Author Topic: DIY: Hoodscoop Grill (Home Depot Special)  (Read 3166 times)

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
DIY: Hoodscoop Grill (Home Depot Special)
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:34:45 pm »
After taking a rock to the intercooler, i wanted to get some sort of grill up and protecting it ASAP. Since i think spending over $100 on something SGP is lunacy (sorry for those of you who have them, they look great!) i decided to DIY one. Because im making this after Ive already made the product, the DIY isn't going to be as detailed as I'd like.

Materials:
1/2"X24"x24" metal grating from Home Depot. $29.99
DK Charcoal auto paint. $9.99

First step: Take this plastic/metal contraption off from under the hood. There are 6 screws holding it on: Don't worry about removing the plastic plug/clips, They only hold the plastic bottom to the metal top and you want to keep both pieces together.

This is what the metal grating looks like. Stenciling was done by tracing the inner edge of the Hood Ducting with Nail polish (i didn't have a marker...) onto the steel grating. The top part is what i cut out with a Dremel tool using typical cheap cutting bits. You'll notice there are bent parts: these are what i use to bolt through onto the plastic/metal to keep the grill in place. The bending was done by a small set of vice grips: Please use something 'better', These were less than stellar for the job.

You can see where i bolted the grill to the top (metal) part of the ducting.  I had to use bolt cutters to cut the rest of the bolt off because 1" bolts were obviously too long. The empty hole there was attempt #1 for grill#1, What you're seeing is Grill #2. If you look along the bottom, through the grating, you can see the top part of the bolts i used. The head was rounded and was big enough to cover the open space in the 'diamond' gap.

Unpainted "finished" product in the ducting. Its not perfect but once its painted black, you'll hardly notice imperfections! (i hope).

Painted with DK Charcoal auto spray paint.

Finished/installed!

NOTE:  This material is very strong.  It'd be highly unlikely that you'd get dents in it from rocks or birds.  Ive 'felt' the competition grills that claim to be dent resistant, and i can bend those materials with my thumb fairly easily: this material isn't going anywhere if the same move is attempted.

The second attempt at the grill was done the morning before the second cup Edmonton meet. i did the whole thing in about an hour and a half (minus painting). If you have a grinder with the proper cutting bit, this job could easily be done in 30 mins or less: unfortunately Dremel cutting bits are a pain in the arse. The material you buy would be good enough for 4 grills if you didn't waste any material, and the spray paint could easily paint 4 grills.

If you have any specific questions about how i did certain things, please.. ask away. I really didn't have a set 'system' for this: it was only 30 bux for a ton of grating, i wasn't concerned about mistakes.

Also! The best part (imo) about this grill, as opposed to the SGP ones, is that its INSIDE the hoodscoop. Your holes aren't visible on any painted surface and the overall look is less "look at me!" and more, "I'm functional": again, no offense to the guys who have the SGP/grillcraft ones.

boiboi9

Re: DIY: Hoodscoop Grill (Home Depot Special)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:08:08 am »
Nice! I also couldnt bring my self to spend $100+ for this!

You have inspired me to DIY now!

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:01:36 am »
Good!  If 1 person decides to do it, then it was all worth it!

Offline Tabibito

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
  • Ride: 2012 2.0i Sport Wagon, and big white box with blinky lights.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:56:35 am »
Hmmmm, that looks pretty decent. I'll have to think about going this route instead of the Grillcraft...
===========
A filthy Subaru is a happy Subaru.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:57:27 am »
Hmmmm, that looks pretty decent. I'll have to think about going this route instead of the Grillcraft...

You can take a closer look at it at one of the suby meets. Im sure we'll cross paths again.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:32:59 am »
If you only have a write up on the 04-05's.. =(
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline SulfurLad

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • now, 20% more!
    • Azzurriffopubijix
  • Ride: 08 WRB STI + many bicycles
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:58 am »
Looks sweet.  One question:  Do you find that you get small projectiles stuck near the base of the grille where it's bent under?  That's the only thing I'm concerned about looking at this, otherwise I'm ready to go do it myself.  :)

On a separate note, if you have taken some rocks to the intercooler, is it safe/okay to bend fins back?  I'm sure I've read this somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where.

Thanks for the write-up!
throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty

Offline Tabibito

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
  • Ride: 2012 2.0i Sport Wagon, and big white box with blinky lights.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:44:06 am »
The fins are very thin, so I would imagine you're taking a big risk at snapping it clean off by bending it back.
===========
A filthy Subaru is a happy Subaru.

Offline Wronks

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '13 STi
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:44:43 am »
On a separate note, if you have taken some rocks to the intercooler, is it safe/okay to bend fins back?  I'm sure I've read this somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where.

It's definately fine to bend the fins back. Just make sure to use a steady hand. I'd recommend using a smaller flat head screw driver to do the trick. Unfortunately though, even with doing your best to bend the fins back, it never looks the same again.

EDIT:
Wronks - Have fun out there.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:49:34 am »
Looks sweet.  One question:  Do you find that you get small projectiles stuck near the base of the grille where it's bent under?  That's the only thing I'm concerned about looking at this, otherwise I'm ready to go do it myself.  :)

On a separate note, if you have taken some rocks to the intercooler, is it safe/okay to bend fins back?  I'm sure I've read this somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where.

Thanks for the write-up!

I havnt got anything stuck under there yet, but to be fair, its only been on my car for a few days or so. Ive had a grill on there for about a week, but this grill was only put on this last sunday.  Are you concerned about rocks getting stuck under there? or leaves? or what.

I used electronics screwdrivers (the smallllllll head ones) to bend my fins back so they arent laying flat.  They are far from perfect and you can tell i took some dmg there, but they are now standing upright.  With how thin the fins are, im assuming you could easily snap them if you were to bend them back and forth too much, or be too rough with them.  Ive heard from others in the club that bending them back up is the best option, as opposed to leaving them down.  While they are down, they essentially create a wall so air cant flow deeper into the lower fins: by opening them back up, air is able to penetrate deeper.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 06:17:00 pm »
I did the same thing to my grill.   ;D

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 08:32:24 am »
awesome!  that grating looks thinner and possibly easier to manage.  where did you get it?

Offline tmah

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 05:24:42 pm »
Very nice work!  I've been wanting to do this for
a while now. ;D

Offline Wronks

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '13 STi
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 05:49:04 pm »
Just finished doing my install of the "rock guard". I painted it flat black. Did a primer coat and 3 coats of flat black.

Wronks - Have fun out there.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 08:17:22 pm »
awesome!  that grating looks thinner and possibly easier to manage.  where did you get it?

Home Hardware.  Rain gutter mesh.