Author Topic: BBQ: Lets here some reviews/opinions  (Read 5981 times)

Offline Unoriginalusername

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2010 Subaru WRX STi
BBQ: Lets here some reviews/opinions
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:23 pm »
Hi guys so im currently in the middle of building a house, and something really important to me is a good grill for the backyard. Im not looking at something thats built in, but I do want to get a quality grill. During the summer months I will rarely cook inside the house, especially since I have put a gas range in the house, and would rather not heat up the house during hot days.

I've been mostly looking at weber Grills, but don't know anyone who has one other then my dad, he loves it, but would be nice to hear about other grills as well. I Have natural gas built into the deck, so a grill that can use natural gas is key, but I really am open to charcoal. I have been looking at getting a Big Green Egg instead of something thats natural gas.

Lets here it everyone, I know we have some really good cooks around here so Im hoping we have some lovers of the grill.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: BBQ: Lets here some reviews/opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:05:09 pm »
If you are looking at big green eggs look at primo as well. the oval junior or oval xl. I've been drooling over them for a long time but can't afford one.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline RallyX

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 05 STI, 98 Forester S/tb
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:26:38 pm »
After suffering through a couple of $300 "throwaway" bbq's I bucked up and bought a Weber Genesis for just under $1000 eight years ago and couldn't be happier.

It's still almost like new and just getting to the point where I"ll change the burners out this year because the little holes are getting corroded over.  The grills, firebox, stand, plastics everything is still in awesome shape and the ignitor still fires it up 1st click every time.  Besides cooking evenly and consistently it is very easy to clean and maintain.

I think currently there are more options similar to Weber, my point is just that you get what you pay for so don't cheap out.

Offline turbospeed

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2010 wrx ssm hatch
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:27:29 pm »
I bought a Napoleon natural gas an love it. Bought from BBQ country and used it at least 20 times

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 02:39:23 pm »
I was actually looking at the Weber Genesis, so its a high one on the list. Good to know people enjoy the grill.

Offline RallyX

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 05 STI, 98 Forester S/tb
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 02:51:51 pm »
To clarify I didn't want to come across as a Weber super-fanboy, I think there are other lines now (Napoleon as mentioned) that are giving some competition.  I think Broil King has stepped up their quality too in the middle-price bracket.

Offline big black dodge

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:52:42 pm »
After suffering through a couple of $300 "throwaway" bbq's I bucked up and bought a Weber Genesis for just under $1000 eight years ago and couldn't be happier.

It's still almost like new and just getting to the point where I"ll change the burners out this year because the little holes are getting corroded over.  The grills, firebox, stand, plastics everything is still in awesome shape and the ignitor still fires it up 1st click every time.  Besides cooking evenly and consistently it is very easy to clean and maintain.

I think currently there are more options similar to Weber, my point is just that you get what you pay for so don't cheap out.

both my brother and my father and law have the genesis - great quality, burn hot, don't rust - very nice

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:51:31 pm »
I've got a weber kettle grill and I love it. Cooking with charcoal can be more difficult and time consuming, but the results are so much better. I also have a baffle that I can install to turn it into a smoker. I've done full briskests, ribs and pulled pork butt and they all turned out amazing. Better than anything you can get in any restaurants around here.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline The Goat

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2011 STI Sedan WRB, 1997 JDM Forester S/TB
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 03:59:19 pm »
I was actually looking at the Weber Genesis, so its a high one on the list. Good to know people enjoy the grill.

I have a natural gas Weber Genesis I purchased 3+ years ago. It get hot fast and stays hot. The heat is a little uneven but better than most in the price range. Great BBQ I also got the 8mm stainless grill instead of enameled cast iron it cleans much easier and lasts a lot longer. The only one I would get over it is maybe a broil king.
"When there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire"

2011 GR STI
1997 S/TB Forester

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:45:03 pm »
I've got a Broil King. I was looking at the Webers but the Broil King was on sale so it was hard to justify going with the Weber at the time.

I've got no regrets though, it a great grill. Igniter fires up every time. Nice even heat. Its definitely a mid-range grill compared to some of the nice Webers or higher end grils... but for what I paid... its great.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 06:13:12 pm »
No one here has gone ceramic? they look so much more versatile than others.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:19:08 pm »
I have a Weber Genesis as well.  No complaints.  Wouldn't mind to replace it with a Traeger though.

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 07:53:00 am »
I've got a Broil King, and it gets used year round for the last 5 years. I need to change the burners out for new ones, and the porcelain coated grills need to be replaced, but considering the use, it's pretty good. I have 3 friends with the exact same grill, and they all love them.
You can't teach someone common sense

Times I've counted other people's counts in their sig: countless

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 09:18:08 am »
Thanks guy for all the reviews. I think I will head out today and check out some of the models, think home depot has most of them.

Anyone have any experience with Ceramic ones like the Big green egg? Or even know who carries them some what locally so I can check them out in person.

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 10:52:14 am »
Bar B Q's Galore is the only place I've been able to lust after a Big Green Egg in person at. Not sure if you have one in RD though. I don't have any exp. with them other than a large degree of want  :D

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 11:02:18 am »
Hahaha yeah I love to BBQ, and i love how easy to is to use a gas grill, but when I was down in florida at Daytona 500, a bunch of people where tail gaiting using charcoal and it tastes so great! And it really makes me want one!

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 11:30:57 am »
Do you ever use your BBQ for smoking? Now we're talking some proper Southern BBQ  ;)

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 11:38:05 am »
No I havnt, the father in Law does smoke, and its always amazing! So the idea of getting a Big green egg really is appealing to me. I did have some good southern BBQ when i was down in Florida tho.

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 11:51:30 am »
I've smoked in my Broil King quite a bit, and it always turned out great. Just graduated last year to a Bradley electric smoker, and so far so good. On the list for this summer is a brisket and a pork butt. Can't wait.

This is a deer roast I smoked 2 summers ago in my Broil King:

There was none left.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:02:48 pm »
I've done lots of pork butt in my little smoker box, always turns out awesome. BUT the best thing I ever made was a rib eye roast. med. rare, juicy smoky, delicious. I made it for my birthday dinner along with homemade cornbread and caramel apple cake..... I like to cook :)

I've also smoked a whole chicken, ribs, salmon, sausages, even hotdogs hah I want to do a whole turkey but I need to step up to ceramic to fit it in.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:33 pm »
^ sounds awesome. In my next life, I'll be building a trailer mount smoker to do the big stuff. Ribs and trout have been my faves so far in the smoker.

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 12:41:11 pm »
Man I gotta hang out with you guys! Looks amazing, and sounds even better

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 01:54:37 pm »
I want to do a whole turkey but I need to step up to ceramic to fit it in.

Smoked turkey is amazing. 

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »
i think there are three alternatives to the big green egg. i know one is called the Komodo and they can be found for about 300-600 i think.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 02:46:52 pm »
I have a couple of friends back in Ontario with Big Green Eggs and they swear by them.

The best BBQ I've used has been a Vermont Castings grill at Hidden Ridge Resort in Banff. It had the most even heat distrobution I've ever come across and the grill itself was really nice. The salmon that came off it was perfect and it didn't stick at all.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere