Author Topic: No more 94 Octane?  (Read 11443 times)

Offline SilverRex

• Stubbly Faced
No more 94 Octane?
« on: October 06, 2010, 03:53:22 pm »
Did anyone heard BC may be loosing husky 94?

"Was a sad day last week when I pulled into a Husky station. They had 91 stickers on top of all their 94 pumps and even the gas attendant didn't know. Emailed customer support and here's what I got

Dear customer,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our 94 Octane fuel. The discontinuation of our premium 94 Octane fuel comes as a result of changes to regulations that restrict the Reid Vapour Pressure (RVP) of gasoline. RVP measures the volatility of gasoline. In short, the addition of ethanol to gasoline adds to the overall RVP of the product.

For some time, Husky has received special allowance to produce and distribute our ethanol-blended 94 Octane gasoline; however, this allowance is no longer in place and as a result, our suppliers have chosen not to continue to provide Husky with our premium fuel.

The unfortunate outcome, as you've experienced, is that we can no longer provide our ethanol-blended premium fuel to our customers. Husky still supplies high-quality, ethanol-blended regular & mid-grade (87 & 89 Octane) and 91 Octane (no ethanol) fuel at most locations across the province.

We know this is a disappointment and for this, we apologize. We sincerely hope that you will continue to choose Husky and Mohawk for our other exceptional products and services, as well as for your refuelling needs.

Kind Regards,

Husky Customer Service
1-800-661-3835 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1-800-661-3835      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
customerservice@huskyenergy.com"

I wonder if Alberta will loose it too?

if so, is there any problem running a 91 over 94 on a sti other than loosing 15hp?

rith

Re: No more 94 Octane?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:09:03 pm »
weird, i guess I'll find out when I fill up today :P

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »
wait wait wait.

so... BC no longer has Husky 94??

What about Chevron? They have 94 (non-ethanol blend)
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline texasnick

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 04:33:40 pm »
I filled up with 94 from Husky and Barlow last night.  No mention of the 94 getting brownholed.

I'm really really really really hoping this is just BC.  They still have Chevron if they need 94.  If it happens in Alberta we're all in trouble.

Zeev.....it seems like it has to do with the fact that it's ethanol blended fuel.....so I think Chevron should still be good to go.
Steve McQueen

Offline texasnick

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »
Husky still supplies high-quality, ethanol-blended regular & mid-grade (87 & 89 Octane) and 91 Octane (no ethanol) fuel at most locations across the province.

That comment would have really made me pissy.  Like that uckfaying matters to someone looking for 94 explicitly.
Steve McQueen

Offline Munky

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '06 WRX
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:22:10 pm »
Chevron FTW!

Need 94? Coming to BC? Go through Banff.  No chevrons between, kamloops and alberta on Hwys 5 and 16.

Offline skylineguv

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Forum turncoat
  • Ride: '15 Macan Turbo - Jet Black
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »
I think it's something to do with them lifting the 'RVP waiver' in certain parts of BC. At least they get Chevron as an alternative source of 94!

Offline SilverRex

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:45:03 pm »
has anyone used a detune 91 map or stage 1 map? if that is what we'll have to get in Alberta, which 91 is good? shell or esso?

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 08:50:01 pm »
is there any problem running a 91 over 94 on a sti other than loosing 15hp?

You'd only lose that "15 hp" if you were tuned for 94 oct. And in that case, yes running 91 oct on THAT tune would be bad. The best bet for a good 91 oct tune would be to get a hold of Airboy, and have an open source tune done on your car for your car. Most guys will run Shell 91, if they're running 91.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »
In the winter unless I'm planning any long highway road trips, I use 91 to just putt around town, even though I'm tuned on 94.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:05:17 pm »
Precisely why I'm tuned for 91, only 1 option in Ab for 94.  I'll have to do some reading, but I thought E10 was to be the standard in Canada at some point (?).

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:55:47 pm »
In the winter unless I'm planning any long highway road trips, I use 91 to just putt around town, even though I'm tuned on 94.

You stay out of the boost for the most part?
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 10:11:21 pm »
You stay out of the boost for the most part?

Yup. The car also idles a lot smoother on 91 than the 94 Husky garbage.

Offline RIP

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Outback
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 10:44:08 pm »
Yup. The car also idles a lot smoother on 91 than the 94 Husky garbage.

+1

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STi
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 07:36:35 am »
I think this might be BC only.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/codes/cgra/public-comment-summary.pdf

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/codes/cgra/index.htm

"The proposed amendment to the CGR will address two issues: allowing for the distribution of automotive ethanol fuel (E85) in B.C., as well as phasing out the Reid Vapour Pressure (RVP) waiver, which allows ethanol-blended gasoline in the Lower Fraser Valley (LFV) to exceed the prescribed limits for vapour pressure during warmer months of the year."

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 05:42:19 pm »
It'd be really interesting if they lost 94 in favour of E85..

Offline DotComm

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 WRB STI
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 12:24:13 am »
I'm getting sick of only having two stations to buy 94 octane at in the Regina/Moose Jaw region. I take it I can flash my '04 STi's ECU to normally use 91 octane. What is the easiest way to do this? I also noticed that the Husky stations that saw they serve 94 in Manitoba don't any more, with my frequent travels to rural Manitoba this would likely be better for my car than using 91 on the stock flash.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 08:03:15 am »
I'm getting sick of only having two stations to buy 94 octane at in the Regina/Moose Jaw region. I take it I can flash my '04 STi's ECU to normally use 91 octane. What is the easiest way to do this? I also noticed that the Husky stations that saw they serve 94 in Manitoba don't any more, with my frequent travels to rural Manitoba this would likely be better for my car than using 91 on the stock flash.

Are you specifically tuned for 94? If so, who is your tuner? It would be best if they were to do that for you.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline DotComm

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 09:26:58 am »
Are you specifically tuned for 94? If so, who is your tuner? It would be best if they were to do that for you.

I just have the stock tune for the STi I believe (bought the car over the summer from a used car dealership, it had some mods done to it but they didn't know too much about them).

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 10:40:12 am »
I just have the stock tune for the STi I believe (bought the car over the summer from a used car dealership, it had some mods done to it but they didn't know too much about them).

A) Find out what mods you have done. If its a downpipe, then you definitely want to get a tune ASAP as not even 94 will help you if you've got a wider exhaust and no tune.
B) Get a tune. Even if its just an accessport, get a tune. If you get a custom tune, you can get tuned for any gas that you want.

Offline DotComm

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 08:05:43 pm »
I have a general ideas of what mods have been done. Performance wise the exhaust was redone which does include a Cobb downpipe. I'm pretty cheap though, need money for gas. Would it be easy to get a tactrix and flash it myself with a decent tune (plus give a chance to learn about that stuff) or is dishing out the money for an accessport smarter? Sorry I don't know much about this stuff and from my understanding there isn't much for tuning Subarus in Regina, let alone Saskatchewan.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 10:23:47 pm »
I have a general ideas of what mods have been done. Performance wise the exhaust was redone which does include a Cobb downpipe. I'm pretty cheap though, need money for gas. Would it be easy to get a tactrix and flash it myself with a decent tune (plus give a chance to learn about that stuff) or is dishing out the money for an accessport smarter? Sorry I don't know much about this stuff and from my understanding there isn't much for tuning Subarus in Regina, let alone Saskatchewan.

Your best bet is to get an accessport. Running around with a downpipe without a tune for it is an engine failure waiting to happen.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 08:15:49 am »
Your best bet is to get an accessport. Running around with a downpipe without a tune for it is an engine failure waiting to happen.

Agreed. If you "dont know much about this stuff" then tuning your engine yourself isn't for you.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 02:35:25 pm »
Agreed. If you "dont know much about this stuff" then tuning your engine yourself isn't for you.

Everybody starts somewhere.  But getting your car running safely first before starting the adventure of self-tuning would be a good idea.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 03:24:03 pm »
i bet you could make a day trip to Calgary to see Airboy. 1 days worth of Gas + cost of the tune could save u an engine