Author Topic: 2016 Biking Thread  (Read 15894 times)

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
Re: 2016 Biking Thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 09:38:57 am »
My goal is to sell the Stinky and get a more aggressive XC bike so I can go riding with my buddies. Thanks for reminding me I need to make an ad lol

hah just did this same thing but with an operator.

Pretty happy with the results.

And I got my girlfriend to spring on a Transition Syren.
Goals are to pedal more around town. Get g/f into downhill (without ever specifically mentioning downhill). Ride Kamloops a lot.

Considering buying a commuter, seems like cyclocross is maybe the way to go. Looking at Kona Jakes makes me feel funny in my no-no zone.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 10:05:46 am »
hah just did this same thing but with an operator.

Pretty happy with the results.

And I got my girlfriend to spring on a Transition Syren.
Goals are to pedal more around town. Get g/f into downhill (without ever specifically mentioning downhill). Ride Kamloops a lot.

Considering buying a commuter, seems like cyclocross is maybe the way to go. Looking at Kona Jakes makes me feel funny in my no-no zone.

Damn, that’s gorgeous, looks $$$ lol. Actually, my gf and I were wandering downtown yesterday and went into a bike shop to look around. She saw some of the prices and I don’t know if that’s ever going to happen. I pointed out a hardtail for ~$1000 and she thought it was really expensive. But she’s never biked anything by paved paths on her CT bike, so I’m hoping to take her on some trails through Canmore which should warm her up to the idea.

As for myself, once the Stinky sells I’ll be looking for an EX bike. Kona had a really nice one last season for ~$2100 I believe, but can’t recall the name. The specs looked solid for the price, and it got excellent reviews. I was leaning that way, or something used. Now that I have a roof rack, I plan on getting a lot of riding in this summer.

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 10:14:13 am »
wow, nice bikes guys. Out of my league..lol.

I'm also trying to find a CX bike for commuting. Can't justify the price of new, but also can't find any XL for sale used (at least in my budget).
Jeff

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 10:19:01 am »
thanks, pretty excited to get on it.
These things are big $$$ but I somehow got an amazing deal through a friend of a friend who knows the guy who started knolly out of his garage in vancouver.
Been looking for a Chili that wasnt $6000 for a 3 years..

Side note: anyone have an old road bike or a cyclocross bike for the $150 range kicking around?
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:53 am »
uckfaying-A man.. I have a 26" Endorphin.. maybe you can get your buddy to get me one of the new 27.5" Endorphins..

;)
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »
mmmmm NS Bikes..... >:D

is that white on raw or silver paint?
It's brushed aluminum clear coated.  The other color with the black and green was polished and clear coated.  I liked this one more,  the blue is actually much darker in person as well. 

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 11:43:36 am »
So, I'm looking at a couple options to get myself into a used AM or Enduro style bike. My plan is to sell my 2014 Giant Talon 2 27.5 and my Black MRKT Riot, custom built with a Rock Shox Argyle 409 fork, XT cranks, single Shimano Saint rear disc, single speed, Revolution wheels, and some other goodies.

I've spent some time on Pinkbike looking at prices but wanted to get some feedback on what these bikes might be worth?

Appreciate any feedback!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 08:58:28 pm »
If you can score something like a Giant Reign or the Ghost Cagua or Transition covert.  We are opening a new store in Kelowna soon might be worth checking out

Budget is going be like 1500 to 2k for anything descent 

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 11:16:20 pm »
If you can score something like a Giant Reign or the Ghost Cagua or Transition covert.  We are opening a new store in Kelowna soon might be worth checking out

Budget is going be like 1500 to 2k for anything descent

I've mostly been looking at Giant Reign/X just because I'm familiar with their stuff and I like the Maestro suspension. I'm thinking the high end of my budget will be $1500, which seems to put me in the market for 2010-2012 models.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 08:58:34 am »
I've mostly been looking at Giant Reign/X just because I'm familiar with their stuff and I like the Maestro suspension. I'm thinking the high end of my budget will be $1500, which seems to put me in the market for 2010-2012 models.

I have the Giant Reign X2 (2012 i think) and I've really enjoyed it. The only changes I have made are a dropper post and a DHX 5.0 with a smaller volume air can on the back and is nice a plush now. It climbs pretty well (better if I was in up-hill-biking shape) and is pretty nimble. The brakes would be fine for someone your size but are a little under powered for me if there is a lot of speed involved. With that being said, it did survive a day at SilverStar and some laps in Revy.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 05:43:53 pm »

Fork showed up today! Not bad for free shipping from Ireland and having just ordered it Sunday night. I did get hammered with $70 worth of GST, Duty and other fees/rape from DHL but I wasn't going to wait till Monday to go clear it myself and then have to go to DHL to pick it up so screw it.

Still need to pick out some brakes for it and am leaning towards dome Dee brakes. May spluge and get some Saints or something else but these should suffice for all mountain duty and don't want to buy something too oddball like Hopes just due to the fact I tend so snap off levers and Shimano parts are much more easily/quickly available. Has anybody ridden both Dee and Saint who can compare the performance difference?
For tires I am thinking some Maxxis High Rollers as I am familiar with them and know they wont be terrible like I find allot of tires and can still find them in 26". And will get some other odds and ends like new seat, seatpost, clamp, bars, stem gips/etc. Some of which will be borrowed from the hardtail for now so I can ride the thing before I spend another few grand on it.
I have been putting unnecessary parts on my hard tail the last 2 years with intentions of swapping them to a big bike such as Saint cranks and pedals, Saint shifter, Zee derailleur, XT cassette. There's a SunRingle and Mavic 729 wheelset on the hardtail which will suit this bike nicely so those will be robbed and replaced with something else.
I can't wait to get this thing finished and out for a ride  >:D

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 07:12:32 pm »

Fork showed up today! Not bad for free shipping from Ireland and having just ordered it Sunday night. I did get hammered with $70 worth of GST, Duty and other fees/rape from DHL but I wasn't going to wait till Monday to go clear it myself and then have to go to DHL to pick it up so screw it.

Still need to pick out some brakes for it and am leaning towards dome Dee brakes. May spluge and get some Saints or something else but these should suffice for all mountain duty and don't want to buy something too oddball like Hopes just due to the fact I tend so snap off levers and Shimano parts are much more easily/quickly available. Has anybody ridden both Dee and Saint who can compare the performance difference?
For tires I am thinking some Maxxis High Rollers as I am familiar with them and know they wont be terrible like I find allot of tires and can still find them in 26". And will get some other odds and ends like new seat, seatpost, clamp, bars, stem gips/etc. Some of which will be borrowed from the hardtail for now so I can ride the thing before I spend another few grand on it.
I have been putting unnecessary parts on my hard tail the last 2 years with intentions of swapping them to a big bike such as Saint cranks and pedals, Saint shifter, Zee derailleur, XT cassette. There's a SunRingle and Mavic 729 wheelset on the hardtail which will suit this bike nicely so those will be robbed and replaced with something else.
I can't wait to get this thing finished and out for a ride  >:D

The new Zee and Saint stuff is sweet. I have also been digging my new M8000 XT brakes. 

Saint has more lever adjustments like free stroke. Even the hose is different as to better disperse heat. Both ceramic pistons -  for the cash riding both i would get the zee if you are set of a 4 piston brake
http://www.tbsbikeparts.com/shimano-zee-m640-brakes/

The M8000 XT stuff has still a crazy amount of power but less weight and more adjustment and for the same price as the Zee's on this canadian site
http://www.tbsbikeparts.com/shimano-xt-m8000-brakes/

Bikes looking sharp !!

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2016, 10:58:44 pm »
I ran Saint m810s last season, close to 30 riding days on my DH bike. Lots of power, good modulation, easy to adjust.
But they are a itchbay to properly bleed. If the bleed isn't 100% perfect, they become inconsistent in their bite point. From perfect in one corner, almost to the bars the next, near instant the next, to completely normal for the next 3 runs. I had to slow my riding down because I never knew if an aggressive stop was going to go according to plan, or if tires were going to lock up.

When they are properly bled, they're great. Fantastic even
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 09:06:37 am »
Thanks for the input on the brakes guys. Not dead set on going 4 pistons brakes so I'll take a look at the XT's as well as while I'm not overly concerned about weight I would like to keep it from being a tank and should try and shave where I can get away with it.
What are you all running for tires?  I used to need to run soft compounds with big spaced out lugs for mud and slickrock back on the east coast but conditions here are very different and sure there are better options for the dryer hardpack ground. I know its a hugely personal preference but some ideas would be helpfull.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 09:41:39 am »
I ran Saint m810s last season, close to 30 riding days on my DH bike. Lots of power, good modulation, easy to adjust.
But they are a itchbay to properly bleed. If the bleed isn't 100% perfect, they become inconsistent in their bite point. From perfect in one corner, almost to the bars the next, near instant the next, to completely normal for the next 3 runs. I had to slow my riding down because I never knew if an aggressive stop was going to go according to plan, or if tires were going to lock up.

This!! The same problem exists with the Zees as well. What tricks and tips do you guys have for a 100% bleed? I've done the shimano way and an avid/shimano hybrid and still can't get them 100%.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 11:31:12 am »
The focus has been on Shimano stuff, but have you considered any of Sram's new stuff? They redesigned the master cylinder so the bleed issues of the old Avid design are gone. I haven't got a ton of miles on my new Guide's, but my first impressions are that they have plenty of stopping power, excellent modulation, and control.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 12:01:05 pm »
I considered them because I've always used their bb7's on my dirt jump bike and are amazing for a 160mm mechanical disc but my biggest problems with them are the price and the levers look horribly ugly. Every site I've looked at they are more expensive than Saints and as vain as it sounds, levers are one of the few parts of my bike I have to stare at all day and I don't want to have to look at those lol. I don't think I have ever ridden a bike with them and could be amazing brakes but just aren't as appealing to me as other options, especially for the $$.
I also just want to stay with as much of the same Grouppo(s) that I can which is why I'm leaning towards Saint or maybe Dee or XT's as that's what I already have for the rest of the components.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 10:44:34 am »

The Saint system if not pretty much bang on can have the lag factor.  Every Brake pad change on my DH bike included a bleed with cleaning out the pistons and lubricating the seals lots of heat goes into them and its easier to do the maintenance then to cough up for a new caliper. Proper break in on the pads was pretty critical as well making sure the pads are bedding into the rotor will change the behavior of the brake and less noise.  Bleeds were always conducted using a bleed block and with the brake line mostly detached from the frame to prevent air pockets and to keep the caliper as low as possible in relation to the lever.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 10:20:13 am »
everyone watch my banger edit.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »
The new Zee and Saint stuff is sweet. I have also been digging my new M8000 XT brakes. 

Saint has more lever adjustments like free stroke. Even the hose is different as to better disperse heat. Both ceramic pistons -  for the cash riding both i would get the zee if you are set of a 4 piston brake
http://www.tbsbikeparts.com/shimano-zee-m640-brakes/

The M8000 XT stuff has still a crazy amount of power but less weight and more adjustment and for the same price as the Zee's on this canadian site
http://www.tbsbikeparts.com/shimano-xt-m8000-brakes/

Bikes looking sharp !!

Did some reading on the XT's and figure are more appropriate for a "trail/enduro" bike which is guess is what this is shaping up to be now.  With the 180mm rotors and the fancy pads with cooling fins I spec'd them with they will be able to handle some resort riding which is the most "DH" I will be doing and help keep the weight down for 95% of the time a set of four piston brakes will be overkill.
Was considering a dropper post but they are $$ and have already spent more than planned on this thing so just went with a Racface Turbine post, Hope QR clamp (blue ano) and Nukeproof saddle which are all in the mail as well.  The only other things I am buying for it this year are some tires when I decide what I want and once its built and get a few rides in on it with my old bar and stem I'll buy something newer and lighter once I determine what rise and lenth will work best with it.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 08:16:49 pm »
The Nukeproof dropper posts are on sale on Chainreactioncycles.com. I don't know how well they perform but a dropper post will change your world.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 09:36:57 pm »
The Nukeproof dropper posts are on sale on Chainreactioncycles.com. I don't know how well they perform but a dropper post will change your world.
That's what everybody keeps telling me but I don't know what I'm missing out on yet so can live another year without one lol. I'll end up buying one for next summer I don't have one this year but needed something to get the bike finished for now.  I want to try a few out before I spend that much money on a seatpost as I hear some are much better than others and dont mind paying to get something I will like more.  Chain Reaction is amazing though, I have always supporeted local shops as much as possible but sometimes for the price I can't justify paying twice as much for the same part that I can order to my house without leaving the couch. Their customer service is above and beyond as well. 

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 09:35:10 am »
CRC is great. I've always had great experience with them. Has anyone ordered a bike from them? Every time I look, they have brands I've never heard of, but with good part kits lol.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 08:33:27 am »
So, I'm looking at a couple options to get myself into a used AM or Enduro style bike. My plan is to sell my 2014 Giant Talon 2 27.5 and my Black MRKT Riot, custom built with a Rock Shox Argyle 409 fork, XT cranks, single Shimano Saint rear disc, single speed, Revolution wheels, and some other goodies.

I've spent some time on Pinkbike looking at prices but wanted to get some feedback on what these bikes might be worth?

Appreciate any feedback!

I bought a monster truck. 2014 Specialized Enduro Comp 29. I'm pretty excited for my knee to be healed up so I can get this thing dirty.
Untitled by Evan Jones, on Flickr
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 04:01:23 pm »
Anyone interested in getting into riding a bit more?  www.mmbts.com  The AGM is coming up soon.
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.