Author Topic: Need advice on car audio  (Read 4170 times)

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Need advice on car audio
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:27:21 pm »
I am looking to replace the factory 6 disc head unit with something a little more modern.

Currently I am looking at the Parrot Asteroid Smart to use with my Oneplus One but wanted to know what other people are using/liking.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Re: Need advice on car audio
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:37 pm »
What are you looking for in a headunit? You want bluetooth, navigation, ipod control, auxiliary, cds, Pandora (whatever that is), are you picky about button colour, etc.

For me personally, I have a pioneer avh4400. I got it for two reasons. First being that it had ipod control. I wanted something that i could plug in the ipod and forget it. Control it all on the touch screen.
Second reason is the button colour. I'm slightly ocd, so I had to have matching button colour to the rest of my dash. (even my air Spencer air freshner is green rather than the blue everyone has) with this unit you can fine tune the button colour to your liking.
I love it. Very fast connection time, looks great, and I've never had a problem with it in the cold winter months. Ipod frozen but the headunit never fails me.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 11:03:41 pm »
I've always just ran generic Pioneer double din DVD headunits. I think my current one in the fozzy is the avh-p3300bt.

My needs are generally simple. It has to have a a reasonably good built in amp, aux in, equalizer, play dvd's, and like Jay have customizable LED's, and be easy to override the handbrake. It has to play DVD's just because I'm too damn lazy to reencode videos just to play them. The headunits haven't let me down, and have paid for themselves several times over on cross Canada road trips. Its one hell of a lot easier to stay awake for long periods of time with something mentally engaging playing even if you can't really see it.

That being said since our Fozzys can have that dash top headunit mount I was considering building a CarPC, mount the pc in an double din enclosure in the stock location, and mount the screen in the dash top location.

But these new android headunits do interest me as well, don't know much about them, but they show promise.

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 11:48:11 am »
The new Pioneer units are really nice.

What are your requirements? Are you changing anything else? Amps, speakers, subs... or just leaving everything stock?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 11:52:04 am »
Currently I am just looking for an improvement that is better than stock.

I ended up buying a Jensen VX7020c at visions over boxing day because it was dirt cheap and had decent reviews online. I realize that pioneer makes a far superior product but for $250 I figured why not and the FXT is my winter beater.

I also bought a pair of 6.5" alpine e type speakers for 28 bucks to replace the factory front door speakers. I am hoping this is good enough and an improvement over the stock units. In the future I might add an amp but I doubt I will keep the car that long.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:38 am »
No harm in adding the amp, you sell the car just take out the amp for the next one.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 11:55:22 am »
True enough. I will probably just hold out for the next good deal. I keep telling my wife I am not going to spend money on this car and just save for a summer toy to play with. :sarcasm:
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »
Also don't forget that by removing the factory head unit in the fxt you will lose the stock sub. The stock head unit is a 5 channel amp, aftermarket is only 4.

Im presently looking into a small <100w amp that I can hide in the dash to power the factory sub or perhaps an upgraded sub in the oem location.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 12:56:13 pm »
I believe snackers had this issue in his FXT as well.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 01:20:45 pm »
Also don't forget that by removing the factory head unit in the fxt you will lose the stock sub. The stock head unit is a 5 channel amp, aftermarket is only 4.

Im presently looking into a small <100w amp that I can hide in the dash to power the factory sub or perhaps an upgraded sub in the oem location.

I plan on upgrading the sub and adding an amp in the future as well.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 11:33:40 pm »
Do you have dual climate control? If you do and want to keep it, the dash kit is expensive. If not than ignore me lol.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 04:42:30 am »
Do you have dual climate control? If you do and want to keep it, the dash kit is expensive. If not than ignore me lol.
I'm pretty sure that's a leggy specific issue. The fozzy is built off the impreza chassis and has a standard sized head unit opening on the dash. No dash kit needed.

Unless you were referring to my mention of a dash top kit, which is an oem accessory to mount your head unit on the top of the dash where the cubby hole is. It's not nessessary, but makes the unit more visible and accessible imo. Plus I think it looks cool.

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »

How about under the driver's seat? Won't have a problem fitting anything under there... assuming fozzies aren't waaaaaay different than imprezas.

There was a cheap Boss 8" sub people were talking about a while back. The stock sub is brutes. Literally an additional midbass.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 10:22:01 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's a leggy specific issue. The fozzy is built off the impreza chassis and has a standard sized head unit opening on the dash. No dash kit needed.

Unless you were referring to my mention of a dash top kit, which is an oem accessory to mount your head unit on the top of the dash where the cubby hole is. It's not nessessary, but makes the unit more visible and accessible imo. Plus I think it looks cool.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the lame-o Leggy HVAC/radio bezel which you are correct in that it only affects...Leggys.

After talking with a couple of people I'm leaning towards the Pioneer NEX units, good as a standalone but integrates pretty well with either an iPhad or Android device.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 06:23:01 am »
I have read nothing but positive things about the NEX devices as well. I think I might just get an under the seat sub and integrated amp to enhance the sound. I don't need window rattling base just an improvement.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:46:07 am »
I think I might just get an under the seat sub and integrated amp to enhance the sound. I don't need window rattling base just an improvement.
I was considering it as well, but I don't want to have to worry about getting water/snow/dirt/etc on my electronics. Plus it might involve drilling into the floor which is bleh. Which is why I figure why not use the factory sub location since it is already there.

There are two ways I could go 6x9, and have a small 60-100rms amp and have everything bolt up:
http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w69-1042j-6x9-subwoofer--264-837
http://www.amazon.ca/SMCM200-200-watts-Monoblock-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00B5MUJ3U (200w peak, can't seem to find the RMS rating)

Or build a "Seascooby" box setup and run a single 8" woofer which will have a lot more choices and arguably sound quality:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f65/sea-scooby-stealth-sub-kits-v2-preorder-round-one-28109/

Unfortunately Seascooby left the community due to health reasons so he is no longer selling his kit. If he was I'd likely just buy it from him. I'm still 50/50 over what way I want to go, with the small amp and 6x9 I might even be able to get away with factory cables for real simplicity.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »
Does the 6x9 sub bolt in perfectly to the factory location? Clearly I am not researched and never thought that they actually make a 6x9 subwoofer.

With this is mind I will probably go this route.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 12:37:42 pm »
snackers did an OEM location 6x9 upgrade. http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=24850.msg470923#msg470923
I vaguely recall it being totally fine, but not really able to handle high volumes.

carguyjon has done an underseat all-in-one and it sounds pretty good.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »
^^ After reading the snacker install the all in one under the passenger seat might just be way to go. I am getting to old to rip apart stuff and cut it apart. The simpler the better.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »
IIRC, this is the one jon has http://www.crutchfield.ca/Kenwood_KSC_SW11_Compact_Powered_Subwoofer_p/113kscsw11.htm

there are a few different kinds that probably all work about the same.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Sound_Ordnance_B_8PTD_Powered_8_Subwoofer_p/777b8ptd.htm

http://www.amazon.ca/Lanzar-Vctbs8-600w-Amplifier-Subwoofer/dp/B00IWIS4XM/ref=sr_1_32?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1417724978&sr=1-32&keywords=slim+subwoofer

I was considering it as well, but I don't want to have to worry about getting water/snow/dirt/etc on my electronics. Plus it might involve drilling into the floor which is bleh. Which is why I figure why not use the factory sub location since it is already there.

Drilling? You're crazy. Velcro!

Most people end up mounting their amps for separate subs under the seat anyway. I just get people to mind their feet and it hasn't been a problem, and I have a larger 5 channel under my driver's seat.

The all in ones are usually pretty contained and muck resistant, most are designed for under seat so some consideration was probably given to that.

I ended up getting a a small 8" JLw3 in a small box and tossing it in the hatch. Hasn't hindered me transporting engine hoists, engines, trans', hockey stuff, sets of wheels& tires, and I'm rarely wanting for bass.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 08:48:56 am »
I put one of those prefab ported 8w3's in my GFs Mini. Sounds reeeeeal good.

Quite a bit of dollhairs tho.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 08:33:00 am »
Got my new deck installed last night. Install was simple and I am surprised how well this thing works.

Next step is replacing the speakers and cutting apart the stock ones to use as mounts.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:33 am »
There are a few companies that make the adapters if you want to take the lazy way out, unless you feel like being creative.

http://www.paranoidfabrications.com/shop/subaru-impreza-08-front-door-speaker-spacers-pair/

They also make precut "big 3" and grounding kits for the impreza chassis. I'm probably going to end up buying all 3, as the pricing isnt too shabby and saves me the legwork and soldering.

http://www.paranoidfabrications.com/shop/the-sti-lucid-grounding-kit/
http://www.paranoidfabrications.com/shop/the-big-three-kit/

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 10:40:11 am »
Seems like a decent option and I can order some saggy butt spacers as well. ;D
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 12:10:17 pm »
Yep, those paranoid spacers are great.

Snackers used untreated MDF in his install IIRC.

They're probably the equivalent of wet newspaper by now.

For the time and effort invested to fab something yourself you're better off buying the paranoid ones.