Author Topic: Brian's 2004 WRX  (Read 18648 times)

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - aem wideband
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 11:35:45 am »
hey there Brian i wouldn't mind taking that clutch if still available

forsure man, i could use an extra set of hands to remove it if your available  ;)

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - kartboy outrigger bushings
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:32 pm »
Installed the Kartboy Rear Diff Outrigger bushings today.  ($30 brand new)  I chose the comfort version cause my ride is still a DD.  So, install was literally 30mins,  didn't even have to jack the car up.  I'm sure I could HAVE done it faster, but my garage is very organised  :sarcasm:.  I followed this nice writeup by snackie http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=25020.0 
Initial feeling, car feels more firm in the rear.  Launching there isn't as much squat, it just plants and goes.  I didn't get any added noise at any speeds, but my exhaust is pretty loud, so it could be just drowned out. 
Tomorrow will be kartboy subframe lockdown bolts, and next day or the next will be tic rear diff mount bushings.  Also, un-dipped the wheels, might go white or just leave them.  Removing most of it was easy but inside the rim and in the little areas was a itchbay.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - kartboy outrigger bushings
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2014, 08:07:21 am »
Installed the Kartboy Rear Diff Outrigger bushings today.  ($30 brand new)  I chose the comfort version cause my ride is still a DD.  So, install was literally 30mins,  didn't even have to jack the car up.  I'm sure I could HAVE done it faster, but my garage is very organised  :sarcasm:.  I followed this nice writeup by snackie http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=25020.0 
Initial feeling, car feels more firm in the rear.  Launching there isn't as much squat, it just plants and goes.  I didn't get any added noise at any speeds, but my exhaust is pretty loud, so it could be just drowned out. 
Tomorrow will be kartboy subframe lockdown bolts, and next day or the next will be tic rear diff mount bushings.  Also, un-dipped the wheels, might go white or just leave them.  Removing most of it was easy but inside the rim and in the little areas was a itchbay.

Please review these when you're done?
Cheers

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Kartboy outrigger bush
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2014, 09:13:31 am »
Yea definitely, I'll review them.  I'm optimistic after reading tons of reviews.  I'll welcome the nvh, if it means i'll be more connected with the car but what I won't tolerate is if my car has a seizure at idle or major vibrations at 80km+.  I'm not too worried.
Lockdown bolts today, been waiting 5 days usps first class from NY for the tic diff bushings, if they can get here i'll do it this weekend.  Mod bug hitting again. 

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2014, 09:20:15 am »
Also, how is the seat spring mod suiting you?
I'm 6'1" and 190lb's so I'm wondering if I'll irreversibly ruin my seats.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2014, 09:43:27 am »
Also, how is the seat spring mod suiting you?
I'm 6'1" and 190lb's so I'm wondering if I'll irreversibly ruin my seats.

The seat mod feels good.  It's like sitting on a couch and the back of the seat forms to your body. There's less bounce when you hit bumps, it generally holds you in one place.  I just removed the springs all together instead of pulling hard and deforming them, so if I didn't like it I could put them back in.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Kartboy Rear Subframe Lockdown Bolts
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2014, 05:09:54 pm »
Installed the Kartboy lockdown bolts today.  ($30 brand new or $20 new off private sale on nasioc)  Install was about an hour.  I followed these directions on nasioc http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1752267 .  So the car is definitely more firm now.  The old subframe bushings in there were defeated.  I gladly let them let them go to the light.  Still no nvh.  I had oversteer coming onto the main road out of my neighborhood.  Less bouncy feel, and again more connected.  I noticed this upgrade more then the outriggers.

If you decide to try this, chase the threads with a tap first.  Cheapest one i found was at gregg's distributors $8, Viking brand part# 84240
m12x1.25  I used a 5/16 wrench to turn it, I"m sure you could use an 8mm too.  Spray pb blaster, give it a minute then have at her slowly.  Turn back and forth accordingly to let the rust fall out.

Also, it calls for 60 ft.lbs but I went to 50.  I think that's enough, maybe I'll adjust it when I'm on a hoist.

Next is the tic rear diff bushings, when they arrive in the mail, then Group N engine/tranny mounts, tic crossmember bushings.  I'm happy I decided to firm up instead of try to pump out more hp. 

Offline aleco

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2005 impreza wrx wagon,2002 wrb,nissan 300zx tt
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Kartboy Outriggers / Botox Bolts
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2014, 10:47:49 pm »
good job Brian and i really like the garage heater  >:D

Offline Roadwarrior

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX, 2006 Ford Focus
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2014, 10:12:16 am »
Sounds like im doing all the same things as you are right now. I have the same rear subframe bolts waiting to go in, and also just did the outrigger bushings last week. And will be doing the same trans bushings and the group n trans mount im grabbing off you. Is it hard to get at the lock bolts? I want to do it but don't have a lot of time so have been putting it off till im in town for a bit and not running around all the time.
God must love crazy people, he made a lot of them.

Offline Dutchy

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Camaro SS 1le
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2014, 12:13:54 pm »
Sounds like im doing all the same things as you are right now. I have the same rear subframe bolts waiting to go in, and also just did the outrigger bushings last week. And will be doing the same trans bushings and the group n trans mount im grabbing off you. Is it hard to get at the lock bolts? I want to do it but don't have a lot of time so have been putting it off till im in town for a bit and not running around all the time.

The lock bolts are pretty easy to get at.  Jack the rear up and you can see them.  Just make sure that you trace them with a tap first to prevent damaging the threads or ripping the nut off. 

Things are looking good Brian.  Are you going to do any of the bushings for the rear control are or lateral links?

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2014, 04:01:43 pm »
Thanks Alex, you can borrow the heater anytime  ;D

Yea, like Dutchy said, there super easy to expose.  Jack up the car and they'll be staring you in the face.  Two 17mm bolts front and back and a 12mm hole inbetween.  It's possible even to do it without jacking up the car but it'll be tight.  Your going to want to chase the threads.  I had no choice, I tried to hand turn the bolts in and they weren't catching.  You can borrow my tap if you want.  I won't be using anytime soon. 

Both lateral links bushings, yes, and trailing arms ass-well, yes.  From what I've heard there not going to be very fun.  I was also looking at the anti-lift kit but still lots to read and contemplate.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2014, 08:03:54 pm »
Just now, installed the "Turn In Concepts Rear Diff Mount Bushings - Comfort".  $30 private sale.  I followed these instructions from the TIC website forum http://turninconcepts.com/install_forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13 . Install was 2 hrs.  The car is absolutely tighter back there, it feels right.  The car is wasting less energy bouncing and wants to move forward.  It feels nimble. It feels quicker, could be just a mind thing.  The car seems to stay square, less roll.  I do get a whine decelerating in gear on the freeway.  It's more of a hmmmm then a whine.  It's not loud but you can tell it's there if you listen for it.  I like it.  Highly recommend all 3 of my last upgrades.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Outriggers / Lock Bolts / Rear diff mount bushings
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:21 pm »
From what I've heard there not going to be very fun.  I was also looking at the anti-lift kit but still lots to read and contemplate.

They aren't. Two I fought with forever, two I had learned my lesson on the other side and weren't that bad. After air hammers, press, torches, the only thing that worked without getting too destructive was half a hacksaw blade in an airsaw, hammer and chisel to separate it once it was cut.
They are well worth it though, I do suspect mine were going bad since it did fix my mystery clunk I've had for the past year but the rear of the car feels a hundred times better in every way, accelerating/braking, cornering, stability at speed and seems to let the suspension work better and not deflect the wheels back when they hit a bump. I also highly recommend the anti lift kit, if I bought another Subaru, even if only as a DD I would do an ALK, and rear trailing arm bushings just for the extra feel of stability instead of the wheels feeling like they were connected to the body by rubber bands.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2014, 09:13:58 pm »
Thanks for sharing some pictures and information.  I'm also doing similar upgrades.  Mine are during my swap so they're all being done while components are out.  For now I'm doing the TIC Unabombers Sexy Rearend (race), TIC Trans bushings, Group N Trans mount, a mix of TIC/Kartboy/Cobb Shifter bushings.  What anti-lift are you thinking of doing?  I just purchased the Whiteline kit for the front control arms, and will be doing the Whiteline roll center kit too.
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 11:40:02 am »
Jesis, looks like those bushings were at Hiroshima.   >:D  Did you try a press?  I've got access but I hate working on the car at work.  Possibility of sleeping there.  I think I'll try to poke a hole with a punch, then try a sawzall in there to loosen it up and get a couple screwdrivers like the rear diff bushings I just did.  I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Pretty amped about getting the front of the car done.  Anticipating driving with these installed: GroupN engine/tranny mounts, crossmember bushings, steering bushings.  The anti-lift I had my eye on is the Whiteline kit or Perrin.  The other kits don't change caster so, no, booo.  There was issues with some earlier whiteline stuff but I think it's since been taking care of.  The roll center kit, I might try when I need new ball joints, but nothing planned.

Going to try to do the tranny mount tonight, but we'll see, might not have time. I got free tickets to see the Oilers attempt to play Hockey.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2014, 10:59:32 pm »
One step colder plugs installed today.  Super easy as expected.  Doesn't need a write-up, just an update for personal reference down the road.  124698 kms.  These guys aren't cheap like copper plugs, I remember over $7 ea at parts source.  Apparently, I can pull more timing but I ain't going to get dynoed just for this.  I'll just use it as insurance.  Small tip:  for the plugs closer to the fire wall on both sides, I flipped the electronics upside down before I pulled it out to make it clear easier, you'll see if you try it, also i only removed the wash fluid tank, left everything else in.

Offline aleco

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - one step colder ngks
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 07:24:17 pm »
o see that you like take things apart, come by tomorrow i have a good job for you loooooooooooooool

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Group N Tranny mount and TIC crossmember bushings
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2014, 09:09:06 pm »
Installed the Group N Tranny mount and TIC crossmember bushings.  ($80 mount, $30 bushings)  Install was hour and a half.  I used these instructions http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/diy-group-n-wrx-sti-12239.html and these http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/diy-wrx-sti-whiteline-transmission-12238.html?t=12238 .  The tranny mounts and the bushings are way harder then the oem parts but to be honest, driveability hasn't changed very much.  NVH is the same as previous.  The shifting while loaded up feels a tad bit smoother,  throttle response feels the same.  I did stall today at a light, not sure if it's related.  Kind of disappointed, but maybe it'll feel better with the group N engine mounts installed.

Tip: Don't torque anything down on re-install until all the bolts are already started, you might have to shift the crossmember around to line up all the bolts. The biggest bushing goes on the rear at the top.  I used 26 ft.lbs for the trannymount, 52ft.lbs for the 14mm bolts and 103 ft.lbs for the 17mms.

Next up will be the group N engine mounts.

Also, oil changed 124,774 kms rotella t6 and fram fillter.

Tranny mount

Front Crossmember

Rear Crossmember

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - AEM Uego
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2014, 08:44:07 pm »
Installed the AEM- wideband today.  ($180 brand new from AB-Rally)  Install was about 2 hours.  Fairly easy, only had to remove the intercooler.  My downpipe already had a bung so I got lucky there.   I went in through the firewall underneath the brake booster, which came out between the clutch and brake pedals.  Went up behind the gauge cluster and tapped into the power and ground from my defi gauges.   

I had to bend my cobb heat shield to accommodate, no biggie.  Reads normally 14-15, decelerating reads blank - - - ,  but when I shift it reads 11 or 12, I might be switching bov's soon.  Overall satisfied with it.  It's nice to know what's going on with the car.

Also, evened up the hood, went for a car wash and tried to clean the air filter.  Filter was nasty, it's going in the garbage. 

Offline aleco

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - AEM wideband
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2014, 09:37:59 pm »
nice air filter Brian >:D

Offline Roadwarrior

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX, 2006 Ford Focus
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 10:29:18 am »
Wow that really is a gross air filter.
God must love crazy people, he made a lot of them.

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 10:53:22 am »
Did that air filter look like that when you got your tune in the fall?
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 05:02:40 pm »
I always knew it needed a cleaning but not that bad.  The filter sits in the fender and the visible side isnt very dirty so i left it.  I'm wondering myself now if it was like that for the tune.  Damnit I should HAVE checked. Doh.

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »
Oh it wasn't a comment directed towards you in a "should have checked" tone. I'm just thinking that you may have some "room" in your setup for a higher numbers across the board. Maybe some increased fuel economy too(?).

Do you have fender liners removed? How did it get so crazy dirty?
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - 04 Tails
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2014, 07:27:15 pm »
I know, but saying to myself, I should have checked.  Tunes aren't free hehe.  Anyway got a new filter so all goodie now.  And my 04 sti tail lights arrived in the mail.  The way it's suppose to be.