Author Topic: How To: 06-10 STI TSX-R Projector Lens Swap  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
How To: 06-10 STI TSX-R Projector Lens Swap
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:04:01 pm »
So I did this mod a week or so ago and thought I'd make a little how to for it since it seems more difficult than it is.
The point of this mod is to get better light output and a sharper, more colorful cutoff than stock, and all it costs is an afternoon of your time and $55!

First you need the following:
06-10 STI
TSX-R Projector Lenses from Retrofit Source: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=135
Oven + Mitts
Flat and Phillips Head Screwdrivers

I assume you know how to remove your headlights, if not, search Nasioc or IWSTI, there are several threads about it...

Then you need to bake and take apart your headlights, I used this walkthrough:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/116337-diy-painting-angel-eyes-2006-7-wrx-sti.html
(I also painted my headlight bezel's black at the same time, but that's not what this tutorial is all about...)

Follow that to the point where you have the clear headlight lens and bezel seperated from the rest of the light. like so:

Now is an excellent time to clean the inside of the lens, mine had water stains from previous condensation that was in the headlight.

First order of business is to remove the high beam bulb (don't touch the glass) and place it somewhere you'll remember.  Then remove the height levelling motor from the back. 
First unscrew the tab holding the adjustment screw on, then remove the three screws holding it in.  It should slide out with a little effort:

See the little black nub in the pic below? Some goofy rod with a ball on the end that goes into the nub from behind, and you need to pull it out.  Reach behind the high beam bowl and pull right here, it'll take some effort, and you'll feel like your breaking it, but you need to pull back here to be able to move the high beam bowl freely, this allows you to move the bowl around a bit during this whole thing in order to get at some screws, its hard to describe but you'll see what I mean as you do this.

Then we focus on the HID D2S bulb in the low beam.  First, turn the light upside down and remove the three screws holding the ballast on, and then unscrew the ground wire, and then unclip the little wire and socket that leads to the bulb, at this point I put the ballast back on so I'd have less parts laying around waiting to get lost:

Flip the light back over and unscrew the ground wire attached to the bulb, and also remove the screw holding the shield on:

Undo the clip holding the bulb in, and proceed to slide out the bulb, shield and wires all at once.

At this point you will be able to remove the 4 screws holding the projector onto the high beam bowl assembly, this is a picture of it removed:

4 more screws hold the 3 peice projector together, remove the 4 screws and seperate the lens/lens holder, cutoff shield, and reflector.  Removing the old lens is tricky, take your new lens and place the flat side against the flat side of the old lens and push the new lens against it, eventually once you get it right (it took me several tries) you will release the 6 tabs holding in the stock lens and it will come out by pushing on the curved part of the old lens.  Install the new lens, by pushing it into place, and make sure that the 6 tabs secure it, you'll hear a "snap" when they do.  On the clear lens you will notice a squiggly line part on the outside edge, (this is called a sign light and allows a little light to pass above the cutoff to light up signs) make sure that when installing the lens, the squiggly part will face down when re-installed onto the projector.  I did not do this because I was blissfully unawares, hence my cutoff is very, very sharp.  :P 

Pics:

Clear Lens on the Left, old diffused lens on the right, you can see how the stock lens really diffuses the light and makes a mess of an otherwise excellent projector:

The next part is optional, but highly recommended, its called the washer mod.  What you do is space the lens away from the reflector and cutoff shield by about 1mm, this focuses the beam a little more and provides a more colorful cutoff.  Place 4 washers in between the lens holder and cutoff shield like so and screw the projector back together:

After this simply put everything back together in reverse order.  Remember to resecure the high beam bowl at the little black nub, otherwise you'll never be able to height adjust the headlight.  Now's a good time to clean out your headlight with some canned air and a microfibre cloth, you don't want dust or fingerprints showing once your headlight is sealed up.  Re-bake it, and put them back into the car.

You'll likely have to re-aim your headlights after this, its dead easy.  The official way is to put your car on a level surface 25 feet back against a wall.  The cutoff of your low beam should be 5cm lower than the center of the projector lens.  Or you can do what I did and get your friends STI next to yours and adjust your lights to match his.  I set my passenger side light slightly higher than my drivers, its not the proper way to do it but I find it's easier to read roadside signs with such a defined cutoff.

Results:

Okay so the picture isn't great, but you can see the thick band of color at the top of the cutoff.

Stock STI on the left and mine on the right, see the difference?  The stock STI has a fuzzy ill defined cutoff, and though the picture doesn't really bring it out, in person it's dimmer and more yellow than the modded lens.

Wondering why you want a more colorful cutoff?  Remember how when HID's first came out on Audi's and BMW's a few years back? Remember how when they came at you they'd emit a blue/purple light around the edges and it looked super cool? That's called color flicker, and in recent years the OEM's in north america started putting in diffused lenses in the projectors to get rid of this, but at the expense of light output and er....coolness.....so space out that lens and maximize the awesomeness of your HID's!!!

Enjoy your new lights! Questions? Did I miss something? Reply to the post and I'll do my best to help.
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
Re: How To: 06-10 STI TSX-R Projector Lens Swap
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:49 am »
question about the glue.  when putting your headlights back together, did you add more/use  the existing and if you  added more, what kind did you use.

also, how long did this all take.  it looks like a solid afternoon

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:23:03 am »
You *can* reuse the existing glue, but you risk not getting a great seal due to... a few different reasons that you'll discover when you do it.

TRS has an optional "glue kit" for an extra 10 bucks.
Entirely worth it.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:28:29 am »
I did a complete swap of my projectors on my car. Different from the op but I added new buytl to ensure a good seal. When I did it the first time, I didn't, what ended up happening is water kept gettin in. Not a lot, but enough to make it start condensing. When there's condensation in your headlamp, and you happen to need to park outside in the winter, its not pretty. You won't have very useful lights.

As for time, depends on how comfortable you are with doing things like this. Anywhere between 2 hours to a maybe 5. Its much easier to do on a 06/07 than on an 08+ just because there's one adjustment tab you gotta take out that's hidden on the 08+ can be a real pain to get at. Also depends on what else you are doing. Cure time for painting, or mods you may be doing to the interior, or perhaps extra lighting =p

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:29:38 am »
I used the existing glue, and after nearly 2 years my lenses don't get foggy, however, YMMV.

My car was down with fuel delivery problems while I did this, so I took like 3 weeks total in my spare time, but I'd book the weekend.  Taking the lights apart and painting the bezels should take an afternoon.  Let them dry overnight and put them back together the next day.
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:28 am »
I used the existing glue, and after nearly 2 years my lenses don't get foggy, however, YMMV.
I can't say the exact method that was used on my car, since the PO did it.
However, I do know that he did not add new glue. The last time I washed the car, one of them fogged up.
So yeah, YMMV.

I'd spend the 10 bucks (as I did for the foz retrofit) and get new glue. Peace of mind. Do it right. etc. etc.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:13:07 am »
I can't say the exact method that was used on my car, since the PO did it.
However, I do know that he did not add new glue. The last time I washed the car, one of them fogged up.
So yeah, YMMV.

I'd spend the 10 bucks (as I did for the foz retrofit) and get new glue. Peace of mind. Do it right. etc. etc.

Is this glue a special kind or can it be found locally?  I already have my order in from retrofits

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17:52 am »
Is this glue a special kind or can it be found locally?  I already have my order in from retrofits

Give me $5 and you can use as much glue as you need from my glue that I got when I did mine.  You don't really need to use much.  I just have to dig out my glue.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:48 am »
Also factory aiming instructions.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:52 am »
I have now done this twice.  the first time it took me about a half day.  It took me 3 hours the second time.  For those of you wondering why,

the uckfaying cut off sheild says RHD or LHD on it.  MAKE SURE YOU DONT FLIP IT BY MISTAKE.  Otherwise you get to have fun happy time baking the headlights for a second time and removing extra glue/sealer and re-doing the process.  Also.  Do the washer mod the first time, and i prefer only using one set of washers as i now have two on and its a little more color flicker then i want.  but uckfay it.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 08:00:39 am »
Just did this yesterday with Jeff (canehdian_j). Here's my added tidbits.

When removing the old lens using the new lens there are divots in the perimeter of the new lens, make sure that these divots don't line up with any of the tabs securing the old lens or you may crack your new lens. (ask me how I know >:()

On an 08+ you don't need to detach/remove the leveler. The projector is secured to the high beam bowl from the front. Four screws from the front allows you to move the projector around in the housing enough to remove the 4 screws holding the projector together and remove it in two pieces. This was way easier than having to fiddle with the leveler, and on an upside, the headlight level didn't change so when re-installed no adjustment was necessary.

I didn't do the washer mod and still have a satisfactory amount of prism effect at the cutoff. I will post pictures later.

I have yet to drive on a dark road (no streetlights) but I am sure I will see a world of difference when I do, the cutoff is amazing and the light output so far is excellent. It should have come from the factory like this.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline Dev

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Magic Carpet
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 10:40:38 am »
This is a great post. I'm looking to do this in the future myself, since my headlights are pretty dim. These tips will be perfect for when I attempt this. Looking forward to some of your pics :)
My 2006 STI Build:*Sold*
Project "Panda"
My 2014 XT Build: *Sold*
Project "Panda" #2
My 2016 Golf R Build Project "Panda" #3

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 11:53:33 am »
Just my two cents. If you are going through the hassle of opening up your headlights, you might as well swap out the projectors. I have the bolt-on mini Bi-xenon and they are fantastic, plus quad highbeams means you'll be blinding traffic for miles.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 01:08:14 pm »
Meh. It's already done.

I have a plug n play HID kit in my high beams already so I can see extremely well at night when there's no cars around. I also have the height adjusted such that 3 is normal for driving and 0 will blind oncoming drivers.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline xrdriver

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2010 SWP STI
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:05 pm »
Thanks for this info Tenacious_B!  I picked up a set of the TRS lenses some time ago but I've not had a chance to install them yet.

Just my two cents. If you are going through the hassle of opening up your headlights, you might as well swap out the projectors. I have the bolt-on mini Bi-xenon and they are fantastic, plus quad highbeams means you'll be blinding traffic for miles.

Are you talking about this kit:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=254

This is the first time I've heard of the bolt-on bi-xenon kit.

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 11:38:19 am »
^^^ those are the ones. 

Offline Jessy403

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • what what
  • Ride: 2009 STI
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 01:18:16 pm »
I think the output of the STi with clear lenses is better. You don't get the quad high beam, but that's OK.

Offline HowFast

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 09 Impreza STi hatch
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 09:57:25 pm »
How long did shipping take for these to come in?

Offline k_LX

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '14 Prancer
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 07:29:58 pm »
Took about 2 weeks for my lenses to come in from TheRetrofitSource
"Nice car, what do those retail for?"
"More than you can afford, pal!  Ferrari.."

Offline Dev

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Magic Carpet
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 12:33:54 am »
How long did shipping take for these to come in?

Depends where you get them, I got mine from Lightwerkz and it took bout 3 days to get to my door if i remember. I would give it at least 5 buisness days
My 2006 STI Build:*Sold*
Project "Panda"
My 2014 XT Build: *Sold*
Project "Panda" #2
My 2016 Golf R Build Project "Panda" #3

Offline HowFast

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 09 Impreza STi hatch
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 06:18:08 pm »
just ordered the lenses and butyl glue and washer kit from trs..looking forward to doing this...