Author Topic: Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace  (Read 2842 times)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:18:58 am »
This doohicky.
http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=144&products_id=217

Anyone who has driven an SG forester knows how horrible the brakes are. Stepping on the pedal is pretty similar to stepping on the remains of that pumpkin I forgot to take off my step LAST year. I picked this thing up to see if it would help in any way, before going on to the next step of doing a brembo swap.

Install on the 05 FXT was pretty painless. Note that this brace is compatible with almost every subaru model in existence.
Undo washer fluid jug. Move out of way.
Undo 2 bolts on fuel line bracket.
Undo wire loom from bracket.
Toss bottom portion of bracket across the yard and watch the dog chase it because he thinks it's a cookie.
Insert brace.
Ziptie loom to brace. Preferably with a festive color.
Bolt brace to strut tower.
Reinstall washer fluid jug.
? ? ?
Hope it was all worth it.

Note that this install is a little more involved for vehicles with the fuel filter in the engine bay, and even more difficult for those vehicles with air pumps.

After 50km of city/highway, I think I can say that this brace is definitely not worth it on a daily driver, but this wasn't a surprise to me.
If you look at the physics being changed with this brace, it really shouldn't make any difference under regular "coast to the light" braking.
There is a slight improvement to pedal feel under light braking, it feels more "solid".

As expected, however, it is really noticeable under hard braking.
The brakes seem to bite faster. I can't really explain it, but it is especially noticeable on the FXTs wonderful "modulated braking" booster that it has. The "holy itshay" line in the pedal has moved up a bit and doesn't feel like you're 2mm from the floor when it comes.
I don't know if this effect would be as noticeable on a wrx/sti, but I will swap this over to the STI at some point in the future and try it out.

So in short, not worth the $99 price tag for a daily driver. Even if that daily driver is an FXT with the worst brakes known to man.
I can see it being worth it in a motorsports application, and will come back and update the review when I get a chance to test it in that scenario.
This shouldn't be a surprise, and is in no way a "negative" review against the product. You just need to know what it was intended for and how it works. I did not expect it to solve the FXT's braking problems, and therefore I am not disappointed that it didn't.

Final score:
A slight bruise on the forehead for DD, with the potential for some proper face smashing while on the track.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
Re: Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:04:30 pm »
Another good review, you're becoming the review laureate of WSC.

I'd pondered this part a while ago, and asked myself the same question you did: "how often do I break hard on a normal, daily drive", I arrived at never.  I think I can recall one occasion in the past 2.5 years where I had to break hard, and noticing the stiffness of the firewall was the least of my concerns at that point.

That said, I'd probably buy one  ;D

Offline smrt_ass_engr

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 12' Audi S4, 99' 2.5RS
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:21 pm »
Completely different result for myself.  In the GC the brakes are terribly soft, i often found myself double pumping the brake pedal in order to get the proper feel in the pedal to brake normally.  I had already tried shortening up the contact stud to make the brakes kick on quicker, that worked for a little while.  New fluid didnt work at all, provided no change, upgraded pads and rotors had no effect either. 

Now with this brace i find i rarely need to double pump the pedal to get the pressure i like, occationally i still do but usually only when the brakes are warm and the crappy OEM rubber lines loosen up.  I drive the foot/16th/barlow everyday and find that braking is much more comfortable for me now.  I still plan to do SS brake lines to complete the ensemble

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »
"how often do I break hard on a normal, daily drive", I arrived at never.

In Lebanon, you don't break hard.. 

I installed one of these on my LGT a few weeks ago, braking response improved significantly and the "dead zone" in the pedal range (where SFA happens) decreased.

Worth the time and $$ spent upgrading.

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Dano

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A few
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:12:48 pm »
Always wondered what difference it makes, as I bought my car with an MRT brace installed. Didn't actually find it until 2 years later, when I decided that the red bracket couldnt be factory.
'93 Prelude SI H23VTEC 11.6:1 M2B4, 12.93 @ 108.21 MPH.
'02 Subaru WRX HKS, Invidia, Volk CE-28N, lots of Sti parts. Great winter beater.
'06 RSX Type-S Bone stock - for now
'11 GMC Sierra 4X4 - pulls stuff

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:45:47 pm »
I have the TiC brace on my '06 WRX. My opinions are fairly close to snackers'. I installed it to deal with spongy brakes, but the real problem was that I had old manky brake fluid in there and poorly bedded pads.

I felt that I'd been ripped off by buying it until I actually started using my brakes at autocross events, at which point pedal modulation became easier. I don't think it's a good application for daily driving and may make it more difficult to threshold brake in the winter.

If you're considering this, first bleed your brakes and replace them with nice fresh fluid. It's cheaper, and it's objectively easier, particularly if you have an air pump like me.

If memory serves, I had to remove some wire-retention clips from my car's positive battery cable (as per the instructions) to accommodate the brace as well, which I immediately replaced with zipties. Wire tuckers need not apply (but most of you are probably too busy scrubbing semi-imagined dirt spots out of your shoes to be reading this post anyway).

Offline alistairh

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 Sedan
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:28 am »
I have one of these on my 2011 STi. Installed while trying to correct a pedal feel issue that turned out to be seized pads, lol.

Unit is definitely worth the money, Install would have been easier if I didn't have upgraded fuel rails.
I Broke what, and it's going to cost HOW MUCH to fix?!
343AWHP/425AWTQ - Airboy POWER!
Rockin a DGM Sedan since before it was cool

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:25:10 pm »
I just received mine for my 07 2.5i. After reading the mixed reveiws I'm curious to see what difference it makes, if any. Oh well, with not being able to do much to an N/A car I'll take what I can get as long as there is some benefit and it's not a gimmick.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:50:26 pm »
I just received mine for my 07 2.5i. After reading the mixed reveiws I'm curious to see what difference it makes, if any. Oh well, with not being able to do much to an N/A car I'll take what I can get as long as there is some benefit and it's not a gimmick.

brake mods dont differ from N/A car to turbo car.... as stated in some above posts, it will not change your DD feel, it will only feel different under hard braking conditions like auto x

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:42 pm »
I know a mod like that wouldn't differ from a turbo car to an NA car. I read snacker's review on the product and it makes complete scense to me. I also know he has a lot more experience with these cars but I still want to find out for myself though.  :D  I bought the part before i saw his review too.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere