Author Topic: 10secdream's 04 Forester XT 5MT - Sold  (Read 27705 times)

Offline Jimmy@Vex

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • what
    • VEX Performance
  • Ride: GTE swapped GS300, VIP LS430, Datsun 240Z, Outback XT
Re: 10secdream's 04 Forester XT 5MT - Rough Engine Idle & Transmission Woes
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 12:07:52 am »
Define center diff issues. Like it destroyed something, or it just caused shudders slippage etc and could be remedied by swapping out the fluid?

Binding. Swap out fluid, problem gone.
Apexi Power Exel Certified -- Haltech Certified -- ECUTek Factory Trained -- AEM Factory Trained
Vex Performance

Offline Jimmy@Vex

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • what
    • VEX Performance
  • Ride: GTE swapped GS300, VIP LS430, Datsun 240Z, Outback XT
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2014, 12:08:44 am »

So long as you aren't running that non certified royal purple itshay

we can agree on that
Apexi Power Exel Certified -- Haltech Certified -- ECUTek Factory Trained -- AEM Factory Trained
Vex Performance

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2014, 08:17:18 am »
Well now I am completely torn which one to buy  :P
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:18 am »
I believe the motylgear should be cheaper as its semi synthetic vs red line being fully synthetic. That being said during my search for oil I've never seen any mention of the red line causing diff binding. And if it does do it you could just drain it out and fill it with the motylgear

Then there are the various cocktails out there that are continually debated. I'll likely just run a straight fluid as I'm getting the tranny shop to fire it in and I don't want something to go wrong and them blame it on the crazy oil I made them put in it.

Then there's always the classic Subaru extra s,  which I think is now rebranded as Subaru high performance gear oil. Iirc one of the dealerships is rebottleing it to sell it in liter size but I can't recall which.

Another thing I have to contend with is availability as I'm on foot, and vex is literally like a block away from the tranny shop vs Subaru and all the performance shops that stock red line being in the opposite side of the city. The only fluids my tranny shop stocks is Bosch amsoil and Royal purple.

Decisions decisions.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
Re: 10secdream's 04 Forester XT 5MT - 95% Sure Idle is Fixed & Transmission Woes
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 12:34:38 pm »
Fluid/oil debates are usually approached with the same mentality in which people who follow various religions approach things - without reason, evidence, analysis, and he/she said stories.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Re: 10secdream's 04 Forester XT 5MT - 95% Sure Idle is Fixed & Transmission Woes
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 01:01:19 pm »
I've been using Amsoil 75W90 SevereGear for the past 3 weeks, no problems at all.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Well made some progress now that I have no vehicles to detail in my garage. Looks like I am 9 bolts away from getting the tail section off. Curious to see what I find.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Hopefully all goes well. Do you have another vehicle as a DD? If so what is it?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey (wifes) and a 2012 Scion tC.

Plan is to replace the tC and the Forester with an STI(revised one if they do revise it). Or keep the Forester and keep bouncing it down rig roads.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Hopefully all goes well. Do you have another vehicle as a DD? If so what is it?

You need another car to DD. It's so bad, I'm almost tempted to lend one to you.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
^^ Does the comment refer to me?
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Well I have no secondary car, and you're driving an Odyssey, so 50/50 chance.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Well I have no secondary car, and you're driving an Odyssey, so 50/50 chance.

Correction my wife drives an Odyssey but in all honesty its probably the best value for the money I have spent on a vehicle to date.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai

No, it referred to the one I quoted, that lives in Calgary, near me. Just hijacking your thread for no good reason. Carry on!

* LilDrunkenSmurf whistles nonchalantly.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: 10secdream's 04 Forester XT 5MT - Wanted Transfer Gears (1:1 ratio)
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2014, 12:22:22 pm »
As I suspected boom went the bearings in the transfer case. Does anyone have a 1:1 ratio transfer gears and shafts for sale? I may also need a center differential but I have been unable to examine it due to it being difficult to remove.

2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2014, 12:35:13 pm »
Are the gears actually damaged/shafts scored? Etc Etc? I'd imagine a bad center diff would give a different separate symptom than just whining.  There are a couple busted 5 speeds kicking around in Calgary iirc for cheap that you could salvage parts from, but they don't state what the issue is with them however.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission-drive-train/calgary/pair-of-ej25-legacy-transmissions/1018373823?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2014, 12:44:34 pm »
I attached the photos. Shafts look fine but the gears are shot. I wish I was in Calgary so I could take a look. I do know that on some transfer shafts the ratios are not 1:1. I counted all the gears and I have 31 teeth on each gear.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2014, 01:07:23 pm »
I'd almost hazard a guess at saying it might be cheaper/safer just to go with new and have a tranny shop press on the new gears and bearings, seeing as the shafts appear fine. The only question is availability of the gears. When my bearings were ordered they were all apparently in stock in the Canadian warehouse, however I got lucky and didn't have any chewed gears.

If come Monday when subaru is open there's no gear availability I might be able to check into the tranny's for you, but I wouldn't be able to deliver the parts myself as I have minimal time before I go back to work (Wednesday evening). Also I'm not sure how game the guy would be for letting me pop the tail shaft off to inspect them before buying.

Theres also this http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JF1SG63624G703173 In Calgary
And this http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JF1SF63591G715102 and this http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JF1SF655XWG701391 In Edmonton

Might be able to ask the dealer to cross reference the P/N's for the gears with that other vins to see if they match if you find no availability, I know they changed the style of the center diff in the late 90's I'm just not sure when on the fozzy. If I had to guess they'd bill it out as a transfer case, which is about ~$160.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Well everywhere I read says the center differential should just fall out the back but mine is not moving at all. After looking everything over it appears as though I had the cir-clip fail on my phase 2 center dif. Looks like the clip destroyed the gears, center dif and bearings.

At this point my options are replacing the transmission or some nice donor tail end parts from a phase 1 or phase 2 with a 1:1 transfer ratio.

2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Sorry to hear, that sounds like one hell of a mess. I guess the other question is how much of that crap is still floating around in the main body of the transmission, and will flushing it out with a couple fluid changes be enough to get it out.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
It is tough to say but I'm guessing all the mess is in the tail section.

I'm surprised it drove still considering the amount of damage that occurred. That clip is a terrible design and a ticking time bomb.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Canuckrz,

I suggest welding the cir clip while you have the differential out to ensure that the clip doesn't come apart like mine.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
The tranny is already reassembled, and I doubt the shop would have been game for welding tranny internals. Modifying oem, heat tempering and whatnot.

I guess the other question is was the cir clip the chicken or the egg. Could bearing failure have led to the cir clip vibrating free which caused more destruction, or was it the cir clip coming free that caused everything.

In my searches for the whining issue I never came across the clip failure like yours, so hopefully its a fairly uncommon thing as I assume this is a pretty generic design across the Subaru range as most other things with Subaru.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
It is a well noted problem but not common like transfer bearings.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2432712
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build