Author Topic: DRL delete, does anyone have the answer? FOR A 2007 STI specifically.  (Read 4018 times)

STIed

There is a lot of discussion about turning off the DRL's, does anyone have the definitive answer, hopefully with pictures for a 2007 STI, (Canadian market).

Anu clues out there?

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
Re: DRL delete, does anyone have the answer?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:26:16 pm »
I know this works for '02-'05 WRX, it might point you in the right direction.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914064

Jeff
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:34:52 pm »
I've seen all kinds of posts on all kinds of forums for this.
Forgive the stupid question, but why do people want to to disable these?

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:38:33 pm »
Typically they do it if they are running an aftermarket HID kit.  If they don't the HIDs will flicker due to the low voltage supplied for DRL use.

Some people just don't like DRLs

Jeff
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:55:04 pm »
I read through that thread and nobody actually pointed out how to do disable them in an 05 STi.  I wonder if the 05 is the same as the 06?

-J
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 04:07:34 am »
After a lot of mucking around, there is a DRL resistor (this causes the DRL's to be dimmer than normal lights), it is located on the front of the passenger side of the front strut tower inside the engine bay. If you pull it, your DRL's turn off. There are other ways to accomplish this, but really, if you ever want them back on - you just plug that back in. I have an 03 OBS, so on an 05 STI the wiring may be slightly different - but I found this a simple and easy way to get it disabled.

I rewired my fog relay/switch to my auxiliary power so I can now control them manually with a switch in all conditions. Futher I pulled my the DRL resistor plug ("the poor mans DRL delete"), now with the fog light switch engaged, I have manually controlled fogs as my DRLs. It's not an automagic solution, but well, I don't like things automagically happening. This is nothing more than just personal preference.

The relays are located behind the glove compartment:
http://www.tokers.ca/~honz/subie/fog_mod/tn_DRL-HI_Relays.jpg

I played A LOT around with my lighting system on the car. In the end, I left the relays alone, and just unplugged the resistor. Viola, everything works the way I want it to.

PM me if you would like a photo or some "electrical advice" (by no means am I a qualified tech or electrician, I just learnt most things the hard way with my car -- PS. I have A LOT of spare 20A fuses :) )...
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline RIP

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Outback
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:55:15 am »
I am an electrician and I still don't want to muck around with the lights too much....

But I would really like advice on making my 07 fogs manual... because I would like them to
be able to be on without the front headlights in fog situations

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:59 pm »
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/344152-post19.html

This is for an 06, but you might get lucky and the 07 will be the same.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:05:18 pm »
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/344152-post19.html

This is for an 06, but you might get lucky and the 07 will be the same.
06 is pretty much the same as the 07 with the exception of 1 or 2 wires on the ECU.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 01:22:41 am »
Sheesh! All of you people and your fancy new cars :P

For making the fogs manual, I pulled out my multimeter and started hunting for an aux-power wire.
low res: http://www.tokers.ca/~honz/subie/fog_mod/tn_FuseCluster2.jpg
high res: http://www.tokers.ca/~honz/subie/fog_mod/FuseCluster2.jpg

Notice that I tapped the yellow-green wire. This is particular wire provides power, in aux mode, to the stereo. This wire is tapped and connected to the fog light switch directly which then is connected to the relay. Pretty simple really. Depending on what you want to do, there are wires to do that too. I chose aux mode as I don't want the fogs to run ALL the time (ie: car is off like). The howto articles floating around say to tap off an orange wire in a large connector block. I have no idea to what this is connected - I tried it, it makes the fogs flash with the keyless entry/alarm which looks kinda neat but I found it to do other strange things and still only work when the lights were in park mode. Also, from the factory - my fog light switch wires (pins) were not in the "correct" locations so I ended up blowing about 10 20A fuses. Now everything works all pretty like.

I took this opportunity to do a few other things...
http://www.tokers.ca/~honz/subie/fog_mod/tn_AssemblyRight2.jpg

Illuminated key ring for one. :)

I also killed the friggen stupid dumb itshay assay piece of god damn useless annoying uckfaying chime that lets you know that your precious key is still in the ignition (while the door is open). I'm sure there is someone out there that likes this annoying 'ding... ding... ding...' and they set it as their ringtone. After realizing the difficulty of having NiN's Closer play instead of that chime, I decided to disable it. It was pretty easy - there is a two pole connector under the steering wheel you disconnect. I can't remember which one - my fingers have a mind of their own. Crawl in there upside down with a flashlight and it should only take about 42 seconds to find and unplug.

Oh ya, the whole 'push in clutch to start car' BS is gone too (easy to get to, did it a while back tho). Hellooooo... What if the passenger wants to turn the car on ... ie ... you're throwing the snowboards on the roof and your sexy hot girl wants to start up the car so she can get warm and take off her cloths. sheesh. For Japanese ingenuity, they really need a more winterizational experience. Cliffs notes on this, look at the top of the clutch pedal, there is a switch - jumper across that and you're golden.

Just a few ideas while you're down there hunting wires with your trusty fluke/uni-t. :)
Sorry about the digression from DRLs, but feel free to PM me (or /msg me on irc) if you have any questions about this.

STIed

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 01:01:03 pm »
Unfortunatley the 2007 STI is not the same (at least my one) as the 2006 in this case, the item in the pictures is no located there on mine.........still looking for ideas if anyone has some.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: DRL delete, does anyone have the answer? FOR A 2007 STI specifically.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 11:15:14 am »
can you post a picture of what you see on the passenger pillar and/or behind the glove box?

STIed

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 02:55:08 pm »
I have pictures now but it wont let me post them........technology, gotta love it!

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 03:00:19 pm »
^^^
Are you using photobucket or some other site to host the pics?

STIed

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 04:45:20 pm »

No, i just tried to attach them to my reply.........the files are too big so they wont accept them.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 11:37:43 pm »
Try hosting them from photobucket and you should be good to go.

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 07:02:58 pm »
Ok.. to settle the debate for WRX's w/o HID's from factory.  You DO NOT have to take apart your dash to disable the DRL's.  You only need to unplug the resistor commonly found on the passenger side shock tower, pictured here.

unplug this connector

Now here's mod 1.5 for the same application.  If you are a WRX who has installed HID's into your non-factory equipped HID vehicle, and you've got a safety inspection and need the DRL's to work, simply put a small wire jumping the two terminals to complete the circuit on this connector (the one I'm holding in my hand).

This is BY FAR THE EASIEST mod to do, and the EASIEST to reverse.  If you happen to get pulled over because your DRL's aren't functioning, then all you have to do is say to the officer "awe crudd, I think the connector under the hood popped off again.. I broke it a few weeks ago and this keeps happening, unfortunately I have to wait for parts to come in from Japan to fix the problem".  :D

Second Edit...

For STi's that are wanting to disable the DRL's, yes, you do have to find the relay behind the glovebox labled DRL.  So the post from Jutes will steer you in the right direction.  Subaru normally doesn't change the location for "hidden" components such as DRL's.

STIed

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 06:25:44 pm »

Does any one have a picture of the Part marked DRL for an '07 STI, with factory HID's ?

I still have not seen any information for the 2007 model, but i have had my car in peices looking for this thing.

Is it possible they are turned off and on by the body computer?

Any views would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Staple

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '10 Ram 1500 and '09 R1
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 06:41:57 pm »

No, i just tried to attach them to my reply.........the files are too big so they wont accept them.

I am going to be trying to do this again tomorrow. I pulled the glovebox off already but now it is to dark in the backyard to take any pics or mess around with it anymore. I checked out that attached like for an 06STI and it did look different. Pics to come tomorrow and hopefully results.
There's no replacement for displacement

Offline Staple

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '10 Ram 1500 and '09 R1
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 04:14:57 pm »
Alright, after reading every post on every website about disabling the DRL on an 07 STI, I finally found out how to do it and have successfully done it on my car.

The picture below is taken from underneath the dash on the drivers side of the car. The bottom left corner is closest to your knees, while driving, and the top right is facing the engine bay. So when you lay on your back with your feet dangling out the drivers door, this is what you will see.

Now onto the job. All you have to do is cut the Green with yellow striped wire from the blue clip. This will disable all DRL, including park lights, taillights and your HID's. So with your light switch turned to the off position and with your ebrake off you will have no DRL. The first position will then turn on driving lights and second one turns on your HID's.

As you can see in top right corner of the picture I also installed a toggle switch after cutting the wire, which is why you see blue connectors spliced into the cut wire. This allows me to turn my DRL back on whenever the law requires and then switch them off right after again.  :)

Cutting this wire is the best and easiest way to disable your DRL on a 2007 STI.
There's no replacement for displacement