Author Topic: Jackal's project Beatrice.  (Read 41754 times)

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
Jackal's project Beatrice.
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:11:01 am »
Like many of you,  I have been a fan of cars for a long time,  and have a short list of cars that I would love to have.  My crazy list includes cars like the Audi Sport Quattro and (S1) 84-86,  Lancia Stratos (especially the new limited run concept based on the 430 {edit: now squashed by Ferrari}),  Wiesmann GT,  Morgan Plus 4, 3 wheeler, EVA GT,  and Supersport (love them Morgans).

Recently I tripped onto another car I have dreamed of owning for a long time,  and I decided to do what it takes to get it.  Unfortunately this has meant I have to sell my much loved Subaru Betty.  The idea of the change is made easier knowing that Betty has not been driven as much as she used to,  and deserves to be on the road and enjoyed.  Karina and I have used Betty as a Auto-x car pretty much exclusively since I moved to Calgary,  and this created the opportunity to get a car that could be considered significantly less practical.  I stumbled onto a set of Birkin Super 7's for sale in Canmore,  and eventually purchased one.  The Birkin Super 7 is a official clone of the Lotus Super 7,  and the Caterham Super 7.  Birkin is the US version of the Super 7,  and has been owner of the rights to the Se7en design since 1983. 

My new toy, Beatrice (Trixy for short) is a kit from '99.  Kind of a sad story really.  She was brought to Canada for a guy who was going to track it,  but unfortunately he fell ill and never assembled the kit.  Fast forward ten years and eventually it ended up back ad the Canadian dealer's place,  and he started the build. As it sits at this moment the suspension, brakes, dash,  and most of the wiring is in,  but not yet torqued.   We will be dropping in the 2L Ford Zetec sometime in the next couple of weeks,  and then I'll be looking to get the car to Calgary to finish the build.  Everything needed to get the car running is included,  as well as a tonneau cover for the cabin, and a lid for it.  Spare tire rack was also an option for that kit,  and included with Trixy.  I am a little intimidated by a build this large,  as I have never taken a car from this state and made it run.  I enjoy a challenge though,  and hope to have it complete for at least one event to close out the Auto-x season.

I plan on using here for commuting to work on the nice sunny days we used to have here in Alberta  :-\,  and will be running her in the DMod Auto-x class,  in street tires for now. Future plans right now include.... finishing the build.

Here is a shot of her from the add.  I realize the tire is on backwards,  he has three Birkins,  and he slapped the tires on quickly to move them around his shop.  All three are wearing missmatched sets right now.

Here is a rough idea of what I want Trixy to look like in the future. 

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
Re: Jackal's project Beatrice.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:11:33 am »
Here is a shot from the day I laid the money down.  I look huge in it.  Sorry for the crappy Iphone pic.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:13:25 am »
Can't wait to see this, and may I dare ask, hope for a ride?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:24:25 am »
holy crap: awesome!

I know absolutely nothing about these cars, but it looks fun - especially if you plan to use it for motorsports.  I'm curious: what does one of these typically weigh when finished?  (heads to google).

Offline jsn

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STi
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:30:39 am »
These cars are awesome.  Definitely excited to see how this project turns out.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:36:25 am »
holy crap: awesome!

I know absolutely nothing about these cars, but it looks fun - especially if you plan to use it for motorsports.  I'm curious: what does one of these typically weigh when finished?  (heads to google).

I am aiming for around 1100 lbs without me in it.  The motor should put out around 140 hp from stock.  Way down the road I may supercharge the beast and get the motor to 240 hp.  That makes for some insane power/weight ratios.   ;D

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:46:11 am »
I am aiming for around 1100 lbs without me in it.  The motor should put out around 140 hp from stock.  Way down the road I may supercharge the beast and get the motor to 240 hp.  That makes for some insane power/weight ratios.   ;D

Sounds like fun to me, i wonder how long it will take you to spin out  >:D

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:15:16 pm »
Sounds like fun to me, i wonder how long it will take you to spin out  >:D

I'm guessing less than in the Subaru.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:52 pm »
Here is a shot from the day I laid the money down.  I look huge in it.  Sorry for the crappy Iphone pic.

If you've never met Jackal, he's not a very big guy.  This car makes him look huge, where as a guy that's ACTUALLY huge is going to look ridiculous haha.
I've never been as interested in spectating an Auto-X as i am about your first one in this bad boy.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 02:04:13 pm »
I've never been as interested in spectating an Auto-X as i am about your first one in this bad boy.

I'm betting there will be lots of sliding and cursing going on, followed by me giggling like a half wit.

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »
I'm betting there will be lots of sliding and cursing going on, followed by me giggling like a half wit usual.

fixed.

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:10:26 pm »
Ooooooohhhhhhh mmmmmyyyyyyy............
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »
Congrats man, definitely a dream car. 

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:21:59 pm »
Why do they always have crappy tires on 'em?  :P

The stalker that was coming out to TimeAttacks last year had fricking all seasons on it.  >_<

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 02:29:09 pm »
Why do they always have crappy tires on 'em?  :P

The stalker that was coming out to TimeAttacks last year had fricking all seasons on it.  >_<

I have been reading about how Kiril has been enjoying his new tires and I've been contemplating a set myself.  Having run the same tires in the past,  and hearing how he likes the new ones makes my next choice fairly easy.  I'll need to double check how fast the new tires heat up though.  In a light car like this,  I'll need a good cold tire.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »
Dude, it's light enough (and enough of a fair weather toy) to look at streetable R-comps.

Toyo RA-1 or R888.
Advan A048 or A050.

etc.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 03:00:05 pm »
I've wanted something silly light for a while now too. Guess I'll have to be content trying to get my WRX
from 2925lbs to sub 2900.

1100lbs is nuts, easy on brakes, easy on tires, changes direction like crazy. Should be fun ! Why
are they all yellow though ? I know of 3 now that are yellow.

In case you didn't know...

Event # 6 SASC
Overall ranking by raw time:
Rank Car# Mbr Rky Class Driver           Car                    Raw Time   Score
   1   94 Yes  No    SS Ambrose F        Lotus Elise             144.856 100.000
   2   13  No  No   CSP Chris S          1994 Mazda Miata        148.224  97.728
   3  808 Yes  No   STX Jason M          2002 Subaru WRX         148.382  97.624
   4  113  No Yes   CSP Steve S          Mazda Miata             152.419  95.038
   5   86 Yes  No   STR Chris S          2003 Honda S2000        153.382  94.441
   6  192 Yes  No    FS Cam W            2008 Ford Mustang       154.068  94.021
   7   35  No  No   ASP Gerard T         Nissan GTR              154.545  93.731
   8   73 Yes  no   STX Stuart T         2004 Mazda RX-8         155.763  92.998
   9   77 Yes  No   STX Derek L          2007 Mini CooperS       157.069  92.224
  10   32 Yes  No    ES Reijo S          MR2                               157.673  91.871
  11  300  No  No    DM Bill R           U-built Lotus 7         157.819  91.786 

Maybe now you'll be convinced that driving 1hr to Ft Macleod isn't such a bad idea...
This one has a 5.0L I believe, there are a few (2-3) that run with the CSCC and Alan Rae even made it
to a few events and the Regional last year.

Bill is out consistantly with his this year, next event is August 6th.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 03:14:40 pm »
IIRC from the ad he posted, the other 2 (2011 models) were sold already?
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 03:28:05 pm »
Why are they all yellow though ? I know of 3 now that are yellow.

Not all of them.

Maybe now you'll be convinced that driving 1hr to Ft Macleod isn't such a bad idea...

I have wanted to go to Fort Macleod for a while now.  It's hard to convince the girl to head out to an Auto-x  every weekend.  I promised myself to hit every Edmonton event this year.  Next year I see myself heading to more Calgary events though.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 03:29:24 pm »
IIRC from the ad he posted, the other 2 (2011 models) were sold already?

The green one is still available when I last spoke to him.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 03:31:35 pm »
Not all of them.

I think Jason was referring to the ones that "come out to play". ;)

I'm sure you can tell this is the Brunton Stalker I mentioned previously.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »
PS.

Mod classes allow non-DOT slicks.

(Isn't that hot?)

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 03:41:35 pm »
(Isn't that hot?)

It's awesome.  I like the beefy tire look on these cars.  Moreover it gives them the traction they need to really perform.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
I managed to hit up the Auto-x in Calgary thisd weekend,  and even snagged a couple rides in the 7's that showed.  The Ford 302 Locost is amazing.  The sounds that it creates are remarkable.  There is so much feedback in these cars,  and even as a passenger I felt so connected to the machine.  The 7 clone has a significantly smaller motor but somehow felt quicker,  and more planted.  I didn't get a ride in the Stalker,  but I saw that it posted some very quick times. 

I was having a little doubt about the purchase lately,  but all of that has completely changed since my rides this weekend.  I'm really chomping at the bit to start the build now.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:03 am »
Time to update your sig!