Author Topic: Blackvue DR400G HD v2 - In-car camera  (Read 2499 times)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
Blackvue DR400G HD v2 - In-car camera
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »
I was pointed to a group buy for the Blackvue DR400G HD v2 in-car camera, so I decided why not.
http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/BlackVue_DR400G_HD_v2.php

The specs and descriptions are on the site, go read them.
CN Specs:
1080p video recording
G sensor
GPS receiver
Microphone
Speaker
Some blinky lights
Uses microSD

The camera itself is nice. Compact compared to some others, seems to be well built.
Comes with a bracket to attach to your windshield with some doublesided tape, and various clips and tapes to hide wires.

The important stuff
There is a woman that talks to you and tells you things. This is a cool feature, since there is no screen on the device to tell you what's going on (current status)
Note: The woman can be turned off in the settings.

There are various LEDs that light up depending on status as well. GPS signal indicator, "recording" indicator, and the ring around the main power button changes color depending on what mode it's in. (Normal, Parking, Event)
Note: The LEDs can be turned off in the settings.

The camera has "modes", some of which utilize the onboard G sensor.
  • Normal - Normal recording
  • Parking - The camera will remain on, but only record if a) it sees motion, or 3) if the G sensor sees action (someone hits the car)
  • Event - The G sensor detects "force", like an accident.
Essentially these are all the same recordings, and there are no changes in the recordings themselves. However a status is applied to the video so that it can be easily picked out using the app (PC or android)

There are a lot of settings. A couple to point out are:
  • Resolution - There are lots of choices. They will change your available recording time on a 16gb card from 4hrs to 17hrs.
  • Unit size - The time of each recorded file before it moves on to another one. 1, 2, or 3 min. While this does mean that you will have a LOT of files (potentially 1 file per minute of recording, think about your 45 minute commute) you have to remember that this camera can do loop recording. See loop recording details below.

Loop recording - If your memory card runs out of space, the camera will overwrite the oldest files on record. (Note: This does NOT include "Event" recording. These are potentially special vids that you don't want overwritten.)
Because of this, the above detail about unit size (1, 2, 3 min) is good to know.
If it recorded your entire 45 minute commute into one file and ran out of space, you'd lose an entire file.
Using the above method, it will just overwrite minutes at a time.
Of note, this does mean that you'll need some sort of video stitcher to put these 1 minute clips together if you want to make a video of your commute. (At the time of this writing, I recommend avidemux. Open source, and quick as hell.)

There is an android app. You can take the microSD out of the camera and plug it into your phone if you have a microSD slot on your phone. (Yes, Google, I *do* in fact like external storage no matter how much you try and push "the cloud" on me)
The app allows you to watch the videos, and if you have a data connection, it will also tie in google maps in a small window in the corner.

It also allows you to change the firmware settings. (Firmware settings are changed on the SD, and then put into the camera to take effect. More on this later.)

There is a PC app that also allows you to do the above things.
Watch the vid with google maps, as well as look at the G sensor information.

Change settings.

Alright, now for the good stuff.
Recording at full 1080p, I find the quality of this camera's videos are outstanding. Crisp, clear, easy to see everything. Even at night you can pause the video, zoom in, and see a plate number.

Here are some samples.
Of note, at the time of this writing it was winter. No sunny days for miles around. I may come back and throw in a vid of a sunny day if I care to.
...I probably don't.
Also of note, these have been uploaded in 1080p. Switch to that view if you want to see the full potential.
Of note^2, my windshield is dirty. Yup, this is how I review things, people. Quality and pizazz. Cha cha cha.

Day, city.

Day, highway.

Night, city.

Night, highway.

As far as recording exposures, you can change a "Brightness" setting on the camera but that's about it.
Some people have played with adding filters in front of the lens.
This is way beyond what I care about.

As for mounting, I found a good spot on the window behind (in front of?) the rear view mirror that hides the camera from the driver. I didn't really want to see the thing.

I got some 3M velcro, and used that instead of the permanent tape.
I want to transfer the camera between cars. While the bracket is removable from the camera, I would need a 2nd bracket in the 2nd car. I don't have that, so the whole thing needs to be removable. Velcro.

I am currently using the cig lighter, so the cord is dangling down from the camera, in front of my radio, and into the cig socket.
This will be changed as soon as it's warm enough.
I plan to wire in a 12v socket into the roof console. The forester has multiple compartments in the roof console, all of which I never use. Shouldn't be any problem to tap into the 12v used by the homelink mirror (All 2002+ subarus have a plug in the roof for the powered mirror)
I'll update this post when I do so.

Final Thoughts

I really like the camera. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I don't have any real complaints.
It records nice video, it gets better GPS reception than my phone does, and I'm pretty sure the woman talking to me has a crush on me. We'll see where that heads when I give her a more reliable power supply.
There are some "quirks" to learning how it works, but you'll find that with any korean made product that has chinglish translations.
It is a well known fact (search the webernets) that the 16gb card that comes with the camera will fail. Buy a 32gb class 10 card off ebay/amazon for cheap and replace it ASAP.

4.5 / 5 grunts

I also plan to use the camera for autox recording. I'll update when that happens.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Blackvue DR400G HD v2 - Incar camera
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »
I've also mounted this in racekar to be used for autox vids.
1080p autox videos are great. It catches the sound nicely.

My only complaint would be that there's no "continuous recording" option.
I set the increment to 3 min vids which works for the shorter griesbach venue, but if you're wanting a 10 minute vid of stratotech then you'll have to stitch the videos together.
As well, it starts (and overlaps) a new video when it thinks there's been an accident due to G force changes. This is probably good for an actual accident on the street, but it makes for some difficult video identification and stitching for video from the track where G forces change all the time.

Here is a vid of a short autox course.
(remember to open it in youtube and watch the 1080p version)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Blackvue DR400G HD v2 - In-car camera
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »
Mounting complete, post #2.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:51:54 am »
 >:D

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 12:15:21 pm »
Solid writeup, I must say..
Realle dig that G shock sensor feature, Id buy it just for that!
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline evilspoons

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2012 STi, Sport-Tech, 5-door
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »
Thanks for the write-up, sounds like a pretty decent product. I've seen units that do most of this for a lot less money than what they're asking on their web site, but those units weren't exactly as compact. You've got me thinking about buying one now.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:08:51 pm »
Updates post 3 with action shots from an autox.