Author Topic: cha0tik's 2016 WRX - Spring oil change  (Read 9514 times)

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '22 Venza | '03 S2K
Re: cha0tik's 2016 WRX - Winter mode
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2015, 08:56:48 am »
Another thing that came to my mind was also the brake fluid that they use at the dealerships. I'm tempted to think that they used Genuine Subaru Brake Fluid on my car and that perhaps the car was filled with Motul fluid at the factory.

Not sure if this would have a significant effect on brake/clutch feel. I booked an appointment with them next week to have the whole system re-bled again, citing safety concerns. I made sure to let the lady know that I expect this to be done free of charge, as the initial appointment for the MC fell under "warranty work", and I'm not about to start paying for subpar labour. I'm also tempted to bring in some Endless fluid or at least have them use Motul this time around.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2015, 09:29:43 am »
The brake fluid used should make zero difference in pedal feel unless you're lapping at a track, in which case the standard fluid will start boiling at a lower temp. Over a long time, they can feel a bit different too depending on how much moisture they absorb, but with a fresh fill, they would be indistinguishable. Any difference in feel will be due to air in the system. It should be noted that a little bit of air in the system will add a softness to the pedal (and longer travel) but without letting the pedal sink all the way to the floor, as the air can only be compressed so much. If there was a LOT of air in there, it would go to the floor. So chances are with a pretty quick system bleed, it should be back to normal. Good luck!

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2015, 09:42:27 am »
The brake fluid used should make zero difference in pedal feel unless you're lapping at a track, in which case the standard fluid will start boiling at a lower temp. Over a long time, they can feel a bit different too depending on how much moisture they absorb, but with a fresh fill, they would be indistinguishable. Any difference in feel will be due to air in the system. It should be noted that a little bit of air in the system will add a softness to the pedal (and longer travel) but without letting the pedal sink all the way to the floor, as the air can only be compressed so much. If there was a LOT of air in there, it would go to the floor. So chances are with a pretty quick system bleed, it should be back to normal. Good luck!

Thanks for the confidence boost! Hope all goes well next week. I've been pretty disheartened the past few days  :(
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2015, 02:43:44 pm »
Brake fluid is brake fluid, pretty much.

To expand on Rad Racer's excellent answer, generally with the performance brake fluids like ATE Super or Ford 500 or Motul you get a higher boiling point at the expense of a shorter life of the fluid (before it absorbs too much water and is effectively dead while it happily eats your brake lines). I assume there's a little bit of variance due to composition so it's not exactly a linear line.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 07:08:26 am »
How's your car doing now, since the issues with the brakes and pedal?? 

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 07:13:11 am »
I've been planning a write-up of the entire fiasco that took place during my second visit at Subaru City. I swear, I think it's impossible for those guys to do something right from beginning to end.

Long story short, brakes and clutch still aren't bled, but pedal feel is somewhat better (firmer) since they installed the pedal assembly (without even telling me it had arrived or that they were gonna do it).
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2016, 11:08:47 am »
A bit of an update, after the whole brake MC misdiagnosis at Subaru City.

Despite Subaru City NOT having bled my system as per my request during my second visit there (after having cited safety reasons for it), I have driven the car as it was until a few days ago. The new pedal assembly that was installed during my second visit there stiffened up things a bit, but in warmer temps, the pedal feel was still sort of mushy and soft. When I mention warmer temps, I'm referring to how the pedal felt after having the car parked in my room-temp underground garage overnight.

Fast-forward to a few days ago and it just so happened that I would be in Calgary for a few days. I figured this would be a good opportunity to have Vex bleed the system with Endless fluid as well as install some Endless SSY pads along with some Goodridge Phantom lines, which I provided (going on SubiSpeed's recommendation that they'd fit the 2015+ WRXs). I was told that the rear Goodridge lines did not fit exactly like the stock ones did, meaning that there's less of a bend which might put some tension on the lines. The hoses and their corresponding fittings are made of pretty durable materials, so I'm pretty confident that the rear lines won't give me any grief.

After the lines and new pads were installed along with the system being bled, I can say right off the bat that brake pedal feel is 100% better. I broke in the pads as per the outlined procedure to the best of my ability, and they can't even be compared to the stock ones. I barely depress the brake pedal and I feel them grabbing.

However, on the clutch note, the pedal feel is still sort of mushy and soft, even more so after the car is parked overnight. Along with that, I noticed that while driving in colder weather and shifting, the clutch pedal has a harder time coming back up to its resting position. Ryan @ Vex has kindly agreed to re-bleed the clutch slave one more time (free of charge), to be certain that there is no air trapped in there.

I'm not sure if this has to do with the fact that the reservoir is shared between the brake and clutch MC on the new gen WRXs, making the bleeding process a bit more of a pain and more susceptible to getting air in the system. On the other hand, if the clutch pedal is still on the soft side after the second bleed at Vex, I'm going to go on a limb and say that the clutch slave will probably need replacement.

That's about it for the "short" update. I have updated the first post as well, to reflect everything that has been done to the car since my last update a while back.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: cha0tik's 2016 WRX - Brake system update
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2016, 09:10:46 am »
Finally put the recently ordered Bosch wipers on the car. After everything was said and done, I noticed the passenger wiper to be ~1" shorter than the previous stock one. At least that's what was indicated by the streak mark.

Kinda weird seeing how the specifications mention 26" for the driver's side and 16" for the passenger side, which is exactly what I ordered.

Anyone else with this "problem" on the 2015+ WRXs?
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2016, 09:11:49 am »
I never noticed this when I replaced my oem wipers with the Michelin stealth.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2016, 09:26:50 am »
I never noticed this when I replaced my oem wipers with the Michelin stealth.

Did you order 26" and 16" as well? If so, it's possible that it is a Bosch thing.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2016, 09:51:22 am »
Those are the sizes I got.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2016, 01:52:45 pm »
If you ever upgrade to the JDM armrest extension let me know so I can buy your standard extension.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2016, 02:29:47 pm »
I might return to the original OEM cover that came with the car from Japan. I find that since most of my driving is city, I don't use it as often as I'd like. I'll definitely let you know when I swap it out.

Probably sometime in the Spring.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2016, 02:39:08 pm »
Vex just rebled the clutch slave one more time this morning, free of charge as mentioned before. Clutch does feel noticeably better and engagement point is back to normal.

On another note, I'm not digging these Bosch wipers I ordered from that Amazon sale. Less than a month of usage and they're already streaking like crazy. I might just spend the extra bucks and go for the Icons. Those have never failed me.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2016, 02:42:04 pm »
Vex just rebled the clutch slave one more time this morning, free of charge as mentioned before. Clutch does feel noticeably better and engagement point is back to normal.

On another note, I'm not digging these Bosch wipers I ordered from that Amazon sale. Less than a month of usage and they're already streaking like crazy. I might just spend the extra bucks and go for the Icons. Those have never failed me.

Costco Michelins are still performing very well for me. On my second set of Bosch for the wifes daily and they are holding up well.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »
I'll give the Michelins a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Costco is 5 min away from my house and I'm headed there anyway.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2016, 07:14:51 pm »
You wipe off your blades with a cloth? Schmutz can get stuck on even the best ones and make them streaky.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2016, 11:23:23 am »
I'll actually give that a try later today. Just have to find a cloth, as I'm currently not home.

On another note, while on my recent trip to Calgary, I was able to use Top Gear Carwash as suggested in Kijho's thread. Awesome place, from how you pay for the wash to the actual wand wash itself. I really do hope they stay in business so that they can perhaps open more locations like this one. Maybe even in Edmonton?  :angel:

I've included some recent pictures below (since I know this thread has been lacking in that department) and I've also updated my build list on the front page.

Pre and post-wash:

A mileage milestone I hit a little while back:
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2016, 12:23:46 pm »
You were down here in Calgary 2 mins. from my house and didn't meetup with me for a photo op!!!  >:( >:( >:( ;D

Looks really good though, typical girlfriend in the passenger seat bored texting on phone while you drool over the freshly cleaned car and snap the same front end car wash photo for the 100th time ;D ;D

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2016, 01:05:51 pm »
You were down here in Calgary 2 mins. from my house and didn't meetup with me for a photo op!!!  >:( >:( >:( ;D

Looks really good though, typical girlfriend in the passenger seat bored texting on phone while you drool over the freshly cleaned car and snap the same front end car wash photo for the 100th time ;D ;D

Haha spot on. She'd agree with you 100%!

And I'm still in Calgary til tomorrow morning, I can definitely drive up there again (even tonight). I need to pass through the North in my way to Edmonton too.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

DaDuke99

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2016, 02:14:26 pm »
If you guys end up going for a shoot or something let me know! (Spencer)
I live like a block away from him haha, I'll bring my camera too  :)

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2016, 12:50:47 pm »
Didn't have time to stop by the car wash again, as the weekend became super packed and I also had to make the trip up North on Sunday. I'll definitely be back in Calgary soon though.

On the way back up North, had a small rock hit the windshield as an F350 dually with stacks was frantically passing me on the highway yesterday. So far it's nothing more than a chip and I really hope it doesn't spread. Will have to head over to Crystal Glass the first chance I get. I DO NOT want to replace a windshield right now.

There was justice however, as I saw him pulled over by a ghost RCMP cruiser shortly after.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2016, 11:38:12 am »
Wow! I guess it's been a while since I wrote on here as there haven't been any developments on the car itself. I've been DD-ing it and recently hit 15k km. The car hasn't broken a sweat so far and it's performing great. It IS due for a full spring cleaning however.

I guess some recent "updates" would include the recent recall I've discovered that seems to affect some 2016 WRXs (mine is included). I will have to patiently wait to receive an official letter before I finally have it remedied.

Other than that, while getting in the car yesterday, I also noticed that my driver side seat belt buckle seems unusually loose, as it wobbles from side to side. I noticed this as I was trying to buckle the actual seat belt in. Not sure if I should have it looked at or just open it up myself and tighten a bolt or something. Has anyone noticed this happening on their 2015/2016 WRX?
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2016, 02:12:29 pm »
Monthly update time!

Went in for the recall and it turns out my manufacture date was June 2015 for the duct. I guess I dodged that bullet.

Other than that, having driven this car a lot more than my STI, I am finally fully realizing how soft Subaru paint really is... My car is riddled with chips and scratches. The "new and improved" OEM Subaru paint pen is actually miles better than before. Let's just hope the paint holds on to the car once I wash it.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2016, 08:12:18 pm »
Picked up a couple cases of the rare PuP from fellow WSC-er hunts_13. Thanks again man!
I'm definitely looking forward to changing the oil and seeing how the car runs on this.

My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.