Author Topic: CanadianImprezaWRX 2004 WRX  (Read 2330 times)

Offline CanadianImprezaWRX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX WRB
CanadianImprezaWRX 2004 WRX
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:00:03 pm »
TL;DR at bottom/in sig.

Got my 04' WRX in March of 12'. I knew mostly nothing of Subaru's and purchased it with an APS FMIC, APS intake, AP Bov, GReddy TBE and BC Coilovers. Unknown by me, not tuned. Came from DSM's which are far less sensitive to tuning so I wasn't overly concerned about it. A decision which I later regret in this thread  ;D.

Here she is the day I got her. It also had Blue STi Carpet, STi steering wheel, STi shifter trim, STi splitters, STi scoop, STi HID's and an aluminium rad.

First thing I installed was my A/F ration gauge and repainted the hood scoop. Car ran great for a while. Had fun it it even after I read about tuning issues. A/F was well within check and I was only half worried. Don't make mistakes that I did.

Long story short, on my way out to Coaldale one day she decided it wasn't happy anymore. Lost compression on Cyl 2 and terrible leakdown results. So it was time for fun!  ;D

I'm sure you can imagine what happened to get to this stage.

Began breaking it down at the shop I worked at and found valve/piston issues in that cylinder.

I decided on using ACL STD main + thrust bearings, CP Pistons, Supertech nitrided valves, Exedy Clutch, ARP Head Studs and all new OEM gaskets with machine works done my Chris Wood engines of Cranbrook. Fantastic machinist and a great guy.

I'm not going to get into the reassembly much here. Went well, learned a lot and had a blast working on it though! I'll just leave you with some photos.

All back together!

Video of first and second start. I added more PS fluid after and it stopped crying.

After rebuild topped it off with an STi TMIC, stock airbox again, AEM A/F, Boost and Oil Pressure in an ATi clock pod and of course a tune (car is also getting retuned by airboy in the spring). Not sure on future mods or how long I'll have the car but this is how it sits now.

If I could I'd like to do a 6 speed swap and a Evo III 16g. We will see where it goes though.

Joel

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
Re: CanadianImprezaWRX 2004 WRX
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:18:03 pm »
looks nice

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:24:19 am »
Awesome, glad you finally posted in this thread. Was wondering what was the ETA on this. :)

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:03:23 pm »
Thanks guys, and of course now that the engine is back together just in time for winter she is stored again! Don't drive it enough right now to justify insuring it haha.

In the spring it will roll out with a few more mods :).

Joel

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:41 pm »
Did a bit more work to the WRX a little while back. Decided to paint the calipers. Also going to be doing VC's and the intake manifold eventually, wanted to see how it looked first.

I think it looks fantastic, ymmv. Pictures outside washed the pink out a bit. It's VERY pink in person.

I used G2 Caliper paint. So far I'm really happy with the results, I'll do a review in spring when I see how it holds up.

Joel

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:04:45 pm »
Everybody loves photos. New items:

It has a bumper now  ;D. Needs a new one though. Cut out for fmic still  >:(.
Pink subaru starts badge (I'm seeing a trend on this car...)
Stock suspension
Got a couple more stickers

Also showcases my Greddy Evo 2 exhaust nicely.

Onto the pics!

Offline erlo

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: ETS
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:04:37 am »
Did you swap out the BC coilovers?

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:31:19 am »
Did you swap out the BC coilovers?

Yea I did. One is leaking pretty bad so I am going to send them in.