinking of going with ST coilovers. Maybe summer of 2015

Future mods:
Meth + 20g type turbo
Maybe Ill settle with the 1.5xtr Dom. Who knows. Got lots of time to think about it.

Apart from my little wish/Mod list, here's all the "preventative maintenance" that has been done to the car:

Sept 2008 - Engine #1 -> kablouiiiii @ 98 k kms - Excessive Rod Knock
Previous owner supplied Shortblock - Engine #2 -> faulty engine / possibly faulty install -> engine lasts only 400 kms

Oct 2008 - Subaru Canada supplied Shortblock - Engine #3 - Installed in Oct 2008

July 2009 - New Battery (120$), 02 sensor (500$)

Aug 2009 - Rear Differential blows up in 32 different pieces. ($2,929 done at Subaru City! Yes, you read right, 2,929!!!)
Car ran good for about 8 months until one day in April on a cold start, the idling was jumping around between 400 to 3200 rpm. Went to the dealer to fix as I had NO idea how to fix this. Dealership charges me $1,094.34 for a Tumble Generator Position Sensor - whatever that is.

May 2010 - Timing belt, tensioners and related pulleys

Nov 2010 - Engine #3 develops a major oil leak and after replacing EVERY seal and gasket, it is discovered that the mechanic/grease monkey screwed up during the installation of crankshaft pulley (it was not tightened at the right specs which cracked the shortblock due to crankshaft wobble = engine kablouiiiii
Subaru Canada supplied Shortblock - Engine #4 - engine changed at 136 000 kms. Currently sitting at 150 k kms and counting. YAY!!
..... please don't blow up!!!

EDIT: Just rolled over 175k kms. Engine still running strong. Engine oil analysis came back looking VERY healthy. Inspected my TD04 turbo while doing my stage two install and there is zero shaft play, turbo looks very healthy. Guess this is good news... :D ??? :( but I'm not going to lie, was kinda hoping it was on its last leg  >:D. Would have been easier to convince the gf for a turbo upgrade (VF43, VF34 or HTA 68).
EDIT#2: Just rolled over the 185k mark. Almost put 50k kms on the new engine and she is still running strong! Yippiiiieee
EDIT #3: Just rolled over 215k kms!!! Still runnning smooooothhhhhh
EDIT #4: Auto-x then boom. uckfay ME. Dead engine / rod knock at 216k kms. Engine #4 lasted 80 k kms.
EDIT#5: Installed EJ207 V7 engine in July 2014 with 70k kms on the engine. Body has 216k kms.

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Yvan's WRX Wagon (Budget Project)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:12 pm »
sweet! should be an awesome wagon!
2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline teg_09

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2010 TL SH-AWD
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 04:45:56 pm »
I still need to see this wagon! Have you decided what brand of exhaust components to go with? Also liking your rim choices ;)

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 04:51:54 pm »
At least one of us have gotten around to making a build thread. lol
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:05 pm »
sweet! should be an awesome wagon!

The bulk of the goodies should be purchased and or installed next summer. Running low on funds. he he

I still need to see this wagon! Have you decided what brand of exhaust components to go with? Also liking your rim choices ;)

Next time I have time for a wing night, ill let you know and we can meet up! Id love to see your car as well!
I think I will just stick with a simple Cobb turboback.
And for my rims, argh, Im having such a hard time making up my mind. Too many options. Im sitting on it until Im 100% sure of what I want.

At least one of us have gotten around to making a build thread. lol

Get er done!! ha ha. Cant wait to start working on my car rather than on yours. ha ha. Just kidding. I love to practice on yours! ;)

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:23:58 am »
Argh. Car is being parked for a while. Engine #3 is "capute" due to dealership not putting the Crankshaft pulley on right (apparently put it on too far or something) when I got them to replace my camshaft seal and timing belt. Engine #4 is going in. Im pretty sure warranty will cover it since it was their mistake!!!

EDIT: Dealership just called. The good news is, the Short Block will be replaced on warranty. Bad news, I wont have a vehicle for 2 to 3 weeks. They can only give me a rental for 1 week.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:26:00 pm »
Wow dude, there are some unlucky WRX wagons round these parts.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Loch Ness WRX Wagon (Budget Project)
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:03:11 pm »
Update:

My "mod budget" got completely exhausted due to ....
+ New Short Block (car runs like new now )
+ New Clutch (car shifts beautifuly now)
+ Re-surfaced front brakes (resurfaced rather than replace to save $$. Saving up for some DBA rotors)

Guess some of my mods will be pushed back to next summer. :(

Im starting to get the mod itch reeaal bad. I cant wait be able to put some goodies on the wagon.

But everything considered, im just happy to have my car back. The dealership held her for almost 4 full weeks. arghhh

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 03:07:28 pm »
congrats on having you car back, How does it feel?
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram

Cardinal

Re: Loch Ness WRX Wagon (Budget Project)
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 03:41:25 pm »
Good to hear it's back! As for choosing summer tires, I'm running the 760's and I am VERY impressed with them!

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Loch Ness Red WRX Wagon (Budget Project)
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 03:46:57 pm »
Good to hear it's back! As for choosing summer tires, I'm running the 760's and I am VERY impressed with them!

Glad to hear as I was/am seriously interested in them. Where did you get them from, tirerack??

congrats on having you car back, How does it feel?

The car runs better than when I initially purchased it when it had 98 k kms. Im now sitting at around 140 k kms and with the added new clutch, she's a beauty. Plus, itll be nice not to have to bum rides from you to got o WSC meets,  ::) hahaha. thanks again for that.

Cardinal

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 04:00:09 pm »
I picked them up from Trai Tire In sherwood park for $1190 If I recall correct? but those are 245/45/18

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »
At this point in my build, I was hoping to have:

Full Turbo Back Exhaust (Cobb SS 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust)
Stage two tune by airboy

With one of the below rims (I cant make up my mind):

From Tirerack
O.Z. Alleggerita HLT - 17 x 7.5 (100 x 5)(tire to match 225/45-17 )
O.Z. Crono HT - 17 x 8 (100 x 5)(tire to match 225/45-17 )
O.Z. Ultraleggera - 17 x 8 (100 x 5)(tire to match 225/45-17 )
Enkei Racing RP03 - 17 x 8 (100 x 5)(tire to match 225/45-17 )
Enkei Performance Imola - 17 x 7.5 (100 x 5) (tire to match 225/45-17 )
From 1010 tires
Konig Feather -Gold or Black - 17 x 7.5 (100 x 5)
Tenzo R DC-6 - Bronze - 17 x 7.5 (100 x 5)

With some Bridgestone RE760 Sport tires.

BUT, in the last year, Ive had to replace the following:

Battery
O2 Sensor
Rear Diff
Tumble Generator Position Sensor
Cam Shaft Seals + T Belt Tensioner as well as numerous other belts, seals, gaskets.
Timing Belt
New Short Block
New Clutch

Therefore, this build thread has been pretty stagnant. Do not fret... I have big plans for next summer... if the funds permit. :)
Ill keep you guys posted.

Until then, any suggestions on which rims would look good on a wagon? Any input will be greatly appreciated. There are too many options in this world. he he

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 04:19:42 pm »
Until then, any suggestions on which rims would look good on a wagon? Any input will be greatly appreciated. There are too many options in this world. he he

Out of the choices you list above I'd say either the Tenzo's or the OZ Ultraleggera.

EDIT: I just realized I had both those wheels on my Mazdaspeed 3.......ha!
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 09:56:49 am »
Picked up some Weathertech floor liners recently and absolutely love them!! Great purchase.

On another note, I was looking at my nice little budget for my exhaust and Rim/Tire project I had in mind for this summer. Was looking at all the different types of Turboback exhausts as well as what rims and performance tires would look best on a red wagon.

Was thinking of going with:
MadDad Whisper 3" Catback Single Tip
MadDad Metal V2 Catted Downpipe
For exhaust.

And for rims and tires:
Tenzo R DC-6 - Bronze - 17 x 7.5
OR
OZ Ultraleggera
matched with -> Bridgestone RE760 Sport

Then got a call from my brother in South America inviting me to join him and decided I was sick of work and could go for a couple of months off. That being said, Im off to South America on April 13th until end of may/early june. :)

Guess my mods will have to wait a little longer. :(

See you all in a couple of months!!

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:52:33 am »
Well, Im back from my vacation in South America. Couple of months there did me good.  Now that Im back at work and pinching pennies again, I thought id revisit my mod plans.

This just in, just ordered:
Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings
TiC Clunk Killer (Comfort)
TiC transmission crossmember bushings

Cant wait to install these. My drivetrain is so loosy goosy that I think these will help a lot. Any thoughts, suggestions.
Shopped a little around and settled to buy from Touge Tunning.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:18 am »
Well, I got my bushings in the mail yesterday and immediately went out to my garage and started installing them. I was so excited that when I googled the instuctions, I only read the first part and decided I would figure the rest out. Typical male syndrome eh!  :-[. Turns out that was a bad idea. lol

So I decided I would start with my front and rear shifter bushings and then would tackle my Transmission crossmember bushings.

The front bushings were easier than I thought and only took 20 minutes (including jacking up the car). Then I put it back together  and realised I forgot the rear bushing.  Result of me doing something too fast as I wanted to get as many thigns done so I could go for a cruise.

I started taking everything back apart and got the old squichy POS rear stay bushing out with a little stuggle but nothing out of the ordinary for a part thats been in use for 150 k kms. But I struggled for hours, yes, you heard me , almost a full 2 HOURS to get the new one back in. I was too stuborn and lazy to take my midpipe off and the room to wiggle the shaft into my kartboy bushing was frustrating. I now understand what snakers meant in his write ups about flying wrenches and having to close teh garage door to protect innocent children's ears. :) Finally I got a little mad and gave it a little force and wham, everything lined up and fit perfectly. Turns out all it needed was a little brut force. Note to self, dont be afraid to use force!!! I was wasting soo much time trying to be careful not to wreck anything.

Now, as embarrassing as it is to admit it took me over 2 hours to do something that should not have taken more than 1, this ate my time up and was not able to install my x-member bushing. But maybe for the best. This enabled me to take the car out for a rip and analyze this new part I've installed seperately,a nd might do teh same on the other bushings and analyse their individual results.

First impressions of the shifter bushings... I feel a slight change. To be honest, I dont really know what I was expecting, but it is not as pronounced of a change as I was expecting. That is what happens when you are new to the bushing replacment world. All in all, the shifting seems more tight, you really feel .... tightness when you are shifting. As if it feels like the gears are engaging securely. Its hard to explain. I think this was a good $60 spent.

Edit: Found the words to describe what the shifter bushings do -> The shifter feels so much more precise and confident. Pulled it from IWSTI

Next week I will install my Klunk Killer (which I think will be the best bang for your buck. I am really excited to see the results).

I will also install my Transmission crossmember bushing.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 10:48:54 am »
Cool to hear that the bushings alone make a difference.  Most people don't get a chance to see since they just underhand them all in at once. ;)

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 11:02:13 am »
Today I am also going to check out a FS ad for a set of rims: -> http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=24230.0

Ive always wanted to find a set of cheap rims that could be repaired so I could potentially paint them white. I really like teh white on red. I think it will look good on my red wagon.

That being said, I will check them out tonite. They are Rota Tarmac 2's. Might even buy them tonite.  ;D

Anyone have any input or concerns with these rims???

Offline The G.O.A.T.

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2007 crystal grey metalic 2.5i se
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 11:11:37 am »
Good luck. It looks like you are not afraid to do a lot of recurch before purchasing parts. That is a good thing.
"I hate my life"... But wait, it gets better.

Got a nod from a dude with a fantastic moustache in a Grey Wagon/Black or CF hood turning onto Shawinigan Dr  this evening. Courtesy of Way-Do

Ummm, wasn't the whole point of the WRX supposed to be an AWD car that would perform well on narrow, twisty dirt/gravel/snowy/paved roads? Seems like the problem isn't with the WRX, it's with idiots using them to race Mustangs between traffic lights.

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 11:31:28 am »
I started taking everything back apart and got the old squichy POS rear stay bushing out with a little stuggle but nothing out of the ordinary for a part thats been in use for 150 k kms. But I struggled for hours, yes, you heard me , almost a full 2 HOURS to get the new one back in. I was too stuborn and lazy to take my midpipe off and the room to wiggle the shaft into my kartboy bushing was frustrating.

haha it took me quite a long time to install the rear shifter bushing too, i didnt take off the midpipe, but i think what did it for me was disconnecting the shifter from the linkage, and it went in after a bit of forcing.

i installed all these bushings on my car a couple years ago and i find it does help a bit with to decrease the "rubbery" feeling. The rear diff bushings in the clunk killer kit i believe helped the most, the whole car just feels better when you accelerate. Mine were the solid race ones, which added some cabin noise but worth it in my opinion

2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 11:35:29 am »
The rear diff bushings in the clunk killer kit i believe helped the most, the whole car just feels better when you accelerate. Mine were the solid race ones, which added some cabin noise but worth it in my opinion

Yeah, that was what I was hoping to hear. The slop in the driveline has been driving me up the wall lately, and I really hope that the Klunk Killer fixes a bit of the slop. I opted for the "Comfort" package rather than the Race. Hope I dont regret it. Nonetheless, it cant be worse than OEM. :)

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 10:01:14 am »
Today I am also going to check out a FS ad for a set of rims: -> http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=24230.0

Ive always been wanting to find a set of cheap rims that could be repaired so I could potentially paint them white. I really like the white on red. I think it will look good on my red wagon.

That being said, I will check them out tonite. They are Rota Tarmac 2's. Might even buy them tonite.  ;D

Anyone have any input or concerns with these rims???

So I decided against buying the Rota Tarmac 2's. Thanks again to Julian for letting me look at them yesterday.

I was hoping to pick up a cheap pair of "nice" rims that would be a nice little winter project for me. The ones above would be a great pick but when I stopped and did the math, I realised that the costs of repairing two rims (around 150 each), then get all 4 of them painted would exceed the value of the actual rims. I can buy new Rota Tarmacs in white right from the factory for less. Therefore, I politely said no thank you and went on my merry way.

After further reflection on what kind of rims I wanted, I decided to stick with my gut and will look to buy some O.Z. Ultraleggera - 17 x 8 in gold.

Will buy them next spring just in time for the summer.

And finally, I think I will use my 16" stockers for a project when the rubber is done and will sand and paint them white to use as winters.

Gold rims in the summer, and white during the winter.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 09:57:38 pm »
So I had a good and bad day today installing my Klunk Killer as well as my transmission crossmember bushings.

The Klunk killer - part 1 - Rear diff bushings - it was a fairly easy install. I had one bolt that was fairly seized up and took a long time to take off. But apart from that it was good. Install time was 1.5 to 2 hours. I took it out for a spin to see the effects and wow, should have done this a long time ago. The slop in the drivetrain has been driving me nuts and this bushing alone settled a good chunk of it.

Klunk killer - part 2 - Outrigger bushings - This install was super easy and really only took 10 to 15 minutes per side. This bushing in combination with the rear diff bushing rid of the majority of my wagon's drivetrain slop. This is not to say it is completely gone, but the swinging motion of the drivetrain when accelerating and decelerating effect is drastically decreased.

So that part of the install went really well.

I ran into a few hiccups for my transmission crossmember bushings. The rear bushing went well. The front posed a big problem. The transmission mount studs were so rusted and seized that with very little force, I managed somehow to break both of them off. Ive never done this in my life and was left speechless. :'(

Needless to say, Group-N transmission mounts will be on order.  ;D
And since I am ordering the trans mount I figured I should also order whiteline 22mm front and rear swaybars.

Hope that the install of the trans mount goes better than my day today.

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2003 S2000, 1998 Civic
Loch Ness Red WRX Wagon (Budget Project)
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 10:16:11 pm »
I loved how much the clunking was gone after I put my klunk killer in too!

After further reflection on what kind of rims I wanted, I decided to stick with my gut and will look to buy some O.Z. Ultraleggera - 17 x 8 in gold.

We could start a gold Ultraleggeras on wagons group, haha.

Sent from my iSheep using Tapatlak

Birds Hit: 4