Author Topic: 2015 WRX Cat Back systems. Invidea v STI system  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Blue Monday

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 WRX 265 Hatchback
2015 WRX Cat Back systems. Invidea v STI system
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:44:10 pm »
So, as a result of the collision to the rear of the WRX requiring a replacement muffler I am likely going to take the opportunity to pay the difference and upgrade to a cat back system, I've narrowed it down to either the Invidea Q300, or the Subaru supplied STI cat back for the WRX, I've found plenty of sound file of the Q300 but there's not so many quality clips of the STI system on the WRX so I can't tell how much louder it is.

Other systems such as Cobb are too expensive so of the list.
If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
Re: 2015 WRX Cat Back systems. Invidea v STI system
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:03 pm »
So, as a result of the collision to the rear of the WRX requiring a replacement muffler I am likely going to take the opportunity to pay the difference and upgrade to a cat back system, I've narrowed it down to either the Invidea Q300, or the Subaru supplied STI cat back for the WRX, I've found plenty of sound file of the Q300 but there's not so many quality clips of the STI system on the WRX so I can't tell how much louder it is.

Other systems such as Cobb are too expensive so of the list.

So... is this a review? Are you asking a question?

What's going on here?
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:58:23 pm »
Do you just want a review of the STI exhaust? I'm not sure if anyone else on WSC has it installed aside from me.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Blue Monday

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:26:30 pm »
So... is this a review? Are you asking a question?

What's going on here?

It was a question, about the two different systems, I'm was wondering if the STI system gave a nice but not too load noise as there's not many decent clips on you-tube of the noise it makes under acceleration.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:52:16 pm »
It was a question, about the two different systems

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 12:37:08 am »
Even as a question, this is so subjective that it's hard to give any meaningful advice. What's too "load" for you? What's a nice sound? Find somebody with the exhaust you're interested in and see if they'll let you listen to their car in person.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline MustangSVT

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: GR STI Hatch
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 10:58:58 am »
It was a question, about the two different systems, I'm was wondering if the STI system gave a nice but not too load noise as there's not many decent clips on you-tube of the noise it makes under acceleration.
I have the Invidia Q300 on my STI, and I used to have the stock STI exhaust.  The difference is pretty huge between the two.  The STI exhaust is what I would call, relatively quiet.  I mean it sounds decent, but certainly does not compare to aftermarket exhausts in general.  The Q300 is a LOT louder, albeit not super loud by aftermarket exhaust standards, and has a much more aggressive/throaty tone when you step on it.  Most people don't put the STI exhaust on their car cause it probably won't sound any different than your stock WRX exhaust (I am going to guess that the WRX and STI exhausts are pretty much the same, or almost the same??).
Life is too short to be angry.  Eat some cake, go for a ride, be happy.

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »
I have the Invidia Q300 on my STI, and I used to have the stock STI exhaust.  The difference is pretty huge between the two.  The STI exhaust is what I would call, relatively quiet.  I mean it sounds decent, but certainly does not compare to aftermarket exhausts in general.  The Q300 is a LOT louder, albeit not super loud by aftermarket exhaust standards, and has a much more aggressive/throaty tone when you step on it.  Most people don't put the STI exhaust on their car cause it probably won't sound any different than your stock WRX exhaust (I am going to guess that the WRX and STI exhausts are pretty much the same, or almost the same??).

GR hatch =\= VA Sedan

1) I'd imagine exhaust noise is more prominent in a hatch vs sedan
2) Turbo position has change, so the exhaust setup is different, biggest difference being UEL vs EL headers, and lack of a big downpipe.

In a nutshell, for the next little while, any VA owner who does performance/sound/rice mods is going into unknown territory.  So any definitive information is going to be hard to come by.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 01:02:35 pm »
Yeah, the 2015 WRX is completely different from any previous WRX or STI.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 05:38:22 pm »
Most people don't put the STI exhaust on their car cause it probably won't sound any different than your stock WRX exhaust (I am going to guess that the WRX and STI exhausts are pretty much the same, or almost the same??).

Negative. The VA WRX and STI share an axle back setup from the factory, different turbo locations mean the cat-axle section is different. the STI exhaust you can get for the WRX is a full catback system designed by STI, strictly for the WRX. It's nothing like the stock STI exhaust. It's like a true aftermarket exhaust: bigger diameter piping, smaller mufflers, bigger tips, louder, throatier, et cetera. LDS can attest, it sounds pretty good.

Stock WRX:

Stock STI:

STI for WRX

Yeah, the 2015 WRX is completely different from any previous WRX or STI.

Correctamundo. The different turbo location means that older catback systems will not work on the VA WRX, however GV cat back systems have been put onto VA STI's I believe. YMMV

GR hatch =\= VA Sedan

1) I'd imagine exhaust noise is more prominent in a hatch vs sedan
2) Turbo position has change, so the exhaust setup is different, biggest difference being UEL vs EL headers, and lack of a big downpipe.

In a nutshell, for the next little while, any VA owner who does performance/sound/rice mods is going into unknown territory.  So any definitive information is going to be hard to come by.

GR OR GV =\= VA WRX

2) Biggest difference isn't necessarily the fact that the headers are UEL, but the fact that the exhaust exists from the engine bay in a totally different location than from an EJ equipped car.

This image shows an EJ setup on the left, and an FA setup on the right. Headers, turbo, cat.

EJ from the front:

FA from the front:

#educatethepeople
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 05:49:59 pm »
This picture makes me shake my head at Subaru.

If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:47 pm »
This picture makes me shake my head at Subaru.

Dat EJ design is pretty terrible...

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 06:32:29 pm »
Dat EJ design is pretty terrible...

I wouldn't say the new exhaust design is any better.
Faster turbo response is great, but at what cost now?
I've been hearing from new wrx owners about scraping that skidplate on the lowest driveway entrances and speedbumps.
And the low turbo means longer piping to the intercooler.

FMIC and flipping the intake manifold would have been a much better improvement.

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 10:05:26 pm »
FMIC and flipping the intake manifold would have been a much better improvement.

but... but... hood scoop! First they take away the rumble, then the hood scoop? WHAT'S NEXT? AERODYNAMICS THAT DON'T IMITATE A BRICK HOUSE? OH THE HUGE MANATEES! WHEN WILL IT STOP!?

Offline MustangSVT

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: GR STI Hatch
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 04:42:00 pm »
Negative. The VA WRX and STI share an axle back setup from the factory, different turbo locations mean the cat-axle section is different. the STI exhaust you can get for the WRX is a full catback system designed by STI, strictly for the WRX. It's nothing like the stock STI exhaust. It's like a true aftermarket exhaust: bigger diameter piping, smaller mufflers, bigger tips, louder, throatier, et cetera. LDS can attest, it sounds pretty good.
I still don't think it sounds like a true aftermarket exhaust (at least based on what I heard), but I may well be wrong, after all I don't have one.  I assumed OP had done his research and that presumably the Q300 is compatible with the new WRX, but it sounds like that isn't the case at all, but rather than the new WRX is new territory as your post describes.  My original post/opinion still stands, I'm pretty sure that no "stock STI exhaust" sounds anything like the Q300, whether it's a '14 STI or a '15 STI, but it appears there is no Q300 for the new WRX, so the point is moot.  My advice to OP, take note of what Rathburn said and I guess gotta do more research on what exhausts are out there for new one (if there even is one?!).
Life is too short to be angry.  Eat some cake, go for a ride, be happy.

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 04:46:06 pm »
I still don't think it sounds like a true aftermarket exhaust (at least based on what I heard), but I may well be wrong, after all I don't have one.  I assumed OP had done his research and that presumably the Q300 is compatible with the new WRX, but it sounds like that isn't the case at all, but rather than the new WRX is new territory as your post describes.  My original post/opinion still stands, I'm pretty sure that no "stock STI exhaust" sounds anything like the Q300, whether it's a '14 STI or a '15 STI, but it appears there is no Q300 for the new WRX, so the point is moot.  My advice to OP, take note of what Rathburn said and I guess gotta do more research on what exhausts are out there for new one (if there even is one?!).

If OP had done his research like you assume, he probably would have concluded that in general "factory aftermarket" exhaust would not sound as loud/rumbly/grumbly/BAAAAAARP as a true aftermarket system, much like you know.  Then again, he also confused the torsion bars on his trunk with the car's suspension.... so baby steps I guess.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 05:26:03 pm »

It's not gonna sound the same as the Q300 on your older STI or WRX, but it sounds miles better then the older "factory aftermarket" STI or SPT systems. It also sounds different because it's got equal length headers. In my own opinion, I think it sounds great. If you haven't heard it in person, I don't think your opinion carries much weight at all.

Your original opinion is fine, but it's irrelevant, this isn't a "stock STI exhaust". It doesn't look like there is a Q300 option on the Invidia website yet, but the picture here  http://www.invidia-usa.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=304 seems to show a WRX based on the wheels, and the lack of a wing (no base STI sold in the US, though it could be a trunk swap).

Yes, OP needs to do more research.

Offline headless13

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2015 Crystal White Pearl WRX
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 03:07:27 am »
There sure is q300 available for the 2015 wrx, as well an an N1 along with a few other options from other companies. Oh what's that there is also a high quality sound clip for each one (barring the spt exhaust). Who woulda thunk it.   O0

http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx/exhaust/cat-back.html

Offline Blue Monday

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 05:47:47 pm »
If OP had done his research like you assume, he probably would have concluded that in general "factory aftermarket" exhaust would not sound as loud/rumbly/grumbly/BAAAAAARP as a true aftermarket system, much like you know.  Then again, he also confused the torsion bars on his trunk with the car's suspension.... so baby steps I guess.

LoL, looking at the reply following makes you a bit of a Muppet too, maybe you should have done more research too.  :haplo90:

as for the research, I found plenty of 2015WRX q300 clips but the STI (formally called spt) exhaust  clips are thin on the ground.

Back onto the original subject the, cars still in the shop but I think I'm going to go with the Subaru supplied Cat back, I need to decide this week.

on Another note.
Even as a question, this is so subjective that it's hard to give any meaningful advice. What's too "load" for you? What's a nice sound? Find somebody with the exhaust you're interested in and see if they'll let you listen to their car in person.

Never thought I would but I agree with you, youtube can't replace hearing it in person.

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 06:16:00 pm »
LoL, looking at the reply following makes you a bit of a Muppet too, maybe you should have done more research too.  :haplo90:

A muppet of what? Common sense? Literacy?

You're asking questions about a car that aftermarket companies have had barely half a year to work on.  The answers you're looking for and will get will be unclear at best.  Rathburn has been the only person who posted here that has put an aftermarket catback on his '15 WRX.  While his opinion is valid, a sample population of one isn't big enough for me.  If you want to continue to pave the way, buy a STI exhaust and REVIEW it like this subforum was made for, go for it.  I look forward to hearing more opinions on aftermarket components for this car. 

So far, this entire thread belongs in Modification Ideas.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
So far, this entire thread belongs in Modification Ideas.

Agreed

If you're looking for more reviews, Blue Monday, check NASIOC; much higher population of people with 2015 WRX's, modified or otherwise, than WSC.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2621711

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 09:06:15 am »

Stock WRX:

Stock STI:

STI for WRX

Correctamundo. The different turbo location means that older catback systems will not work on the VA WRX, however GV cat back systems have been put onto VA STI's I believe. YMMV

GR OR GV =\= VA WRX

2) Biggest difference isn't necessarily the fact that the headers are UEL, but the fact that the exhaust exists from the engine bay in a totally different location than from an EJ equipped car.

This image shows an EJ setup on the left, and an FA setup on the right. Headers, turbo, cat.

EJ from the front:

FA from the front:

#educatethepeople

I bumped this thread because I was pretty sure the VA and GV catback systems weren't compatible. I started to reply to a FS ad saying as much only to see that the owner actually has a VA. I deleted my response.

The ad "Tsudo Catback Exhaust 2011-2017 Wrx or Sti $550" (which seems like a decent price, BTW and GLWS):
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=52818.0

Now I'm off to do more reading on NASIOC.