Author Topic: Changing my Valve Cover Gaskets  (Read 6981 times)

Offline BoMbS

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaloo STi
Changing my Valve Cover Gaskets
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:13:07 am »
So I had to change the valve cover gaskets on my 1993 WRX so I thought I'd share some pics/info.  Both sides were leaking and I was sick of leaving small puddles of oil everywhere I parked.  First thing I did was buy all required gaskets.  In case you can't read the pics the part numbers are:

Subaru P/N    Description                      As Listed                   Quantity     Price Each as of 2011/07/04 at Subaru City in Edmonton
13272AA040    LH Main Outer Gasket      GSKT-ROC CVR LH            1           $20.55
13270AA040    RH Main Outer Gasket      GSKT-ROC CVR RH            1           $20.55
13293AA030    Spark Plug Hole Gasket    GSKT-ROC CVR 2              4           $9.74
11051AA070    Half Moon Plastic Plugs     PLUG-CLY HEAD               4           $12.07
13271AA051    Valve Cover Bolt Washer  WASH-ROCKER COVER    12          $9.33

Sorry for the different angles and orientations, but I took the pictures on different days.  Notice in the last picture, 3 of the washers are upside down and the RH main gasket has a zig zag shape between the cam humps that the LH one doesn't.

On the LH side I had to remove the battery, battery tray, a bracket supporting a wiring harness, and unscrew the washer fluid bottle (I just rested it on my strut tower so I didn't have the disconnect the fluid hose).

On the RH side I removed the air cleaner assembly including the top and bottom of the air box, the bracket under the air box, the MAF sensor, the 90º elbow, and  the resonator.

I also had to remove the bolts holding the coolant reservoir as the side mount bolt is attached to a bracket that's attached to the valve cover.  Be extra careful with the reservoir, they can be very brittle and are prone to breaking. (Don't ask how I know...)

After removing the coil packs, remove the valve covers making sure to crack each bolt before fully removing any.
Tip: Buy a ratcheting box end wrench if you don't have one, very handy here due to clearance.

LH side has been leaking a lonnnng time...

Here are some cleaned up pics, notice I didn't have to remove air breather on the top of each valve cover or the oil filler neck thereby avoiding having to buy those gaskets too.

I used gasket maker on all sides of the plastic half moons and on the humps over the cam shafts. You can see this was also done on the previous install, and the mechanic at Subaru told me to do this using Three Bond 1215, which I couldn't find so I just used regular Ultra Black by Permatex that you can find anywhere.

Lastly I tightened valve cover bolts slowly in a cross pattern with blue thread locker and used my best guess to replicate the required final torque [7.2 +/- 0.5 ft•lb] (I was able to get the torque wrench on a couple of the bolts).

Reassemble everything in the reverse of removal and presto! No more leaks!

Offline LegacySTI

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1990 Legacy RS RA, 2009 WRX265, 2019 Ascent
Re: Changing my Valve Cover Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:21:29 am »
Thanks for posting. I've been considering doing this myself. After converting my coil packs, I carefully cleaned all of the old grim off of my covers, so I should be able to tell how much mine have been leaking.

Your write up and picture will be very helpful if/when I change my valve cover gaskets. Thanks!

Offline codester-

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: e39
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:03 am »
Wow this is perfect that you made this. My left side valve cover gasket just started to leak about 2 weeks ago. I will probably tackle this myself now rather than have a shop do it.

Offline schizoSTI

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 08 STI
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »
is the ultra black still holding? i found it was ultra crap.  I will never use it again. 

Offline Guglianoh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Benson B20 Turbo EK/2012 Kawasaki ER6N
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:41:38 pm »
Great write up! You failed to mention (I realize it's common sense but there are gifted peopled put there) that when changing any gasket/seal to clean the sealing surface as well as you can. If you can get your self some 3M scotch pads or a light abrasive sand paper clean the surface of the old stuck on gasket and then later wipe away with come alcohol or brake clean. You want to sealing surface as clean as possible to prevent any debris from interrupting the gasket to seal and ultimately cause a leak.

You should definetly post a link to this thread in the JDM FAQ sticky
Horse Power is a lot like sex, you can never get enough!

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=27931.0

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:31:36 am »
Why not do cam seals ?
I just replaces all these gaskets , much easier working on the engine outside the car hahahaa

EDIT:
13272AA040    LH Main Outer Gasket      GSKT-ROC CVR LH            1           $20.55
13270AA040    RH Main Outer Gasket      GSKT-ROC CVR RH            1           $20.55
13293AA030    Spark Plug Hole Gasket    GSKT-ROC CVR 2              4           $9.74
11051AA070    Half Moon Plastic Plugs     PLUG-CLY HEAD               4           $12.07
13271AA051    Valve Cover Bolt Washer  WASH-ROCKER COVER    12          $9.33

Those Prices are absurd! I would say go to a place that has a account with worldpac, for cheap hahaha.
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline 93GC8

• Stubbly Faced
  • Scoobie
  • Ride: 94 GC8 WRX, Black w/ Cherry Pearls
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:58:28 pm »
Great thread!....Did this install this weekend, and yes box wrench is a savior but even then still tough to play with ahah and excellent part number refernce, the trip to the subaru store was easy.