Author Topic: How To: Replace headlights on a GC/GF  (Read 1453 times)

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
How To: Replace headlights on a GC/GF
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »
Note: This may well only apply to post-facelift models. I only tried it on my '97 and swapped in '99 headlights.
Note #2: If you have a broken headlight like this one, exercise some judgment, work slowly and don't get cut.

This is a pretty easy task, but I took some photos of doing it so I figured I'd reuse those photos. It helps to have tiny fingers because the headlight pinch clip is a jerk.

What you need
  • 10mm socket
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • The ability to change a headlight bulb

Procedure
First you'll want to remove the grille. This is pretty easy; find the two holes on the top of the grille when the hood is open and pop your screwdriver in there. You should be able to see the mounting clips which will pop free after some fiddling and stabbing. Pull the grille slightly forward and then gently tug up to free it from the mounts on the bottom.

Now with the grille off you'll want to start loosening the bolts that have just made themselves visible. Not quite yet - first, remove the corners by unscrewing the obvious Phillips screw at the top of the headlight assembly and gently pulling the corner light forward, making sure not to bend or break the little tab that holds the corner in.

Now that the corners are out, you can see all the bolts required for the headlight. Remove the four bolts, two in front and two on the side. Do not remove the 10mm bolt in the centre behind the grille; that's not part of the headlight assembly.

Once the headlight is loose from its mountings, unplug the headlight bulb and socket assembly by rotating the rubber boot and then reaching inside it to pinch the pinch-clip holding the headlight socket into the headlight shell. This is pretty easy, even with the battery in. Once that's done, remove the headlight assembly, making sure not to break the little plastic tabs.

Where we're going, we don't need headlights.

Drop the new headlights into the resulting hole, lining up the tabs first and then bolting them down. Reattach the bulb, socket and wiring assembly and make sure the pinch clip has secured it well. Before you put the grille and corner back in, it might be a good idea to test the lights.

Once you've put everything back together again (watching out for the mounting tabs!) put the grille back on and admire your handiwork.

A note of safety
If you are interchanging headlights between cars with different ride heights or especially between LHD and RHD, you need to make sure that the new headlights are aimed properly. It sucks to get blinded on the highway and it sucks even more to be going down the highway when it's pitch dark and be unable to see far enough in front of you because you didn't take five minutes to aim your headlights properly.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
Re: How To: Replace headlights on a GC/GF
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:50:05 pm »
Nice, thanks for the write-up.

I swear that was my car when I first starting reading. Same type of damage on the same side.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline VanCharvel

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 93 GC8
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:50:50 pm »
Thanks for the DIY, I'll need to be doing this quite soon hopefully.

Where did you pick up the crystal headlights? And how much were they if you don't mind me asking?
Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.

My Build Thread!

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:57 am »
From a WSC'er, and I paid $100 for both which is around what they were going for on NASIOC/RS25.