Author Topic: Darkrid3rs fantasy build UPDATED WITH PICTURES  (Read 16848 times)

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Darkrid3rs fantasy build
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2009, 02:17:30 pm »

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2009, 03:08:03 pm »
It'll work great.  I know of a member on here with the equivalent one on his 06 WRX and he's been very happy with it.

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2009, 03:11:23 pm »
^Guys have had good results with that exhaust. I bought a catless Invidia DP for my '08. I actually bought their CBE as well since I really like the sound of it and it maintains relatively straight flowing exhaust gas... although it does look a little weird from behind. The best part of the Invidia's is the cost. And you know what, it's just a piece of pipe. Hard to *really* go wrong....

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2009, 03:44:32 pm »
Invidia N1 and Invidia down-pipe ordered.

Let Stage 2 begin!

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2009, 04:08:53 pm »
Invidia N1 and Invidia down-pipe ordered.

Let Stage 2 begin!

aaaaannnnndddd hooked.  ;D

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2009, 04:33:09 pm »
I place the blame on snackers for the suggestion, and i blame Mario for making me listen to his sweet sweet exhaust.

The down pipe i added myself so i place some blame there, but mostly on the other 2.
I place blame on sunny for doing such a good job in tuning.
I place blame on the general WSC community for being so dam helpful, open, and welcoming.

I will place beer and pizza on the hood of my car when we install it, and place blame on you who help me install it, and place blame on thoes who eat my pizza and drink my beer.
I will place more blame on Sunny for tuning a stage2, sigh....so much blame.....i better order extra pizza!

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »
I will take the blame. No problem.

I didn't buy it for you (tho, don't be surprised when a 2nd invidia shows up on your credit card, and then shortly after, my car sounds the same)

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55:12 am »
I will take the blame. No problem.

I didn't buy it for you (tho, don't be surprised when a 2nd invidia shows up on your credit card, and then shortly after, my car sounds the same)

snicker snicker

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2009, 02:02:29 pm »
So snackers and I are looking for an install location.

He has CBE to install, i have TBE to install.

I have sent sunny a message to see if he is up for a trip to Edmonton, will need a couple more people in on that trip to make it worth his while, i will make a separate post once i talk with him.

Anyone have a nice warm location we can work? I suppose were looking at 2-4 weeks for install ish....?

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2009, 03:37:25 pm »
Hey guys, i just had a brain fart....

Should i heat wrap the down pipe and mid pipe of the exhaust while i have the chance to do it?
I will stubbornly need help on this one.

MOPAC?

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2009, 04:31:19 pm »
Hey guys, i just had a brain fart....

Should i heat wrap the down pipe and mid pipe of the exhaust while i have the chance to do it?
I will stubbornly need help on this one.

MOPAC?

You really can only benefit from doing this.  Although I havent done this myself because I'm lazy, from what I've read on the outcomes of doing it, it's a good thing.  Why not, if you have the time?

If you're looking for heat wrap fairly quick then ya, Mopac.  You could also contact one of the vendors on here to see what they can do for pricing.

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2009, 04:41:40 pm »
Mopac is the only vendor i know of that sells that type of stuff. Let me do a search and see whom else has done it, and where they purchased.

Offline wrex4

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2009, 05:29:28 pm »
Part source sells heat wrap as well, but I would go to Mopac for their selection.
"Be Charitable...Lift harder for those who cant"

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2009, 08:26:48 am »
I've mentioned this before in a few other posts but when you are in the process of heat wrapping, make sure you soak the heck out of the heat wrap in water.  I let mine soak in a bucket for about 10 mins before I started wrapping.  This will help you get the tightest wraps and will also help aid the curing process. 

Make sure you clamp down your first wrap so that you have some grip to make the rest of your wrap as tight as possible.  Having soaked the wrap will help expand the fibres so make sure you pull as hard as you can with every revolution.  Once you're complete, tie everything down with hose clamps or stainless steel zip ties (whatever your preference) and let the exhaust dry for a couple of days.  I know what you're thinking: "two whole days without my new toy?", but you have to make sure that the wrap is *completely* dry.  Once that's done get some of the trusty high temp silicone sealer spray from Mopac and spray a few coats onto your wrap and let dry for at least 24 hours before install.

A few other things to note is that after everything is on the car and you've been running it, your car will start smoking like crazy.  This is normal.  The smell isn't pretty too but it will all eventually go away.  Car washes are fun too because once that wrap gets wet, it starts smoking.  I had my install done in August or so and my car stopped smoking after car washes in November / December (just to give you an idea). 

Of course it took quite some time to get to the point of no smoke and weird smells, but the smoking can be quite embarrassing when you're at a light and people are trying to tell you that your car is on fire, meanwhile you know that everything is fine and pretend to ignore them.   ;D

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2009, 01:43:56 pm »
haha i think this is going to be a team effort, you and ryan :)

I have never done it before, it does not sound to hard...but would be nice to have some help.

I have good zip ties, not stanless steal ones....Soaking is always a good idea...spray i have also never done.

Once the parts come in, and im back from vacation, its going to be crazy in my world...but should make time to get this stuff done, especially now that i know it takes days to dry.

As for the smoke, not sure why it would do it, excess spray burning off? I could always drive it to Calgary and back, let it get nice and hot.
The smell going to make my kids sick when i take them to daycare in the morning?
Should i plan on doing it like Thursday night, and driving my assay off on a weekend? Try to burn as much of it off as i can before i get the kids back in the car....

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2009, 02:50:35 pm »
You will most likely need to get either some hose clamps or stainless zip ties as the plastic ones will most likely melt off or deform over time.

The Spray is awesome, not only will it keep the pipe even cooler, it acts as a sealant for the heat wrap which can degrade from getting wet etc. 

I drove A LOT when I went to Stage 2 and even drove to Calgary to see the Jedi Master himself to get a tune and it would still smoke from time to time.  It's not something that you can avoid but just keep your vents off at idle and your kids should be fine.  Some people say it smells like burnt grilled cheese.  LMAO

On a side note, I was at an exhaust shop today and they had my car on a lift.  I inspected the wrap job and so on and I have to say that the wrap is just as solid as it was when I first did it.  I'm very happy with the stuff from Mopac and the technique I used to apply it. 

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2009, 03:20:48 pm »
I will see if they are open Saturday, going to be in the west end anyway.

How much of this goop do i need?

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2009, 03:23:21 pm »
Yeah, they're open on Saturdays.

Start with a 50' roll and I only used 1 can of spray for the UP and DP.  Had some left over too but ended up unleashing it on the pipes again.  LOL

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2009, 10:55:07 am »
So the spray seals the wrap onto the pipe?

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2009, 10:59:29 am »
Not really onto the pipe but it seals the wrap.  Keeps it waterproof etc.

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2009, 01:46:30 pm »
Whats the wrap made of? high temp nylon?

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »
Whats the wrap made of? high temp nylon?

I thought it was fibreglass and other nasty things...

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2009, 02:03:11 pm »
I thought it was fibreglass and other nasty things...

...little asbestos never killed anyone...

Offline wrex4

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2009, 03:20:39 pm »
DEI exhaust wrap is manufactured with a hi-temp fiberglass composite material and then infused with a proprietary coating to enhance heat retention and expanded durability of the exhaust wrap.
- from design engineering's website.
"Be Charitable...Lift harder for those who cant"

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2009, 04:33:33 pm »
I am going to go to Mopac on Saturday, what am i looking for?

just high temp heat wrap? or do i tell them the application that i am doing then they can help me?