Author Topic: 2013 Subaru WRX Throwout Bearing Issues  (Read 1214 times)

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
2013 Subaru WRX Throwout Bearing Issues
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:25:37 pm »
Hey WSC,

Ever since owning my car I've had issues with the throwout bearing. I had it replaced by Subaru Calgary at 52,000km and then again by Centaur at 63,000kms and now I've reached 94,000 and while driving this weekend I heard it on and off. While driving to work yesterday I heard it chirping again, then two long low-pitch grinds (similar to transmission whine) and the chirping noise has virtually stopped. Each of the recent 3 times I heard it chirping were in "cold" (roughly -10C) weather. I will state that I do not race, drop the clutch, partake in Auto-X or any equivalent events and there's many WSC'ers on here who can attest to this. It is my DD that I use to make trips to BC and back and otherwise drive around town in Calgary.

I have contacted Centaur Subaru again and presented the issues I experienced - the chirping and then the grind. I also asked about the transmission snout being worn from a bad bearing and was told that in 5 years working at Centaur they have never heard of anything like this before. The option presented to me by Centaur is to bring it in, they will dismantle and inspect, and if there are any signs of abuse then I will be on the hook for covering the entire cost, otherwise it is still under warranty.

I have no issue with this as I am confident in my driving style that I have not placed any abuse on the clutch/transmission however, what determines whether it was me or mechanical failure and how do I know they are not lying? My other question is, has anybody heard or have first-hand experience with the transmission snout being compromised by a bad TOB? And what was the solution? Is this just a myth? A quick search on here shows Jelly had a similar issue:

Showing the snout, complete with the TOB collar still attached:

Slight amount of galling, but nothing too extreme. The photo makes it look worse than it is. Lose my itshay thinking that the snout is cracked vertically but it's only the transmission casing seam:

Some bearings escaped, never to be seen again. Both of the TOB clips were average. One was completely loose and this appears to be the root cause of the metal on metal screeching. Looking at the back of the TOB:

Anything helps as I'm scheduled into Centaur next Monday.

Thanks.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
Re: 2013 Subaru WRX Throwout Bearing Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:48:30 pm »
Sounds like your whole car is uckfayed. Time for a partout...

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 12:54:07 pm »
I added one of these to get rid of the chatter on Pumpkin:

https://www.flatironstuning.com/p-2603-pdm-tranquil-tsk3-snout-throwout-bearing-and-sleeve-repair-kit.aspx

I'll have a root around in my build thread and see if I can find more info. Basically you groove the aluminum snout and itshay gets sloppy and noisy. Doesn't have to be hard driving, just lots of clutching.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 01:13:01 pm »
It's not uncommon and the dealership is full of itshay or ignorant if they've never come across it before.

Another link
https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-repair-seattle-transmission-housing-repair-kit/

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:19:42 pm »
I added one of these to get rid of the chatter on Pumpkin:

https://www.flatironstuning.com/p-2603-pdm-tranquil-tsk3-snout-throwout-bearing-and-sleeve-repair-kit.aspx

I'll have a root around in my build thread and see if I can find more info. Basically you groove the aluminum snout and itshay gets sloppy and noisy. Doesn't have to be hard driving, just lots of clutching.

Thanks Tuna. I also gave VEX a call to ask about this issue and if they've ever seen it, Ryan let me know he has. After some reading I realized that you had it done by them at one point.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 04:35:10 pm »
Most of the chatter went away but it wasn't completely perfect on a 210k km car

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:01:50 pm »
welcome to the land of transmission issues  >:D
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 10:57:07 pm »
welcome to the land of transmission issues  >:D

EVO's have tranny issues like Subies have EJ issues though, so it's kind of a bummer that thedude's TOB is just not abiding. 

I'm glad Tuna chimed in.  He and RnW did the work on my Forester so I have little to no experience with the technicalities.  So far, there have been no issues with the new owner and she's put 30k on it since buying it from us. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube