Author Topic: How much air for the TMIC?  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
How much air for the TMIC?
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:13:48 pm »
I am sure you have seen carpet dryer fans being used to provide cooling for the Top Mount Inter-cooler (TMIC) on the Subaru before.  Have you wondered if it is providing too much air flow relative to "real life" conditions?

I measured the airflow speed out of the B-Air Grizzly GP-1 carpet dryer fan (the green one in the picture above) and it peaked at just under 90kph.  This fan is one of the most powerful one that I could find, with a 1 hp motor and a flow rating of 3550CFM.

Given that cars on the dyno are usually run to 140 to 160kph, I would not consider the amount of airflow being directed at the TMIC to be excessive.

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: How much air for the TMIC?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:14:17 pm »
Given that cars on the dyno are usually run to 140 to 160kph, I would not consider the amount of airflow being directed at the TMIC to be excessive.

What about the inverse?  Is it insufficient?

Or is it just a better idea overall to have *more* heatsoak on the dyno & while tuning, and to have less heatsoak and more detonation resistance in real life?

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:24:48 pm »
Or is it just a better idea overall to have *more* heatsoak on the dyno & while tuning, and to have less heatsoak and more detonation resistance in real life?

Good safety factor.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:33:34 pm »
With the time spent between runs waiting for coolant temp to drop I don't think it is that big of a factor.  Remember that the IC is really like a big heatsink that absorbs the heat of the intake charge then transfers the heat to atmosphere.  In the time it takes for the coolant temp to drop the IC is most likely back to "normal" temps.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline TOMBONOMBONA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • RAWR!!!!!!
  • Ride: 2012 370Z
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:40:15 pm »
One thing my buddy told me about. Our intakes have a heater in them. Like something to warm the air when it is stupid cold out like it is now, I'm wondering, wouldn't this negate any effects of the TMIC considering that collant temp is about ninety degrees. I am actually quite interested in this.
This car is more fun than the entire French air force crashing into a firework factory.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:46:32 pm »
One thing my buddy told me about. Our intakes have a heater in them. Like something to warm the air when it is stupid cold out like it is now, I'm wondering, wouldn't this negate any effects of the TMIC considering that collant temp is about ninety degrees. I am actually quite interested in this.

No, that's just one tiny little coolant passage running through the throttle body to keep it from icing up in winter...

(But if you're doing a mod, like intake manifold spacers, you might as well do the "throttle body coolant bypass". ;))

Offline TOMBONOMBONA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • RAWR!!!!!!
  • Ride: 2012 370Z
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 06:49:53 pm »
No, that's just one tiny little coolant passage running through the throttle body to keep it from icing up in winter...

(But if you're doing a mod, like intake manifold spacers, you might as well do the "throttle body coolant bypass". ;))

I will be. I was just not sure. I've never had an intake off so I can give it a real close look. And I know car companies will do silly things like that for canadian models... Especially VW TDI's.
This car is more fun than the entire French air force crashing into a firework factory.

edicius

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:13:42 pm »
We have had icing up problems on throttles in the cold weather on the volvos, this usually occurs on vehicles with less then perfect maintenance. Once the throttle gets a nice coating of oil on it/in it and the cold weather hits, it definitely slows it opening and sets throttle codes. Keep in mind this is on drive by wire systems, if you have a throttle cable then I wouldn't even worry.