Author Topic: Recommendations for places to visit in HK  (Read 5163 times)

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
Recommendations for places to visit in HK
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:35:23 am »
Alright so I am heading to HK, Bangkok and Vietnam next month and I have a few days in HK to myself.

What places do you guys recommend seeing?  I will already be going to Victoria Peak to take night time pictures, and I want to take the relatively new gondola up to the temple for more pictures.

What else do you guys recommend seeing?

Also if it helps I can speak Cantonese well enough to get by but can't read any  ;D

Edit:

Also reading though GrantC's post now :P

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: Recommendations for places to visit in HK
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:03:04 am »

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:14:37 am »
Wow, for a second I thought my thread's been bumped. :P

Old school: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=959.0 http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=1247.0

I was thinking about it for a moment but 4 year old threads are kinda old :P

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:42:12 am »
Not sure if you're into the market thing.  There's one in Yau Ma Tei (on Tung Choi Street) called "women street" (actually, it's called Ladies' Market, but if you know Cantonese, you'll know that directly translating "women street" will give you the Chinese name of the market :D ), and there's one in Mongkok on Temple Street (open at night).

Stanley (also known in Chinese as Chek Chue / "red pillar") on the south side of the island is worth a walk.  I'm a bit of a university hound, so I try to visit at least one or two universities any time I travel to a city that has one.  There are too many in HK to count  ;D however, HKU is probably one of the more well-known ones.

Another good place to shoot nighttime photos is across Victoria Harbour.  Take your pick of either the Kowloon side, or the HK Island side - I'm more used to shooting from Kowloon across to HK, but the return view is just as nice.

One place I checked out the last time I was there was the Wetland Park in Tin Shui Wai.  Plenty of birds there, and if there's not too much smog, you can actually look across the water to China.

My favourite thing to do is to just wander about somewhat aimlessly using the world-class train, ferry, and subway system, but I'm not sure if your time in HK will permit that.  Also, eat lots - there are lots of places where the food is spectacular (from hole-in-the-wall and street vending establishments to 5-star and Michelin top-rated restaurants).

And, if you've never been to HK before, the first thing you should do when you've cleared customs is: get yourself an Octopus card and load it with at least $100 (HK Dollars).  You'll find that it's much more convenient to use that than to carry cash.  http://www.octopus.com.hk/home/en/index.html

Good luck, have fun, and know that someone in Vancouver is super-jealous that he's not there visiting right now.   :D
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:11 am »
Yup, Octopus card for convenience stores, vending machines, busses, and of course the MTR.

I don't think DL needs the advice from _us_ to eat.  ;)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:08:12 am »
I don't think DL needs the advice from _us_ to eat.  ;)

Hey, you never know...   ;D

Actually, I guess what I wanted to say was: be curious, be adventurous, try things that you normally wouldn't eat at home.  There are a lot of hidden gems (in terms of eateries).  :)

Offline sb119

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: GC8 and R33 GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »
Hike Razorback Mountain (Tai To Yan). Pretty easy hike with amazing views and there's a bus stop at either end of the hike  ;D

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:56:31 pm »
Hike Razorback Mountain (Tai To Yan). Pretty easy hike with amazing views and there's a bus stop at either end of the hike  ;D

Cheating, I like ;)

Thanks for the info Ead.  For food, I will be eating a lot and I can't wait.  I should have the last 4 days at least of my trip to myself while my parents are out in China after I get back from Vietnam.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:31:46 pm »
Not a problem.  :)

I'm not sure if you like the occasional drink or night life outside of photography, but I heard that Lan Kwai Fong is quite the place to visit at night for a beverage (or 10).  Then again, I've also heard it's overrated.  Seeing how any time I go to HK, I tend to go with my fiancée (who is not into the night life  :-\ ), I've never had a chance to verify one way or the other about its "fun factor".  YMMV.

I've also heard that the outlying islands near HK (accessible by ferry) are quite nice.  Alas, I have never seen them.  I'm hoping to do so the next time I go (whenever that is).

If I think of anything else, I'll spam this thread with it.   ;D

EDIT: Just thought of this - as a fun day trip, you could also consider going to Macau.  That is, if you don't mind having to clear customs both ways...

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:46:01 am »
I think Macau is already being planned by my Aunt, there is a 4-5 ish day period where we are doing family reunion type stuff. and I will have another 4-5 ish days after my Vietnam part of the trip to explore HK.

Also looked up travel HK website, lots of info there too. 

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 04:54:57 pm »
Have fun in HK, you lucky astardbay... ;)

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 06:38:03 pm »
Thanks. Getting close now we fly out Monday morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 07:57:44 am »
Okay have to put this up before I forget.  Hong Kong museum of history, Hong Kong story is amazing and really well priced. 

10 hkd for adults 5 hkd if your older than 60 and free on Wednesday. Well worth the visit, just leave your self lots of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 03:22:29 pm »
I may have gone to there in one of my previous visits, though I might not have gone through the whole display.  It's one that I certainly intend to (re)visit the next time I go. :)

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:23:18 am »
http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=20172

Yumm for future reference.

Handmade bamboo pole noodles (Jook Sing Mein)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=881n3c2SXX4#t=51s

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations where he goes visits the man who makes the noodles.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:31 pm »
Sham Shui Po?  I'll have to remember that for my next visit.  :)

How was the trip overall?  Any pictures to share?
(I miss HK.  :( )

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:15 am »
Sham Shui Po?  I'll have to remember that for my next visit.  :)

How was the trip overall?  Any pictures to share?
(I miss HK.  :( )

Yeah in Sham Shui Po, so you get out at the train exit in front of the golden computer mall (where there is that corner entrance to the mall), walk down a block and turn right.

It was great, lots of food and lots to see.  Hopefully i won't be lazy this weekend and I will finish cleaning up the pictures in lightroom and ill upload them :)

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 10:09:09 pm »

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 10:37:21 pm »
Nice pictures... ahhh, how I've missed HK.  :(

I'm hoping to be able to go later this year.  My fiancée and I want to have our wedding photos done there.  No idea if I can afford the time off, though.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 10:38:31 pm »
Yeah in Sham Shui Po, so you get out at the train exit in front of the golden computer mall (where there is that corner entrance to the mall), walk down a block and turn right.

It was great, lots of food and lots to see.  Hopefully i won't be lazy this weekend and I will finish cleaning up the pictures in lightroom and ill upload them :)

Good to hear that you had a great trip, and thanks for sharing the photos.  :)

I'll have to remember to drop by this thread before I go back for a visit.  ;)

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 03:28:18 pm »
My fiancée and I want to have our wedding photos done there.

Are they actually going to look like you?  Or are they going to be photoshopped to the point it could be _any_ two people?

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 05:46:00 pm »
Are they actually going to look like you?  Or are they going to be photoshopped to the point it could be _any_ two people?
;D

With any luck, it'll look like my fiancée and some fellow who is 30 lbs lighter than I am, with both of us looking like movie stars.   8)

...knowing my luck, though, it'll look like my fiancée and some fellow who is 50 lbs heavier than I am, with me looking like some schmuck who just walked into Kimberley Road from Stanley (ie. the prison) or (perhaps more frighteningly) Lok Ma Chau.  :o

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:26 pm »
Haha, brings back memories.  My inlaws had us get our wedding photos done up in Guangzho on their "Wedding Street."

If you're bigger than the "average" Asian they'll have problems finding clothes that'll fit you.  I'm 6'4" and all of the suits those wedding photog places have were made for people sub 5'10", even the guys, so I was wearing their long pants like Grant in his capris.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 08:52:58 pm »
Haha, brings back memories.  My inlaws had us get our wedding photos done up in Guangzho on their "Wedding Street."

If you're bigger than the "average" Asian they'll have problems finding clothes that'll fit you.  I'm 6'4" and all of the suits those wedding photog places have were made for people sub 5'10", even the guys, so I was wearing their long pants like Grant in his capris.

Sadly, I'm about 6'3" and fast pushing 250 lbs.  I look about 5 months pregnant, even though I'm certain there's no baby to be had in my belly.    ???

In fact, every time I go back, I have a hard time buying anything to wear, because their XXL (if they have that size) seems like a M or L in North America.   :-\

Thanks for the heads-up/reminder, though.  We'll have to do our research before we head out thataways, to make sure I don't walk into some studio that is catered for the average HK'er.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 12:09:35 am »
Yah, my father in law insisted I buy a tailored suit.. so they took my measurements, I paid about $150CDN to the tailor..

A few days later when I was back in Hong Kong my suit had arrived at my hotel.. it didn't fit.

I guess what they did, was assume the guy taking the measurements..  there's no way any Chinese guy would be 6'4" tall so they just made it with regular asian dude measurements and sent that.  What a waste of time.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?